Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:30 pm 
AOL: quesoLOCO27
The Village of Herve is another small establishment, lorded over by those of the noble Havarti line. Since the death of Count Regalou Havarti in the early autumn, lordship over his lands had been divided between his only living kin: Count Esrom Havarti, his nephew, and Countess Sirene Havarti, his daughter.

However, just days ago, the Countess was found murdered in her chambers. It was a particularly brutal crime, leaving Count Esrom Havarti the sole heir to his uncle's lands. The announcement of Countess Sirene's death was coupled by whispers that the official story of the assassination of the Countess did not include a most startling detail. Something about the assassins. Something about... beasts.

Unbeknown to the people of Herve, the truth of the matter is that the village of Edam was attacked by these same brutal beasts. These monsters charade as men by day, and turn to beasts at night. These creatures are Werewolves.

Only nine men were spared from the initial attack, but instead of being relocated, they became suspects in the attack. Of these men, two were found to be beasts. Only one man survived the five days of trials that followed. These trials were based on a set of rules that the Werewolves, the Lycanti - as they call themselves, set forth in a set of letters to the Havarti house. Any deviation from these rules would bring about further destruction.

As it happened, these rules were broken by both of the fledgling nobles. For Sirene, her mistake was paid in her own blood. For Esrom, his mistake is still outstanding. But not for long.

Herve is a day's journey east of Edam though a mountain pass, and two days west of the capital city of Tilsit through an old forest. It is quaint and quiet, though a bit more lively than Edam was.

But there has been no passage through to Edam in nearly a week. Soldiers have had the pass blocked for quite some time, not giving any reason but that travel beyond their post was especially dangerous, and forbidden.

Herve - Monday Morning

Morning comes to Herve much as it always does. The air is cold, but the sun is bright as is rises. Doors open. A cock crows. The people of Herve begin their days.

This day is quite ordinary.
So blessedly ordinary.
The last ordinary day the town of Herve will ever see.

The Official Player Rooster wrote:
1. SaveTheGreyhounds
2. chaosman
3. Hyp3rB14d3
4. CCC
5. The Lost, Lurking
6. Kajin
7. AlternateTorg

((I still want at least 5 more players! Don't make me start with only 7!))

___________________________________________________________________________________________
((OOG: You may begin RP now. It's just another normal day in Herve. Everyone starts as a normal townie, and I PM you your special roles (if applicable) at a later date. That's when the REAL game begins!

PLEASE NOTE: Nobody in Herve knows what happened in Edam. You're more than welcome to pretend you have a family or friends in Edam. You may trade between Herve and Edam. Heck, you might not even be from Herve - you might have been stuck in Herve during a visit and can't get back to your home in Edam. Everything I've said about Herve and Edam can also be applied to Tilsit. I want this game to tie into the last game and into the next one as well. Please form friendships, rivalries, and relationships. Day 0 is the day that you all interact before the end of the world. It's great for starting stories, fleshing out your character, and establishing normal behavior. I love Day 0.

Now that I've said all that, I offer a few pointers for easy gameplay [HINT: I appreciate it when you do these things!] :

Please include your character's name each time you post. It's so much easier to keep track of you if
you wrote:
"And what's that have to do with me?" asked John
as opposed to if
you wrote:
"And what's that have to do with me?"

When it comes time to VOTE, please make your vote bold. I wouldn't want to miss it!
For example, qL wrote:
"What's that have to do with me?" asked John. He looks suspiciously at his father. "You're the one whose idea it was to check on Samuel this morning! You must've known he was killed! You're trying to frame me! YOU must've killed him!"
A fine piece of writing to be sure, but John has not cast his vote for anyone. Although he has accused his father of murdering Townie Samuel - which, for the sake of our story, was done by a Werewolf - John did not actually VOTE for his father, James.
For to show another wrong example, qL wrote:
"I vote James," says Susan.
But alas, Susan's vote was not bold enough to be heard!
To show the kiddies the RIGHT way, qL also wrote:
"You killed Samuel, and now you must die, son," said James.
VOTE: John
Hey! James voted!
For demonstrative purposes, qL wrote:
"I have to vote for John. He's a mean guy and he chased me off his lawn with a pitchfork yesterday," says young Billy.
Hey! Billy voted too!
See what kind of trouble this gets us in? Instead of a tie, John is up by 2 votes because he and Susan did not put their votes in bold! Don't end up like John. DEAD.

To point a Finger of Suspicion (FOS), follow the same rules as voting. FOS does not count as a vote, though. It only telegraphs which way your vote may lean and where your suspicions lie. That way, you can say "I told you so!"

Don't take offense! Werewolves is a game of pointing fingers and unfair accusations. I have faith that you, my players, will not hurt any feelings IRL, and that you will understand that when your character is murdered or executed, that it totally wasn't personal.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Morgan of Blackstream is the town baker. He lives with his wife, Brie, and teenaged son, Roquefort, in the second story above the bakery. Morgan is something of an outsider, not having been born in the village of Herve. He came to Herve many years ago as a young man, and apprenticed himself to the then baker, Crottin. Shortly after this, he met and courted Brie. They were wed shortly after he achieved journeyman status. Since then, he has proved to be devoted to his work and his family.

Brie herself is a musician, a quite accomplished violinist. Morgan, though not so accomplished as his wife, can play the harpsichord. Many evenings have gone by when people on the street could hear music coming from their home.

Morgan seldom speaks of his life prior to coming to Herve. The few things he has told hint at some tragedy, but he will never say just what. What is known is that he keeps a sword on one wall of the main room of his home. A beautiful, slightly curved weapon, unlike the usual straight longswords that most guards carry. Again, he won't say much about it, except that it is an heirloom, and a gift from someone he much admired.

Ten days ago, Brie and Roquefort set out to Edam to visit an aunt and uncle of Brie's. Shortly thereafter, though, the pass to Edam was blocked by the Havarti's guards. Now Morgan is worried, but cannot find out what is going on. Even the Mayor could not tell him. So he waits, growing more worried by the day...

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention:
Morgan achieved his Mastery some ten years ago. Four years ago, Crottin passed away, leaving the business to Morgan and his family.

--tll

Last edited by The Lost, Lurking on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:50 pm 
Cecil strolls down the street, waving at everyone he meets. The young man grew up in the village; he dreams of leaving it, heading out into the world, and eventually, after many adventures, marrying a beautiful princess.

More mundanely, his father has recently had him apprenticed to the candlestick maker (the butcher and the baker both claimed he was too inclined to daydream to work in their trades). The fact that he's strolling down toward the river (where he plans to spend the afternoon contemplating whether being turned to a frog is worth the trouble, and from which he plans to return with a brace of trout) instead of toward the candle maker's shop rather confirms the opinions of the butcher and the baker.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:35 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Lewis strolls through town with a friendly word to anyone he sees. He carries his ever present jug of foul smelling moonshine taking the occasional drink. No one in town has ever seen Lewis sober. From the moment he gets up in the afternoon until he passes out wherever he ends up at night he is drinking. When anyone asks why he usually replies with a simple "I like to drink." Lewis has a still inside the shack he occasionally sleeps in, and he occasionally sells some to travelers but no one in town has ever tried his shine more than once and usually only on a dare. The unanamous opinion is that it tastes just awful and makes you feel as if a mule kicked you in the head the next day but Lewis is always smiling.

Lewis came to town many years ago and no one, despite many tries, has ever gotten any information about his past. He just showed up one day, drunk, and said "This looks nice. I'll stay a spell" and he never left. The only clue they have ever gotten was a soldier passing through one day seemed to recognize him. The soldier looked at Lewis and said "My Lord? My Lord Felix?". Lewis shook his head and said "You've got the wrong guy. I am no lord. Wanna buy some shine?" as he offered up the jug. The soldier looked thoughtful but moved on and hasn't been back.

Lewis likes to go fishing, which in his case consists of sitting on the banks of the river and trying to talk the fish into giving up. "Come on up here fishys" he slurs "Join me here. You'll love it." The fact that this has never worked does not diminish his belief that someday he will catch them all. When a helpful soul suggests using a fishing pole Lewis claims that "I am not going to cheat. I'll get them my way. The correct way." He also believes that singing to the fish will help but despite almost daily attempts he is still fishless, quite possibly because he cannot carry a tune but what he lacks in tone he tends to make up in volume. Luckily his favorite fishing spot is far enough upriver that the town is seldom disturbed by this. To tell the truth, quite often fellow townsfolk will join him in a song or two just in case the fish need variety.

No one in town has ever seen Lewis do any work other than running his still long eneough to produce his daily intake of moonshine but he always pays for his meals, when he remembers to eat, with money. The scource of his small but unending supply of coin was discussed in town almost as much as his unknown past but everyone is so used to him by now that it is almost never brought up anymore. Most townsfolk like Lewis despite his many oddities. It is hard to dislike such a friendly guy.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
Seth wakes with the sun and feeds the count's hounds before taking his tea. This is his normal routine: feed the count's hounds, take his tea, then share breakfast with his own dogs, Zachariah and Elizabeth. Training for the pups, lunch for all, then exercise and hunting practice in the afternoon before Seth heads to the pub for his supper. After supper he spends his time writing letters to whichever young lady of the town has caught his attention that week.

Seth was raised in Herve, and inherited the pack from his father when he was in his teens. His widowed mother lives with his sister and her husband; Seth would have gladly shouldered his filial duty, buthis brother-in-law makes a more confrotable wage, and Mother prefers to be surrounded by grandchildren than hounds.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:15 pm 
Joshua Kohler wakes with a muffled shriek, feeling as if he is suffocating. After thrashing for a few seconds, he realizes what has happened. He's on the floor again. This time, he somehow managed to land wedged between the bed and the nightstand, with his face smashed against the mattress. He manages to extricate himself and pull himself to his feet. "It's happening again," he says aloud. "You'd better watch it or you'll end up talking to yourself."

Joshua thinks back to his time in a small village far from here. His tics and nervous behavior meant that he didn't have many friends at first. Only his valuable skills as a glassblower prevented him from being a total outcast. But when the wolves came, his symptoms grew, coming frightfully close to complete breakdown. The town was lucky; the werewolf threat was quickly eliminated. The shared danger caused the villagers to grow closer, and Joshua's circle of friends grew. He became more confident, and his tics became less frequent. Unfortunately, his best friend, Miss Molly, quickly left the town, and no one knew what became of her.

A year later, Miss Molly returned, except that now she was known as Sister Mary. Joshua was overjoyed to see his friend again, but she was different. The events of the previous year had turned her heart to God, but had also turned her mind to despair. Soon, the wolves returned, but Providence blessed the little village again and the wolves mysteriously disappeared. Even though no further killings occurred and all evidence pointed to the werewolves having left the town, Joshua could not shake his paranoia. His growth over the previous year slowly dwindled, until he was reduced to his former self. He finally moved away from the village, his fears having grown too large to allow him to stay.

He has lived in Herve ever since, but has almost no friends. He dislikes meeting new people, for fear that they may not be who they seem, and those he does meet usually find his behavior off-putting. He mainly focuses on his glassblowing, as it allows him to forget his fears. The real Joshua, the happy, friendly Joshua, comes closest to emerging during his work, but there's rarely anyone there to see it. His only contact with others comes when he ventures out to buy food and supplies, and when customers come to purchase his wares.

Joshua is a slightly short, thin, wiry man in his early thirties, with black hair and green eyes. While he is not what one would call classically handsome, he has a pleasant face, though his usual nervous expression tends to hide this fact. He often blinks or fidgets compulsively, and tends to talk to himself. He typically wears dark pants and a loose, off-white shirt, rolled up at the sleeves.

EDIT: Modified Joshua's age; didn't realize that he was already 30 in his first appearance. Not that it matters that much.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:08 pm 
Morgan finished his breakfast of a mutton, onion, and cheese sandwich, along with a mug of hot tea sweetened with honey. The morning's baking was done and set out; the bakery door unlocked. He put his dish and mug in the sink, and stretched. It looked like it was going to be a pretty day. He went outside and opened the front window shutters, so that customers could see his wares.

He smiled and waved at several of the people walking by. The smile became a grin when he saw Lewis walking by with his ever-present jug of rot-gut. (He'd tried the stuff once, on a dare. Never again. It was the worst excuse for whiskey he'd ever had. He couldn't see what Lewis saw in it.) "Hey Lewis, good morning!" he called out. "How about some bread for breakfast? Can't survive on just that 'shine of yours. I've got some nice breakfast loaves with ham and cheese and corn in them. Not to mention the sweet rolls."

--tll

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:27 am 
AOL: Venom13537
It was almost noon when the carriage pulled into town. Drawn by two horses, it carried everything a merchant needed to get around, including maps, food, a large supply of merchandise, and of course, the merchant himself. Slowing the carriage to a stop, Mr. Thomas Wilson began climbing down from the driver's seat. "Excuse me. You there. Would this village happen to be the town known as Herve?"

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:08 am 
Morgan looked up from where he was re-arranging what was left of the morning's breads when he heard a carriage pull up in front of his shop. It was a heavy carriage, loaded down with all manner of things.

"Excuse me. You there," said the driver. "Would this village happen to be the town known as Herve?"

"Indeed it is," replied Morgan. "Welcome to Herve. I am Morgan, the town's baker. How can I help you?"

[OOG: Are we really talking about a carriage, here? Those were light vehicles, generally for passengers and not much cargo. A wagon (or wain), on the other hand, will carry lots of cargo, but not many passengers.]

--tll

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:33 pm 
Cecil wandered up towards the carriage (or possibly wagon), his fishing pole over his shoulder. He didn't walk quite close enough to be intruding, but very definitely close enough to get a good eyeful of the goods on display.

Idly, he wondered whether any of them would be useful. None of them looked useful yet, but he'd only had a quick glance so far... he settled down to a longer long-distance perusal of the merchant's goods.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm 
AOL: Venom13537
[OOC]It is indeed a carriage, with the passenger compartment filled with goods instead of passengers. Thomas has been driving instead of riding inside it.[/OOC]

"Thank you for the offer, good sir, but that is all I needed to know. I am merely passing through on my way to Edam to pick up my cousin, Willie. He sent me a letter about a few days ago saying he needed help moving. I intend to peddle my wares here, hopefully emptying out my carriage in the process, and then be on my way." As Thomas spoke, he began climbing back into the driver's seat.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:11 pm 
Joshua opens his cupboard and finds it empty. "I suppose I must go into town to buy food," he mutters, the corner of his mouth twitching involuntarily. He puts some money in his pocket and dons his slate gray cloak, pulling it around him closely, as if he felt that it might help make him invisible. He steps outside and walks rapidly to the market area, muttering quietly under his breath as he goes. Being out in public makes him more nervous than usual, and he hopes to quickly make his purchases and get back to his shop. Skirting past the carriage and the group of potential customers surrounding it, he slips into the bakery.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 pm 
"There's soldiers, Mister." says Cecil to the merchant, pointing out something he'd heard of recently. "They're not letting anyone into Edam."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:33 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Lewis hears Morgans call and says "Why not Morgan. A bite to eat will go down nice with this lovely nectar of the Gods I have brewed up." He ambles into the bakery and pays for a sweet roll and a loaf of breakfast bread. "Wanna swig Morgan?" he asks before they are distracted by the arrival of a carriage.

As Morgan talks to the stranger Lewis wnders out of the shop munching on a sweet roll and almost bumps into Joshua. As Joshua sidles past on his way into the bakery Lewis starts to offer Joshua a drink but has a fuzzy memory of the last time he had done so. It had not gone well because Joshua kept twitching and looking around and then Lewis would look around to see what he was looking at. Then they ended up in that dance step routine where both are trying to get out of the way of the other and end up sidestepping in unison until they were both flustered and finally Lewis got his feet tangled up and fell down spilling most of a jug of shine all over himself and the ground while Joshua hurried off.

Grasping his jug tightly and almost dropping his breakfast Lewis hurries away quickly. "Waste of good shine." he mutters. I have to be carefull. But as he leaves he calls back "Have a good day Joshua!", after all, it doesn't pay to be rude. When he notices Cecil he asks "Wanna join me in a day of fishing Cecil? I've written a new song that will bring them up onto the bank for sure this time. I might need help carrying all the fish back to town." But Cecil seems distracted by the carriage and starts talking to the merchant so Lewis turns to head down to the river with a smile on his face and a fresh sip from his jug.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
Morgan grins and waves off Lewis's offer of some 'shine. Lewis grins back and leaves with his purchase, nearly colliding with Joshua in the process.

"Cecil's right," Morgan tells the driver of the carriage. "The Havarti's guards have blocked the pass leading to Edam, and no one can get through. They won't tell us why." Seeing a grey-cloaked figure enter the bakery, he calls out, "Just a moment Joshua, I'll be right with you." Turning back to the carriage driver he says, "You might be able to take the road to Tilsit, and then take the long way 'round to Edam from there. It'll add quite a bit of time to your journey, I'm afraid. But for all I know they've got that route blocked, too."

Turning back to his customer, he says, "Good morning, Joshua. What can I get for you? I've still got a couple of loaves of breakfast bread and some sweet rolls, if you'd like. Plus our usual assortment of regular breads."

While Joshua is making up his mind, Morgan turns back to the carriage. "If you travel down this street a little further, you'll come to a square with a fountain in the middle. You'll find the inn there. The rooms are clean and relatively cheap, and the food is very good. The cook there is really quite talented. The ale's not half bad, either. May as well at least have a decent meal while you're here. Across the square is the Town Hall; the Mayor should be in by now. Maybe you'll have better luck with him than I've had," he adds sourly.

[OOG] Thanks for the explanation, 'Blade. Heh, the image that conjures up is rather amusing. The incongruity of someone using a lightweight (and generally expensive) carriage to haul cargo is definitely chuckle-worthy. [/OOG]

[OOG] Queso: How far is it from Herve to Tilsit, and from there to Edam via the back road? (Or is the pass from Herve the back road? :-) ) Also, what's the name of the inn, and who's running it? [/OOG]

--tll

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG