Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 am 
This is seriously one of the best arcs in years, Pete.

The whole t hing is giving me serious TWR vibes.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 am 
1st frame: it's Torg all right...

2nd frame: he calls Riff by name; His Masterness has not been in control for that long (Rammer still remembers a time before he took over), and presumably people were called by their names (not numbers) before he took power. So, Torg calling Riff by name doesn't necessarily mean he's Torg prime.

I agree that Riff's reaction is totally in character and I for one don't find this strip to be "weak" at all - in fact it's profoundly moving, as some people have pointed out.

Luckily, I'm in no danger of violating the Forum rules as I can't even begin to speculate on what happened to this dimension's Zoe. Feels good, and also hurts, to see her face again.

Sigh... have to wait for tomorrow... :zoe:

P.S. Pete really loves to toy with our emotions, doesn't he?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:11 pm 
First reaction: Hi Torg!

Second reaction:..... -sniff-

Seriously, that "I paint her smile over 'n over again" hit me unexpectedly. The sketches are beautiful D:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:14 pm 
So, I am beginning to wonder if the point of Sluggy Freelance has become to depress the readers. Because holy crap am I getting sad over this arc. Great storytelling is great, even if depressing.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:12 pm 
vampirebunbun wrote:
So, I am beginning to wonder if the point of Sluggy Freelance has become to depress the readers. Because holy crap am I getting sad over this arc. Great storytelling is great, even if depressing.

Let me just say that in my mind Sluggy Freelance has evolved and is no longer just a strip for a quick laugh, but instead it has become a full feature event without a end in sight. It is truly become more than just a web comic but more of a epic novel series with the added bonus of pictures. It has its up points, its down points and a liberal splash of high adventure, and all with a undercurrent of an amazing love story that spans the dimensions of the multi-verse.
It is simply beautiful, a true work of art.
Pete, keep up the awesome work.

PS still refusing to even think that Zoё is….....
Zoё Lives! Zoё Lives! Zoё Lives! Zoё Lives! Zoё Lives! Zoё Lives!
If I say it enough maybe it will be true. :zoe:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:01 pm 
Excellent strip in an excellent arc.

Also, terribly sad to see Torg broken like that. 'twould perhaps have been better had Riff just left him drugged up and "happy..." There are reasons people drink to forget.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:14 pm 
Slug wrote:
Excellent strip in an excellent arc.

Also, terribly sad to see Torg broken like that. 'twould perhaps have been better had Riff just left him drugged up and "happy..." There are reasons people drink to forget.

I'm not sure if alt-Torg has even had the cleansing cocktail yet. Makes me wonder about his dosage of the happy drugs. :torg:

What I get, when I come expecting silly, and get poignant instead. :bunbun:

---
[SPEC] Lives!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:54 pm 
oracleofbargth wrote:
I'm not sure if alt-Torg has even had the cleansing cocktail yet. Makes me wonder about his dosage of the happy drugs. :torg:

True. It does make sense that Alt-Torg hasn't yet had time to purge. I guess that's the difference between mourning and unhappy-- looks like there aren't enough happy drugs in this dimension to remedy true mourning.

That second panel's gonna stick with me, even more that the "I paint her smile..." one. Torg looks like a little lost, abused child, gaunt and tattered, unable to find himself for his loneliness and sorrow.

Also, I can almost hear Riff in the last panel, hoarse and whispery, choking up. That's powerful writing.

--Slug

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:02 pm 
Excellent, I like the way this is going.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:47 pm 
Wow! That's a perfect, wonderful strip. So in character, too. I thought the best part was "You were supposed to bring her back." I can see why Riff practically ran for his life.
Also, it doesn't look to me like Torg has had his cleansing cocktail. I'd say definitely not.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:03 pm 
This was brilliantly written, absolutely brilliantly. It made me cry, seeing Torg as a broken shell. Congrats Pete, you've constructed one of the best stories in any genre I've ever seen. And certianly the best one of this length.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 pm 
Anyone know what Torg meant by "Oh No! No Pulse!"?
I'm guessing it could be something obviouse that wouldn't be speck,
but if it is spec could you point me to a thread where it's discussed?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 pm 
Panel 5 made me BAWWWWWWWWW. :(

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm 
today's strip... geeze, i can't even find the words to discribe it. Nictusempra has it right, this arc definetly has a TWR vibe to it, but not quite. torg my be hurt'in, but he seems very much the kind of person to draw strength from it. its like hard exercise, or a broken bone, it'l hurt while its happening, and for a while afterwards, but in the end, you heal, and are stronger for it. riff too.
Balthazar T. Black

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 pm 
McTrooper wrote:
Anyone know what Torg meant by "Oh No! No Pulse!"?
I'm guessing it could be something obviouse that wouldn't be speck,
but if it is spec could you point me to a thread where it's discussed?

He's taking the pulse of MATTY, but he can't find it because of course a robot doesn't have one. It's a point which shows how detached from reality the inhabitants of 4U city are, to see how closely they identify with a tool.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions