Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:30 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
"While I can understand a desire for the third option... I would strongly argue against it. However trustworthy Makosan is, he is, I'm sad to say, not terribly useful. The path to the truth is wrought with hardship and danger, and risks must be taken in order to produce stronger results. I would sooner return to the HQ before striking out on my own or seeking the assistance of someone who is largely unrelated to the threats we face now."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:20 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
"You know, I hate it when we agree, Detective." Serpico shakes his head. "It never bodes well. But here's how it is. The council stifles. The third party is too small. I think its just as likely we'll need to stop him, but I say we go with Tiranade."

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:10 am 
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
"A temporary alliance with Tiranade does not preclude later termination of the alliance, whether overtly or covertly. It may make interactions with Makosan problematic, but this may potentially be overcome. It is possible, though unlikely, that we may even be able to re-align with the Arbiters by convincing them of the danger or feigning captivity However, rejection of Tiranade's offer make it extremely unlikely that we will be able to take advantage of such alliance in the future should it prove beneficial. As such, my recommendation is for the temporary alliance. However, I defer to Harmony's final judgment."

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:49 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
"Logical as ever, Awakener." Harmony gives a wry smile. "Much as I respect Makosan, and I do believe I could work with him... the fact of the matter is that he does not have the information that Tiranade does. If he had it, he would have suggested it as a possibility when I last spoke with him. He is also too... volatile, emotionally. I feel like he thinks too much with his heart. Ideally we would bring the three back together... but I doubt we could ever convince Makosan to give Tiranade the chance." She seems lost in thought for a moment, then shakes her head. "Even were we to go to Makosan, we would also have to find a way to unseal him from his mortality... which brings us right back to Tiranade anyway, since he was the one who did the bindings. I have already examined them... I am not confident that we could free him our own." She turns to Athena. "I am of the opinion that we work with Athena and Tiranade. We hear what Tiranade has to say about the Unknown, and have him explain what he is doing and why he is doing it. If it turns out that we disagree with his methods... at best we have learned what he knows and part ways amiably. At worst, by working with Athena we can try and remove him as a threat."

She turns to face the others.

"Returning to HQ is too dangerous. Makosan likely knows less than Tiranade does, and is more of an unknown quantity. That leaves us with Tiranade as our only option. And that is my choice, both personally and as the leader of this team."

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:33 am 
Chandi remains silent, glowering as Harmony responds with her own rant to counter Chandi's. Chandi's head drops, ever so slightly, as Harmony starts, but when she approaches the end of her speech, Chandi's muscles tense, and despite her tightly closed mouth, a small glowing pale green light escapes from the split in her lower lip, absolute fury in her piercing gaze. Then a spark of realization glints in Chandi's eyes, and the glow fades, the muscles release, and she shudders. When Harmony leans in to finish, Chandi's breath ceases. It returns a few moments later, unsure, unsteady, almost unwillingly. Athena's response only makes Chandi's breathing worse, and her head drop lower. Her fist clenches, and Ajagara only barely manages to slither out of her grasp before the goddesses' strength would have made breathing difficult for the little lizard, wrapping around her wrist and separating from its bolt form in order to continue the climb up Chandi's arm, finally settling on her shoulder with a concerned look in its beady eyes, and a quiet squeak to signal its discomfort. As the rest of the group makes their decision, Chandi's breath steadies slightly, and she unclenches her fist. She raises her hand close to her face, turning and staring into the palm. A thin scar runs from the tip of her thumb, growing thicker as it reaches the endpoint below her wrist. A small piece of the discolored flesh peeks around the other side of her palm, nearest the pinkie, leading to a thick scar that crosses the whole of the back of her hand. She remembers these two. Both from the same fight. Chandi focuses, just barely, and can feel burning pulse underneath the scars, the thumping pain of a soul trying to connect with something that isn't there anymore. She recalls the fight with Shin, the last fight. What she saw when she opened her eyes. There was a link here. It was small, weak. Wouldn't hold for much longer. She can almost see it now, even with her eye closed.

"I abstain. Decide what you will. I'll make do." She say, only slightly above a whisper. "I always have." She finishes, almost imperceptibly, to herself.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:52 am 
Alexis looks up at Chandi for a moment, then steps forward and envelops what he can reach of her in a giant winged hug.

Since Alexis is only about a metre tall, that's Chandi's legs and stomach.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Lumina doesn't follow the conversation. She doesn't bother saying anything more on the matter, she's said all she's had to say. Instead, she walks after Chandi and Alexis. Moving past Chandi until she's right in front of her, then kneels down and places her hand and Chandi's shoulder.

"Listen to me, Chandi. You're my friend, okay? We've lived together in the dormitories. Learned together in class. Fought together in the field. And you'll always have a place with me, alright? I don't know what you've been through in the past, but you're here with us now and I want you to know that you'll always have a home with me, okay?"

Lumina smiles, sitting down beside Chandi and trying to cheer up her Friend.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:42 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Athena agrees with Awakener, "Indeed. We can feign captivity without issue. You'll be able to leave if you so wish." A second feather appears above Athena and sinks into her head, "We're out of time..."

Tiranade appears arms extended, eyes filled with glowing runes as a shockwave blasts outwards, past the group and around the planet, extending into space. "The Elders will be upon us shortly - I can hold them back only so long. Have you all come to a decision?"

Athena nods, "We will all come with you... but I have some stipulations." Tiranade makes a grunt as he works his barrier, "One - I am in charge of them... if they will still have me, I wish to continue their education. Two - They can leave at any time; we feign their captivity so if they wish to return to the Arbiters, they may. And finally - you still let my people go. My planet as well if you can manage it... you lose an army for elites."

The scarred feline god locks eyes with his teacher for but a moment, "...done. However you must still make your own defection a public matter. And right now."

"I understand." Tiranade flies high into the air as Athena turns towards Those Who Remember, "Stay here. It's time we make a stand -- please do not reveal yourselves - you are our 'captives' now." She follows Tiranade into the sky and out into space, still well within Tiranade's new barrier.

He closes his eyes and suddenly a small ethereal portal appears in front of each of Those Who Remember, showing the image of Tiranade and Athena floating above the world. Tiranade has pulled his hood back up; Athena is the first to speak. "Attention Arbiters and students... This is Ex-Elder Athena. What you see now cannot be blocked, as you are viewing it from a link forged to you in secret today in the school... where a threat went undetected and resolved by my students. You have all been touched by a Blight - and it is through that link I speak to you now. The Elder Counsel would not wish you to see this... but they cannot stop it."

The hooded figure floats forward and speaks quietly, "None of you know me... and if you one did, you have forgotten me as I had erased myself from memory. I lift that cloak now..." He pulls out his Double-Helix sword and swipes upwards, where a large bundle of purple energy strand appear, catch, and shred like taught rope on his blade. He pulls down his hood, revealing his scarred feline face, "I am Tiranade Fireblaze. Those of you who had heard of me before wrote me off as a delusion by a scarred teacher..." he motions towards Athena, "...nothing more than a psychosis brought on by trauma. This is not true... I am quite real."

"You Elder Gods should now be remembering our last conversation, where I tried to convince you of the existence of the Unknown; shortly before being nearly unraveled by Solarus." There is a huge boom and the entire planet shakes - Tiranade's barrier trembles. "As you can plan see, they now knock at my door. So I shall keep this brief."

Tiranade points at the black crystal attached to the planet, "This is the Blight... an Runic Program of my own creation that connects and focuses all the souls of a world into one unified power. It is with that power that I will battle the Unknown... and heal them." He beckons Athena forward, "The Elder Gods would have you believe that Soul Scars cannot be healed... That. Is. A. LIE!" He snaps his fingers, the Black Crystal splits and a Black Crystal Golem covered in runes and blazing with energy flies upwards to the two. "Using the Home Planet of a scarred God as a focus point and uniting the energy of her people, I can heal Soul Scars... this is just the first in many steps that will bring balance to the Universe - not the Arbiter brand Balance, but TRUE balance." There is another huge blast and the barrier around them begins to glow red at a single point that spreads outwards.

Athena floats forward, "My friends... my colleagues. I am going to unravel." The shaking stops, the glowing spot ceases to grow and cools. "It has been a long time coming... I have even linked myself to an empty area of space where I can explode without worry of damaging anyone or anything else around me. I had consigned myself to this fate long ago... but today? With my former student Tiranade... am I being granted a second lease on existence I never thought I'd have the chance to obtain."

The Golem floats in front of Athena, Tiranade places her hands on it's shoulders and the streamlined Blight on her body begins to resonate with it; resonate with the crystal; resonate with every soul on the planet below... even with Those Who Remember. "Let this day be forever remembered; let this be the start of the new era. The way of the Arbiters is over!" He stabs Athena through the back - the shift pierces through her chest and impales the Golem - Athena's arms go out sideways, the Golem's follow suit and she begins to scream.

Tiranade's eyes transform into Runes as he pushes Athena hard on the small of her back, into the Golem - through the Golem as if it were made of air and out the other side, off his blade, where she slumps and floats... and then straightens out. The Blight on her skin is gone... her scars are GONE. She turns around stunned, looking at the Golem... which is now covered in her scars. It quickly crumbles into dust, followed by the Giant Crystal embedded on the planet. The planet remains unharmed, the Leyline unscathed, it's people waking up as if from a deep sleep. The blasts resume the barrier, harder and faster than ever.

"I... I am... healed...." Tears well in her eyes.

"Using the Blight as a transfer circuit, and the combined soul power of an entire world - I can shift Soul Scars onto a soulless shell, forcing them to manifest physically and destroying that shell - taking the Scars with it." He turns towards the portal front, "Some Gods define themselves by their scars..." he runs a finger along his own, "I will never force a cure on anybody... but if you are going to be destroyed by your scars, or no longer want them - then seek me out. I will repair you." The glowing red hot spot on the barrier is now bigger than the planet itself. "Until then, I issue this to the Arbiters... Athena is mine. As are her students - they will be wards in my service... do not seek them out." He grabs Athena by the wrist and disappears - the portals close.

He appears between Those Who Remember with Athena as the barrier shatters - and floating like a sun unleashed is Solarus, his full fury burning down towards the entire group.

"SOLARUS YOU'LL SHATTER THE PLANET!!" Athena screams.

"Tch..." As the huge wave of fire blasts downwards, Tiranade slams his sword into the ground, strains and suddenly everything is enveloped in darkness.

--------------------------------

The lights in a small office come on, much like Athena's classroom but smaller. There is no door, but only a window leading out into space, showing a massive starscape. In the center of the room is a round table, with more than enough chairs for everyone to sit. Athena catches the edge of the table and trembles as Tiranade slumps down into a chair - Those Who Remember are still standing.

"My world... did he..."

Tiranade takes a deep breath, "I teleported your World away from the blast, but not here, as promised. Your people are free... but I don't know what Solarus will do with them so I moved them far away from any Arbiter world." He's sweating profusely. "Damned crazy old man..."

Athena takes a seat and breathes a sigh of relief, "T... thank you Tiranade..."

He holds up a shaking hand and waves, grinning weakly. "I must rest... that took a lot more than I thought it would... however, I believe I owe you all some answers. Please, take a seat - ask what you will of me, I will explain all I can. If I cannot, I will tell you so - but I will not lie. You know why by now." He motions to the table, beckoning Those Who Remember to sit. "We are safe here - the Arbiters cannot find this place." He grins, "It's my own private little bubble of a Universe."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:06 pm 
Asch watches the healing and the destruction calmly and emotionlessly, as though it were too outlandish to warrant an actual reaction. The moment they are ported to Tiranade's room, she finds the closest seat and slouches in to it, releasing a rather long sigh.

"Haaaaaaaaaaaannnn... what a day... and what a shame I have no library to return to for relaxing... oh well, just the same..."

Turning to Tiranade, she says, "As I'm sure you are quite aware, I have a thousand years worth of questions regarding the Unknown, but those can wait. The more immediate and pressing concern I have to ask first is... why did you refer to me by that name? I have never in my existence claimed that name as my own; Ashley is the name of the Witch, and it is not appropriate to address me as such."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:28 pm 
"Because..." He turns to Asch, contemplating his response for a moment while glancing at Harmony and Chandi, "I am chasing an Unknown that has called you that... I will explain the Unknown in due time here, once your questions are answered... but for one to have a name mean it's extremely powerful." He laces his fingers together, resting his elbows on the table and his chin on his fingers, "It goes by the name Wargrave."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:41 pm 
"Ah. Well then. That makes us even more likely allies, doesn't it."

With an eager smirk, she leans forward and says, "I figured as much - the moment I saw the memory of you speaking to the council about the Unknown, everything fell in to place. Everything I 'know' about him matches the description of the Unknown to a T. The Mystery Breakers classified him as a Demon, but it seems that is inaccurate." Her face then darkens. "So you've encountered him? Or is this third party information? Regardless..." She starts to mutter to herself, lost in thought.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Hmm..." Lumina thinks for a minute before asking her question. "You said that these Unknown are created when a soul is unraveled... Is this the only way an Unknown is created? What if a soul is destroyed by other means? We need all the information you have on them. Anything you might not already have informed us concerning them."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Harmony eyes Asch carefully, her eyes narrowed... but eventually she shakes her head, murmuring "A witch, a detective, and a little girl in a library..."

She steps forward, her arms folded across her chest. "Yes Tiranade, I do indeed have some questions. Specifically... exactly how does the Blight work? Let me tell you what I have been able to figure out... It is an advanced Runic AI, programmed, I assume, by you. It connects all beings with Weave on a given planet - up to and including the planet's Leyline itself. It can, to a certain extent, control those beings like puppets if necessary, and is capable of utilizing Runes on its own. It is capable of reversing the normal flow of energy, causing it to flow from inhabitant to Leyline rather than Leyline to inhabitant. It can siphon off that energy directly from the Leyline to grow more powerful. It can, as we just saw, be used as a focus of energy for the people of the planet."

"What I don't understand is, if utilizing the Blight is your grand plan, then what precisely happened on Utopia? What were you trying to accomplish with your lovely little experiment there?"

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:53 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Serpico's eyes pop open for a brief moment, when Harmony speaks. But they close again quickly "Hmmmm, hmm hmm..." He hums to himself.

He ruminates for a moment. "Can't say I'm shocked at the almighty Council, you know. Bunch of half wits with too much power to see anything around them, I imagine.." He stops and turns and shows what he assumes to be a winning smile to Athena. "And I'm sure its a recent development!"

He turns to Tiranade. "But honestly, all this is just minor quabbles. Little scraps of trivia and fun facts." He takes a step towards the figure they had so recently suspected. "The team's thrown in with you. So how about you clue us in. WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING?"

His voice raises for a moment with a harsh sound. "We've bet a lot on this, everything, some might say. And all I've heard so far is a bunch of big vague ideas. And it seems none of the rest of you have felt it important enough to ask, so I will. What's next? How about a little clue as to what this little venture has on its to-do list? Especially where we might be involved?"

He shoots a scowl at the others, distinct through his false smile. "No priorities at all. You'd be lost without me, I think."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:12 pm 
Tiranade smile at Asch, "Nearly encountered - which is to say closer than most get to it. Wargrave has a attendance to have just 'left the room' when I arrive somewhere - meaning it keeps itself out of sight and slings mystery from the shadows."

He then glances at Lumina, "Good question, I'll get to that in a moment."

As Harmony explains how she thinks the blight works, Tiranade's grin grows wider, "Very good Harmony, very good indeed. However it does not control it's population like puppets - it's the power of suggestion; for instance, I wanted Athena's world to hold still and let me sort it all out -- I asked, they did so. I do not like to force." He sighs, "What happened on Utopia? A damned foolish Arbiter named Shin saw the people becoming a single mind under the Blight and decided it would be best to shoot first, and ask questions later."

He crosses his arms, "At the point he arrived, the Blight had taken a firm hold of the population. One of the effects of linking everyone to the Leyline is that the planet begins to think and speak on terms we can understand. It tried speaking with Shin - Shin shot the messenger in the face. The planet took it as a threat to itself and the Blight changed - it turned into a defensive barrier, endowing it's people with greater power... however that's where it backfired. Mortals are not made to handle the power of Ether flowing through them... so it began to eat away at tier life force at a rapid rate... all while granting them immortality while connected. It twisted them..." he stares at the desk before him, "By the time I arrived you had all already engaged in battle with them. If Shin hadn't been the first there, or you found a way to communicate with the world - it would have let down it's defenses."

"The original experiment was to test the cloaking effects of the Blight - blacking out the planet. The blackout was detected, my modifications not strong enough - so the Arbiters jumped in. Forgive me for playing the role of the dark and dastardly bad guy," he nods at Harmony, "but I needed information and I needed it quickly - so I stabbed you with a Blight spear to connect you to the world, and thus myself, and try and figure out what was needed."

"Which is how you detected I was still alive..." Athena adds.

"Yes. From there, I added the encoded message, set the Leyline to shatter on defeat of the Gollem, and thus made sure you would get the message Athena. It was not an ordinary Leyline Collapse - I would not put souls through that; so I encapsulated the Goddess triplets with the Mortals and hid them away inside the core. With the distraction defused at HQ, they ought to be waking up right now with no memory of what happened to them. I'm quite glad you still trusted me Athena."

"Your tactics could use some work... people were hurt."

"But Souls were not - and in this war against the Unknown, Souls rank higher than physical bodies."

"So..." Athena picks up after Serpico finishes, "I agree with Serpico. It is time you tell us just what you are planning here, and just what the Unknown are."

"Very well." Tiranade stands and leans against the table. "The Unknown are the opposite of Existence."

"They are, quite literally, sentient beings that exist outside of existence itself. If a life form a mathematical equation, the Unknown would be the result if you divided life by zero."

He raises his hands, the image of a mortal soul appears before him, hovering over the desk. "When a Soul Unravels, there is normally a huge release of energy - and as Lumina asked there are gentler ways to destroy a Soul, but the results are the same." The soul flies apart, leaving shreds of ether in it's wake. "Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, it must always change forms -- the mistake Solarus and other Arbiters make when Unraveling souls is thinking that a dead soul is the end of it... it is not."

"There are two types of Unknown. First, the Feral Unknown - what happens when pieces of different souls drift together and reform." Other bits of shrapnel come floating in, globing together when they get close to other pieces. "Souls are like Mercury - they are attracted to one and other - but when torn apart to this degree, parts of souls of different people; gods, mortals, spirits, everything, can condense into a single new soul." The pieces begin to flow together and spin, much like a sun forming in space. "This process would normally be next to impossible, with the sheer size of our Universe taken into consideration - but it can and has happened."

The soul spins into a bright ball that suddenly goes black, and what appears in it's place is what seems to be a vaguely humanoid hole in the air. "A Feral Unknown. Made of the patchwork of countless souls... an existence that shouldn't exist. The reason they are called Feral is because they are mindless - they act on instinct alone... but it's that very instinct that makes them so dangerous."

"Imagine... you die. You cease to be. There is no afterlife, no memory, not even the ability to observe the darkness that you've become. There is literally nothing for you - you aren't even aware you exist in any form at all. Then..." He claps his hands, "Suddenly you wake up, thousands of millions of other fragments of thoughts in your head, half-forgotten, half-imagined memories screaming at a soul that is in constant pain of being thrown back into an existence that had forgotten it. Everything around you from the stars to even simple animal life serves as a reminder of what you think you once were, just seeing it is pure torture and makes your pain increase thousand fold. Gods forbid you run across a Mortal, or even a God, the pain would be too much to bear...."

"But you cannot die. You exist outside of the rules - you fully experience pain that would shut most mind down, pain that would kill even Gods in an instant - all yours to feel forever. But whats worse? You exist outside of existence... and that gives you the ability to TWIST reality itself to your very will. Even the lowest tiers of Unknown can look at a God and simple wish for it not to be - and that God's Soul will explode. The Feral Unknown are dangerous because they cannot control that need to destroy that which gives them pain... that is to say, everything. But it grows from there! While it is extremely rare to become an Unknown... if you are killed by one? It is a guarantee. You WILL return as an Unknown - and you WILL suffer as they do."

"And that brings us to the second type of Unknown... the Unsullied Unknown. Unknown made up of a single soul that was destroyed, most likely by another Unknown, that then reforms into the opposite of life of what it once was... but these Unknown? They are far more dangerous than even Feral. It's because they REMEMBER WHO THEY ONCE WERE. Feral are spared that aching reality - they can't fully recall what they were, only that existence hurts - Unsullied Unknown remember everything... and with that comes not only a pain that I cannot possibly fathom... but intelligence, knowledge, and full control over their reality warping powers."

"And they - are - PISSED."

"Most of even the Unsullied don't allow themselves names... or if they name themselves, they forget them... but the strongest of them ARE named - and it is the named Unknown that we need to watch out for the most. The worst part is... even if you ever SEE an Unknown? The moment you turn away you forget it was ever there... that is how out of phase from reality they are. Reality is torture for them... and if left alone they will destroy and unravel everything they come across."

"And that..." he sits back down, "Is what the Blight is for... through my experiments with the Blight, I've found how to use it to link minds and souls together. And there has been 1 time - only 1 time - I've ever observed a group of Unknown that weren't in constant torture from existence..." he nods at Harmony, "When the Musica Universalis was playing."

"You see, the Unknown slumber... they sleep to escape the pain, the darker the area of the universe, the less around them there is, the better they sleep. But sleep is not a cure... it just delays them, keeps them from waking and destroying everything. My past 50 years has been spent leading Unknown into the darkness so they can slumber, as well as researching a way to help them. When the Musica Universalis played... the Unknown stopped screaming. Those asleep fell deeper into peaceful dreams for once... instead of tortured ones. And that's when I made the connection... they were all focused, all connected, through the music."

"What the Blight will do - when it's complete, will link the minds and souls of all the Unknown that are out there... and in doing so, the pain will thin, minds will stabilize... giving them kindred spirits, a way to exist without pain, will stop them from tearing down the Universe itself to sink into Eternal Darkness. Because to the Unknown... the only way to stop the pain is to destroy everything that causes it - that is to say... reality itself."

"So I will offer them a cure for the pain through the Blight instead."

"Before I go on... before I tell you how the Arbiters are involved with the Unknown and what I need of you - I need to be sure you understand this all, so ask of me what you will and we will go on."

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG