Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:57 am 
Hi Pete,

[reposting from the introduction forum]

I had the same problem than you, and the injections were just not doing any good (had 3 of those, and it just came back the next month/week/day). Then I found a way out: changing my keyboard and my keyboard mapping.

Have a look at this: http://www.typematrix.com/

This is a way more efficient keyboard, that will decrease a lot of the wrong moves your fingers have to do to get to the keys, if you want to go farther, just go for the dvorak layout as well (there might be other layouts more appropriate than dvorak for your specific activities btw).

On my side, since I am French, I went to the bepo layout (same as dvorak but more programmer oriented). I had to re-learn typing but it took me only 3 weeks before I actually became even more efficient that before.

All in all, this solved permanently the issue for me, without having to resort to surgery.

I Hope this will help.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 am 
My 2 cents: My own experience with "no rush" surgeries is that you end up delaying them indefinitely and suffering a lot of undeserved pain. You may try other solutions, but once you came to the conclusion that surgery is the only one that will work, settle on a date and make it happen.

I too believe that you are too dedicated. When M/W/F was announced, I expected short three or four panel strips, not the epic full page extravaganzas you are giving us. Rest assured that you can take same time off, we will wait you, and support you.

Take care!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 am 
As of trying another solution, here is one, my sister is a doctor (in Chinese traditional medicine), I personally don't trust Chinese traditional medicine, and did not try that at all, *but* : she said to me in a conversation that

Quote:
"this kind of problem can be easily dealt with in about 10 sessions of acupuncture, with very good results (but this still implies a good rest after that, and avoiding to do some specific movements during the treatment)" (sic, but translated from French).

Try that if you want, (I didn't, I always had some trouble trusting people swinging big needles around your face with a funny smile, I wonder why :/ ),

I still had the exact same problem than you (finger trigger), but it was on my third finger, forcing me to keep my 3rd finger straight (no joke, really, it can get quite bothersome, and awkward …), and bone spur as well… On my side though, the doc' tried 3 injections (because I really really didn't want to go for surgery, as I know it also involve significant strength reduction in your hand grip after that … but they won't tell you that). The cortisone just did not work, same as you, better a few days, then immediately back to normal a few days after.

At the final point, (where I almost decided on going to get this tube chopped off), a friend of mine introduced me to the keyboard I mentioned earlier. Unlike you, though, my work involve a lot of typing (being a software and hardware engineer), and that was the cause of it. Now, the doc' said specifically this "the hand is made for grabbing, not typing, any move such as grabbing anything, pen included, is acceptable, and won't do any bad to it, but typing is the issue as it involve twisting your fingers in the wrong way", so I assume the drawing part is not at cause too.

So that you know, I have no shares in the keyboard company I mentioned whatsoever, but if it could help more than me, then that's good.

As for the surgery, people that I know who did that did not spend more than an hour in the hospital, and less than 2 weeks to recover. Apart from the grip strength reduction as well as some difficulty with some very precise moves I mentioned, no problem (I need some good grip to work with a soldering iron in micro-electronics stuff, so I just won't go that way).

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:47 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Did Grammar Gorilla just use the not-word irregardless?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 am 
LobosSolos wrote:
Did Grammar Gorilla just use the not-word irregardless?

That ain't no problem for Grammar Gorilla.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:55 pm 
I wonder if we are going back to the regular MTWRF schedule for Sluggy starting next week, now that Pete is back from WindyCon. I think that was the original plan, although of course it would be completely understandable if MWF needed to continue for a while longer, due to things like Pete's hand, the return of the Sluggy Store, et cetera.

ETA: And now I have my answer from Sir Nifty himself. Looking forward to returning to the five-day week!

Last edited by Bandersnatch on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 pm 
Is that pronounced rrrrsday?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 am 
Yep. 'Specially if yer a pirate, matey. Rrrrrrrr.

Post subject: The amazon link
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 am 
Hi, I've been reading this strip for so long and yet not a defender or a merchandise collector, I can't but jump on this occasion to give back.

I do make a lot of purchases through amazon and I'm willing to use that Sluggy amazon link everytime.

Is there anyway I can tell it's properly been activated?

Can it work for Amazon.ca too because most of my purchases are shipped from Canada, my home country.

Thanks

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:24 am 
pierreb, I have no idea, but I know it works because of the income it generates. I wouldn't worry about it, just use the link and know I appreciate it!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:43 am 
Pete, if you need to take a day, take a day. The rest of us have to fight tooth and nail to spend more time with our families, that's the whole point of the season, dispite what retailers would have you think. So take a day, have the kids help you with the store shipments, heck, draw some gag filler strips with Leah and put those up, It doesn't matter. Remember why you do this in the first place, and everything will sort itself out. And all of us will understand. We're in this for the long haul.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:48 am 
I was trying to order something from the store tonight to take advantage of the extended 10% discount. When I go to checkout the box to pick a different shipping address appears to be checked but is greyed out and not selectable. This leads PayPal to receive my billing address as the shipping address. Would adding a message in the "Customer notes" field with the correct shipping address be enough to make sure the order gets delivered to the right place? I really prefer to have things delivered to my parents' house so they don't sit on the porch of my apartment all day while I'm at work.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:15 am 
s.i.l. listing the right shipping address in the Customer notes should be fine, or as a note in the Paypal payment. I've had several orders where people have chosen different addresses to ship to than their billing or Paypal address, so that's just weird!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:50 am 
Thanks, I went ahead and put in the order. The PayPal payment page was still showing the wrong info but the Invoice Confirmation page after was correct. You will now get some of my money, Pete. :kiki:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:50 am 
Hi Pete, you could post the link for the almost up-to-date New Readers Guide on the Niftypedia instead.

We wrote it for a reason, you know :kiki:

Also, if Niftypedia see some traffic, I am sure someone will bring it up to date with the Mohkadun chapter

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions