Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Re: Flash FATE
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:35 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Quote:
Name: Dran Thorn

High Concept: Mercenary Padawan
After the fall of the Republic and the deaths of most of the Jedi and his fellow Padawan, Dran was forced to flee the Academy before he was able to become a fully fledged Knight. Now he makes his living going from star system to star system, planet to planet, earning what living he can as a mercenary for hire. It wasn't what he dreamed of becoming, but it keeps you fed when times are tough. Sometimes.

Trouble: Fleeing the Empire
It's a little known fact that the Empire doesn't take too kindly to rogue Jedi running around. Even though Dran never completed his training, that still doesn't stop the occasional bounty hunter, assassin or squadron of storm troopers from coming along and trying to take his head.

Aspect: Path to Freedom
Ever since his escape from the Jedi Academy as a teenager, Dran has been on the run from the Empire. From city to city and planet to planet, he's been running. Because of this, he knows that making a good escape can be difficult. Nothing is more nerve wracking than being trapped on a planet that's been blockaded on suspicion of harboring fugitives of the Empire, which you happen to be. Especially when you have no reliable means of transportation and anyone you might hire to transport you could rat you out to your pursuers for double what you could ever hope to pay them. Thus, Dran went digging through isolated scrap heaps and forgotten junkyards until he found a respectable pile of trash: a decommissioned smuggling vessel long since forgotten amongst the detritus. After endless weeks of toil, he managed to get it space worthy again and named it. Having built his own Path to Freedom with his own two hands, Dran need not fear being unable to go where he pleases... So long as he can afford the fuel and doesn't mind getting shot at when he runs the blockades. Those endless repairs, too... I mean, it WAS in the trash, after all. But it flies, and that's the important part.

Skills:
+5 Weapons
+4 Piloting, Force
+3 Engineering, Athletics, Endurance
+2 Guns, Computers, Resolve, Alertness
+1 Empathy, Stealth

Stunts:
Lightsaber Training
Blaster Deflection w/ Lightsaber
Telekinesis
Jedi Mind Trick
Force Surge
Jedi Body
Jedi Sense

I'm powering through a headache right now so I've gotta stop here, but that's what I've got so far. I'm debating on whether or not he should even HAVE a lightsaber. I figure he was near enough to completing his training that he'd be in his teens and given the time frame the story could take place in, could be anywhere from early twenties to late thirties so he'd have plenty of time to find or make his own. Or could maybe have even pilfered one off the body of a Knight or Master on his way out of the Academy. Then again, it might also fit to have him limited in some degree. I dunno, what's more interesting?

EDIT
Would we be able to take an aspect relating to ownership of a spaceship? Seems like something that's important enough to be integral to the character, depending on the ship itself. Like maybe if it's a top of the line model or, more likely, a barely held together rust bucket that somehow manages to perform admirably in the face of adversity.

Last edited by Kajin on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:32 am 
All good everyone!

CCC, the name of the shapeshifter's species is Clawdite. Their homeworld is called Zolan, and they were genetically engineered to resist the harsh radiation of the system's unstable sun. They developed the ability to shapeshift as an unintended consequence, which scared the living daylights out of the species that made them, the Zolanders. As a result, the Zolanders forced the Clawdites into wretched ghettos, which are ruled over with utter tyranny. Those who can flee, do, those who can't, do what they can in the pursuit of freedom. The Clawdites were briefly allied with the Confederation of Independent Planets during the Clone Wars, but the alliance fell apart with the death of Count Dooku, who had promised them freedom.

Clawdites are staunch supporters of freedom and hate oppression, bigotry, and prejudice in all forms. They do not suffer bullies lightly, and violence may be involved. Clawdites are free spirits who go their own way and follow their hearts rather then any set of externally imposed rules.

Kajin, as a former Padawan, you would know how to make a lightsaber and would have constructed one as a youngling. If you've lost it since then, you might not have access to all the required materials to build a new one. The focusing crystals that form the core of a lightsaber are particularly difficult to come by during the reign of the Empire. Getting the needed crystal could make for an interesting adventure. Also, while they are powerful weapons, expect lots of trouble (read: compels) whenever you use it.

If you want a ship all your own, one of you (or both) will have to take an aspect relating to it, otherwise you're going to be stealing one every other episode. I'll get into details of ship creation when the time comes.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:37 am 
So... many... shiny... stunts...

Quote:
Name: Crystal

High concept: Master of disguise

Crystal can be anyone, at least while he's awake and conscious. He uses this to commit a series of thefts and cons throughout the galaxy - what he gets from his thefts matters little to him. Rather, it's all about the challenge; he'll prefer to take a well-guarded half-credit but pass up a million credits just lying in the street.

If you need someone to steal Darth Vader's helmet*, to swipe a stormtrooper's socks, or to take the documents from a Bothan spy, Crystal's the one who can do it.

(*Not the one he's wearing at the time, of course. His spare one, out of his quarters. While Vader is on a different planet. Crystal isn't suicidal.)

Trouble: Masks Behind Masks

For someone who spends so much of his time being someone else, there's a troubling little thought that won't go away - just how sure is Crystal that he'll be able to maintain his own personality, when he spends so much of his time wearing different masks? Does he still have his own personality? Will he know if he ever loses it? These questions often keep him awake all night...

Aspects:

The Myth Is Bigger Than The Man:

Lots of people have heard of the impossible stunts Crystal has pulled. The time he stole Darth Vader's helmet is talked about in taverns, the theft of Jedi Master Yoda's lightsabre is the subject of many rumours, the stealing of the Jabba the Hutt's favourite poodles is whispered about with bated breath (but never in front of Jabba himself). Yet, the truth is, Crystal did none of those things. Sure, he has pulled some near-impossible thefts in the past - but for every one he actually did, there are rumours of ten that he didn't. (Crystal actively encourages this, and will often make up completely new rumours to throw into the mix)

Can't Resist A Challenge:

When it's well-protected, well-hidden, and thoroughly defended, it doesn't much matter what it is, Crystal has a lot of trouble resisting the call to sneak in and take it - or at least leave a small business card there, in a way that makes it clear he could have taken it. He'll take his time, plan out a careful strategy, and wait for the opportune moment... but it's very hard for him to just ignore a real challenge.

Robin Hood Syndrome:

Much like the mythical Human hero, Crystal has little use for the wealth he can so easily steal; along with this, he has a definite soft spot for the underdogs of society, and he will often give generously to someone who looks like they have a genuine need for a bit of help. He can't resist a cry for help from a small child, and more than one former Imperial prisoner owes his freedom to the fact that he had a small child who met Crystal one day.

Skills:

+5: Deceit
+4: Rapport, Empathy
+3: Contacting, Burglary, Resolve
+2: Athletics, Endurance, Engineering, Resources
+1: Sleight Of Hand, Pilot, Guns, Academics, Computers

Stunts:
Clever Disguise
Mimicry
Master Of Disguise
Disguise Of The Mind

(As a shape shifter, Crystal can be anyone. As an accomplished and practiced shape shifter, this even extends to being specific people, as long as he's had a chance to study them - or, at minimum, a holographic recording of them. He can take on a new disguise in but minutes, along with a whole new persona, with its own voice, accent, body language, even - sometimes - its own skills. But this comes with a downside; with such a thorough disguise, there's a chance of the new persona taking control temporarily...)

Cold Read
Heart's Secret
A Peek Inside

(Despite persistent rumours to the contrary that occasionally do their rounds through the criminal underworld, Crystal can't read minds and is not Force-sensitive. What he does have, however, is an almost supernatural awareness of how to read faces - if he can see your face, then he can read your emotions like a book, even through a holographic communication. He's often used this to fake the ability to read someone's mind - one can tell a lot about another person by keeping track of their emotional shifts during a conversation...)

Last edited by CCC on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:03 am 
looking good CCC, very good in fact.

Just a side note: If one, (or both) of you are thinking of dropping an aspect on a ship, I would recommend taking the skills: Pilot, Computers, and Engineering, so you can fly, use the sensors/navigate hyperspace, and repair/jury rig the ship.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:06 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I edited in an aspect for a ship onto my character sheet and added engineering and piloting skills.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:06 am 
Brilliant!

On to ship creation then.

First, pick the type of ship the Path is. The choices are: light Starfighter, heavy Starfighter, small transport, large transport, gunship, and capital ship. I'm assuming she's a small transport, but the choice is yours. (within reason. A large transport or capital ship would probably take more time and resources to make and keep spaceworthy then one former Padawan can swing.)

Next come aspects. Ships are just as much characters as the people who fly in them, and need a high concept, what they were built to do, just like any other character (The Millennium Falcon might have the high concept of “Fastest Smuggling Ship in the Galaxy.”). Once you have that, you get a few more. Fighters get 2 extra, transports and gunships get 4, and capitol ships get 8.

Next are the ship systems. These are: Targeting, Hyperdrive, Life Support, Sensors, Shields and Sublight Engines. Each,(except Life Support) has a rating between None and +5. This number gets added to your skill roll when using that system. Targeting gets added to your attack rolls, (Pilot for fixed weapons, Guns for mounted emplacements.) Your Hyperdrive number determines how fast your ship is, (-1 is a class 10, very slow, +2 is a standard class 2, decent, +4 is a class 1, military grade, and +5 is class .5, custom job only, and rather finicky.) Life Support is fairly obvious, if you have it, all is well, if it gets reduced to -1, say in an attack, then all skill rolls are at -1, because of poor shipboard conditions. If Life Support gets taken out, you'd better hope there are pressure suits aboard, because you're going to need them pretty quick. Sensors gets added to your Computers skill that takes the place of awareness while aboard ship, (if there are no sensors, you do use awareness, because you're stuck using the good old Mk.1 eyeball. Drive slow.) Shields are funny, they act as armour, reducing a set number of stress, (+2= 2 stress, etc.) but can only absorb as much stress in total as their number multiplied by 10. (so a +2 shield can only absorb 20 stress before they completely fail, or someone makes a successful engineering roll to recharge them.) Sublight Engines adss to your Pilot skill, and represent the power and maneuverability of the ship.

After setting the levels of the ship systems, come the picking of the extras. Some of these are more like gear, such as weapons, and hull reinforcements, giving you a bonus to something (shields could fit in this category as well I suppose.) and some are more like stunts, allowing you to do something cool. (like sensor jammers or amphibious seals.)

After all that, congradulations! You are now the proud owner of your very own starship. None ever said it was going to be easy.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:27 am 
Question:

Quote:
After setting the levels of the ship systems, come the picking of the extras. Some of these are more like gear, such as weapons, and hull reinforcements, giving you a bonus to something (shields could fit in this category as well I suppose.) and some are more like stunts, allowing you to do something cool. (like sensor jammers or amphibious seals.)

How many "extras" do we get, and is there some list or is it a case of "anything goes" like with Aspects?

(Also, I've edited some more stuff into my character sheet, above)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'll have to ponder it later, but I'd say Path to Freedom is mooostly a small transport, but with a huge engine for getting out of dodge quickly and lots of guns for fighting its way out of a blockade should push come to shove. I imagine it's a jury rigged hybrid between one main ship as a base and several other ships that were cannibalized and used to rebuild it from the ground up.

Soooo... mostly a small transport. Also, how do I determine what rating each system gets? Does that get determined by aspects?

Thinking of stunts for my character. What skills would Jedi powers like Telekinesis, Jedi Mind Trick, and others use?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:18 am 
Looks good guys.

Extras are a bit of a gray area, mostly being regulated by common sense. I'll let you know if things get too crazy, but I'm usually willing to work something out. There are lists I can give you, but, like stunts, if you want to make something up, go ahead. Just run it past me at some point.

The Path sounds like a cross between a small transport and a gunship, which isn't all that uncommon, especially where ships used for shady business are concerned.

Ship systems will partially get determined by aspects, (the Millennium Falcon wouldn't be The Fastest Ship in the Galaxy if it didn't have high ratings in Hyperdrive and Sublight Engines) but mostly it gets set by common sense. If you want a fast ship with lots of guns, go right ahead, but maybe the targeting software is glitchy, or the shields only so-so. Maybe it can't take as much stress because of the way it was patched together by hand in a junkyard rather than in a drydock. I trust you to make an interesting ship, and bear in mind you can modify it later, in-game.

All Force related stunts use the Force skill. (heh, use the Force... I need sleep.) They represent your various Force Powers, which is supposed to help keep things balanced.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:27 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Added the Force skill at +4, as well as some more stunts, including two Jedi stunts that are pending your approval. Specifically Jedi Sense and Jedi Body, replacing Alertness and Athletics with the Force skill instead, so I can free two skill slots up for other things.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:21 am 
Force powers generally require active concentration, and are often used only for brief moments. They don't usually replace actual skills, but augment, or guide them. I would still have both Alertness and Athletics, even if they were at a lower skill level. Force powers are both more useful, and more limited than actual skills are.

I would recommend renaming those stunts as well, turning Jedi Sense into Empathy, and Jedi Body into Force Surge. Empathy covers a broad territory, and would be more passive while Jedi Sense would be more active, needing to be used before any information would be gained. Empathy would give you a general sense of things and people due to being open to the Force. It will tell you that something is wrong, or that someone is hiding something, but you're still going to need a good Awareness/Empathy roll to figure out what it is, otherwise it's just "I have a bad feeling about this."

Jedi Body would allude to a profound wellness, a deep soundness of body, allowing you to heal injury, illness, and fatigue due to your connection with the Force. You'll still need rest, but you'll heal faster then normal people. A good Endurance or Resolve skill will let you tough it out for longer though.

Force Surge covers things like moving with blinding speed, or jumping great distances, as Jedi are known to do, but it is defined by its power, not its precision. Yes, you can move almost quicker than the eye can see, but try cornering at that speed. Or jumping along the tops of a set of pillars, you have impressive height and distance, but sticking the landing on a pillar top only two feet wide is more than a little tricky, especially since the next one in line is only five feet away. You'd be better off with even a good Athletics skill.

In short, Jedi Powers let you do Cool Things, but can't replace skills in terms of pure usefulness. This is the tradeoff that keeps Jedi from being over powered.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:05 am 
Okay, edited in a couple more Aspects, I think my character's ready to go now.

balthazar wrote:
turning Jedi Sense into Empathy

That might get confusing. There's already a skill called Empathy. "Force Empathy" for the stunt, maybe?

Quote:
Extras are a bit of a gray area, mostly being regulated by common sense. I'll let you know if things get too crazy, but I'm usually willing to work something out.

Okie dokie. Since it's Kajin's character's ship, I'm happy to leave the design to him (though if you want my input, Kajin, feel free to ask...)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:41 pm 
CCC wrote:
Okay, edited in a couple more Aspects, I think my character's ready to go now.

balthazar wrote:
turning Jedi Sense into Empathy

That might get confusing. There's already a skill called Empathy. "Force Empathy" for the stunt, maybe?

That makes more sense. Lets do that.

Looks good, CCC, but you might want to have Awareness and Athletics as skills, just in case you get jumped when not in character, or as a character who also doesn't have Athletics or Awareness.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:22 pm 
Ooooh. You make a fair point... but then I'll have to get rid of one of my other skills. Maybe two. I will have to think on this.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:38 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Added some more skills and changed the stunts. Trying to think of more aspects and what other skills I should slot into the +1 area...

Also thinking of how I might hide my lightsaber. I figure maybe I could put a compartment onto a blaster rifle that looks like it's for launching thermal grenades but actually has my lightsaber inside?

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG