Long Way From Home, OOC 6: Tracking Down The King Of Thieves

Feel free to role play any way you like. Please DO NOT register new usernames for this purpose. (If you do, we'll have to take this away)

Moderators: Weremensh, Dom/SlimKop, Moderators, Senior Community Staff

Long Way From Home, OOC 6: Tracking Down The King Of Thieves

Postby CCC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:36 pm

You can get an approximate location for the radio transmission easily enough; or at least a direction from the truck (and an Engineering roll can get you a portable detector, though you might need to hide it in your pocket while passing through the city gate's).

But when I say "approximate", it's more a direction than a firm location... even at its best, you're going to be within a few blocks of your target. It's a lot less search space than the entire city, and spending that FATE point can bring you very close to the Guild to start with... but still, while you probably can track down the Guild in this manner, odds are you wouldn't be able to do so with any certainty before lunch.
CCC

Re: Long Way From Home, OOC 6: Tracking Down The King Of Thi

Postby Kajin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:53 am

For some reason I was under the impression we were in the afternoon/evening and we were meeting the kid tomorrow...
Kajin
Gatekeeper of Niftiness

Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze

Postby CCC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 am

It's morning. The kid's expecting you later today.

Or... well, that's when he asked to meet, at least.
CCC

Postby CCC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am

Weremensh wrote:Well, we are going out for ribs...but how would we contact the knights from inside?

Simplest means would be a time limit; "if we're not out in half an hour, then we'd probably appreciate a rescue..."

I'm sure you can come up with something better, though.
CCC

Postby Kajin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Anyone want to skip the lunch and try to find the boss, or head to lunch and meet with the thief now that he's under orders to have us meet with him?
Kajin
Gatekeeper of Niftiness

Postby Kajin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:47 am

Really wishing any of us had thought to have a look at the radio disturbances during the three weeks of downtime we had. Odds are good we'd have solved it in that time. It's definitely something Felix would have looked into, but I just forgot to ask about it >.<

Any way we can retroactively do that since it would be in character for Felix, given his desire to pursue scientific knowledge? I'd be willing to spend a fate point to make it happen.
Kajin
Gatekeeper of Niftiness

Postby CCC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:05 am

...I'll allow a retroactive roll for everyone, considering that, yes, it's been a while.
CCC

Postby Weremensh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:20 am

Arkady is curious as well. And given the time, we could probably have cobbled together a somewhat more sensitive RDF.
Weremensh
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!

Postby CCC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:28 pm

I've put the result in the thread, in a flashback quote.

The sensitivity of the radio apparatus is not the biggest obstacle to studying the sources of these transmissions.
CCC

Postby Kajin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Anyway can we cobble together a method of reducing feedback from this interference, now that we've studied them a fair bit more? If not now or prior, but in the future?

Also, wondering if I could just politely ask one of the interferences over the radio to come for a visit so we can study them and come up with a method to counteract the feedback they cause.
Kajin
Gatekeeper of Niftiness

Postby Weremensh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:05 pm

I was actually thinking about a more sensitive (or precise, anyway) RDF to use to track our little radios. Also; the radio source that passed through the castle was moving fast enough to doppler radio sufficiently for us to notice with the somewhat crude equipment we have at hand? How did we even have time to notice it was approaching? Did it start out in the neighborhood of the local moon? What kind of power output does it seem to have?

Which reminds me; does this world have a moon or moons?

As for reducing interference: we can clean up the signal back to the ship by just setting up a more narrowly focused antenna array pointing back that way. That would boost the effective strength of the signal we want/generate, while minimizing the effect of the gremlins. More portable radios would obviously take a bit of work.
Weremensh
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!

Postby CCC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Also; the radio source that passed through the castle was moving fast enough to doppler radio sufficiently for us to notice with the somewhat crude equipment we have at hand? How did we even have time to notice it was approaching? Did it start out in the neighborhood of the local moon? What kind of power output does it seem to have?

Don't knock your equipment too much. Felix had an Engineering roll total of +11, which allows him to pick up things with a sensitivity that most engineers would insist isn't even in the equipment.

The power received at your receivers seems to be constant, and independent of distance. (Yes, this doesn't appear to make sense). It may well have started in the neighbourhood of the local Moon, the constant power output makes it hard to tell. (And there are two Moons, one significantly smaller than the other).

There are definitely ways to reduce interference, or at least to push your signal past it.

Kajin wrote:Also, wondering if I could just politely ask one of the interferences over the radio to come for a visit so we can study them and come up with a method to counteract the feedback they cause.

Feel free to try. Do you think they're likely to understand frequency modulation? How exactly do you intend to ask?
CCC

Postby Kajin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm

I'd probably start with hoping they understand Elene and asking politely over an open channel. If that doesn't work then we'll likely have to gather more intel before we can do anything on that front.

Assuming one of them did show up or at least showed that it was willing to cooperate, Felix would ask it to move in a continuous circuit for a length of time so he could track its movement and get a feel for how the interference affects the radio. Hopefully this will help Felix block the interference out. Presumably there are other things Felix could learn from these entities, if the entity that stopped by is willing to put up with his curiosities.
Kajin
Gatekeeper of Niftiness

Postby balthazar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Don't forget AM. It's probably the simplist way to encode data, and the most likely to be understood by whatever these things are. Aside from that, our best bet would be to let someone very familiar with both computers and languages in general take a look at the signals we've recorded and see if they can suss out how they encode thier data.

Also, I can see lightning-rods becoming standard equiptment for these experiments.
balthazar

Postby Kajin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Or we could just keep recording and broadcasting what we hear until one of them gets annoyed enough to stop by. We'd also have to hope we don't get struck by lightning.

EDIT
Quick question, how many cryosleep caskets would we have to shut down before it constituted one unit of power produced from the solar panels? Just curious.
Kajin
Gatekeeper of Niftiness

Next

Return to Freestyle RPG