Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:23 am 
Dr. Vanderbilt looks up from a microscope as Felix enters the room. Piper is sitting next to her, wearing a child-sized lab coat and an interested expression as she peers at the microscope slide from off to the side a bit

"Hey, Felix," says Dr. Vanderbilt.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:42 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Hey Doctor Vanderbilt," Felix replies. "You looking at those fungal samples we collected, or is that something else?"

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:17 am 
Nate's expression turns grim.

"Maybe I'm being overly paranoid and cynical, But I could see it being a Zemoch. A war between Elenes and us Terrains, especially if we had the time and resources to fully establish ourselves, would be devastating, and would probably allow them to invade without any significant opposition. Thus, they help us now so they can stir up a war later before they invade and take over everything. Plus, desperate people in the middle of a very bad war might do something desperate like make a deal that they wouldn't normally make. Better the Devil you know, after all..."

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:43 am 
"Yes, they're fascinating," says Dr. Vanderbilt. "Some of them are almost indistinguishable from Earth fungi, others are similar but not quite the same, still others are completely different!"

Piper takes the opportunity to apply her own eyes to the eyepieces of the microscope while the doctor is distracted.

--------------

Sir Bevier looks thoughtful at Nate's words, but Sir Ulath shakes his head firmly.

"The psychology's all wrong. A Zemoch spy could try to get you into a war with Elenia... but he wouldn't hide what he was doing for you. He'd flaunt it, use it to try to win small concessions from you."

"What's this 'devil' you're talking about?" asks Sir Bevier.

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:03 am 
"Ah, but would a Zemoch work openly with two knights in camp, alert to possible meddling?"

"Uhh, it's a religious term. A devil is an evil spirit or being. How powerful they, or it, is, depends on who you talk to. In some cultures, they're little more than a nuisance. In others, there's only one, and it's the embodiment of ultimate evil."
"As near as I've been able to tell, they, or it, don't exist outside of people's minds."

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:17 am 
"...he'd kill us, first," muses Sir Ulath.

"I suppose a Zemoch could have approached one person, quietly, on the side," muses Sir Bevier. "Trying to corrupt him, and only him, and then use him as leverage to get at the rest of you. Then he might only reveal himself to the target... who could be anyone."

"So, this 'devil' is some kind of demon, then?" asks Sir Ulath.

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I started collecting them because I noticed that one of the descriptions I was given of a crop blight was superficially similar to that of the fungus used to make penicillin, and I figured it would be nice to have that on hand on the astronomical off chance it happened to be the same type," Felix scratches his head, smiling. "I mean, stranger things have happened since we've arrived."

Felix points out the vial containing the Maybe Penicillin if Doctor Vanderbilt hasn't already started work on it.

Last edited by Kajin on Mon May 30, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:30 am 
Doctor Vanderbilt nods. "Yes, that one might display useful antibacterial properties," she says. "I've got a few cultures growing, to look for that. The odds are so incredibly against anything that remotely resembles penicillin still being around, though, that it's more useful to assume it's not penicillin and merely see whether it has the same beneficial properties as penicillin... which I won't be able to say, one way or another, until my cultures have finished growing."

Piper starts fiddling with the magnification knob on the microscope, twisting it slightly, and then drawing back in surprise at the effect.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:30 am 
Quote:
"So, this 'devil' is some kind of demon, then?" asks Sir Ulath.

"Pretty much. Or the king of demons, depending on who you ask."

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:46 am 
"Azash?" asks Sir Ulath.

Sir Bevier nods. "Yeah, could be. Or one of the creatures he controls. Or... a legend based on one of them maybe?"

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:39 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"Lord, thank you for sparing my life. But it feels like the Devil's grandmother was running these machines. No offense."

Arkady pulls himself up to a sitting position, and looks around. He sees the box of personal effects, he sees the machines, he hears discussion from the next chamber about...antibiotics and the Devil? How Russian. Pushing down for a moment his hunger and thirst, he gets dressed; feeling quietly thankful that his cross is there, he puts it on and then goes out in search of answers. And food. Water. A bit of medicinal vodka would be nice, but highly unexpected. Then he might be in shape to worry about Irina...

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG