Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:30 am 
I know I didn't say this anywhere, but dude. I called Dunuloa's future persona. I just had no idea how that was going to happen.

Tragic.

Last edited by CheeseWhisper on Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 am 
garyfritz wrote:
I would reeeallly love to know how much of this was plotted out years ago -- certainly not as long ago as the Holiday Wars!? -- and how much of it was retconned. And even if it was 100% retconned, this whole thing is a masterful job of retconning. Pete is The Master.

Agree totally. I think most of this has been planned for years, but whatever pieces have been retconned have been done in a near-undetectable way. Pete could teach a Master Class on how to retcon while maintaining narrative consistency.

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:02 pm 
Bunny Suction wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
I would reeeallly love to know how much of this was plotted out years ago -- certainly not as long ago as the Holiday Wars!? -- and how much of it was retconned. And even if it was 100% retconned, this whole thing is a masterful job of retconning. Pete is The Master.

Agree totally. I think most of this has been planned for years, but whatever pieces have been retconned have been done in a near-undetectable way. Pete could teach a Master Class on how to retcon while maintaining narrative consistency.

I'm struggling with the timeline . . . Basphomy said early in the Holiday Wars that the second Deux Ex Ovum was used when her time was just beginning . . . and everybody agreed that the DEOs were made by Zeus. The implication at the time seemed to be that Basphomy wasn't even around yet when the first one was used. If (as is strongly implied here) Dunuola becomes Basphomy in the waning days of Mohkadun, and we haven't yet seen Zeus (or any DEOs) I don't see how today's reveal fits into that previously-established sequence.

But of course, trying to answer that would involve speculating (which I think I've avoided here).

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:31 pm 
Today's strip brings to my mind a scene from Babylon 5: "You will know pain, you will know fear and then you will die."

I also think that JMS has nothing on Pete when it comes to convoluted storylines.

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:36 pm 
Zillatain wrote:

But where am I going to find metal underwear for a hamster at this time of night? Not to mention the 1mm Luger?

Now you've got me thinking about this strip.

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:26 pm 
The next strip points out that they're staying in the "spitting camel suite".

Huh.

Also, we still need to figure out who Oasis and Kusari are. Operating outside the web and all...

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:13 pm 
Djublonskopf wrote:
. . . Basphomy said early in the Holiday Wars that the second Deux Ex Ovum was used when her time was just beginning . . . and everybody agreed that the DEOs were made by Zeus. The implication at the time seemed to be that Basphomy wasn't even around yet when the first one was used. If (as is strongly implied here) Dunuola becomes Basphomy in the waning days of Mohkadun, and we haven't yet seen Zeus (or any DEOs) I don't see how today's reveal fits into that previously-established sequence.

What are you talking about? Mrmbleblemomble is [feeling a little bit spec-ish right now... -Z] ;D

Last edited by Yodimus_Prime on Sun May 04, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:33 pm 
What-the WHAAAAAT?

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:56 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
What are you talking about? Mrmbleblemomble is [feeling a little bit spec-ish right now... -Z] ;D

So we're allowed to freely spec in here now? Awesome!

[I'm sorry, but that is the incorrect answer. The correct answer is "Droggeljug" -Z]

Last edited by Bandersnatch on Sun May 04, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:11 pm 
OrzBrain wrote:
Well, that's disturbing. Or perhaps I should say disturbed. Don't K'Z'K and the God of Injustice get any of the credit?
Also, I wouldn't say she's done a very good job of that "knowing fear" thing, what with working as a subordinate to a pumpkin in a holiday which has become mostly about making fun of fear of the supernatural.

Don't forget that she was the original Halloween, but the other holidays willed her out of the job for being too ambitious and terrifying.

http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20031120

Anyhow, it's great to see how the Dark Side of the Moon comes to be. I sure hope she let's Asahn out of her dress before she goes too Basphomy.

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:31 am 
slightlylooney wrote:
I also think that JMS has nothing on Pete when it comes to convoluted storylines.

But can you imagine if they were to collaborate? It would be glorious.

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 am 
It's interesting to note how much less power we see Basphomy having in the future than Dunuloa has now -- if I recall correctly as Basphomy she has fear inducing abilities, dreamwalking, and perhaps physical enhancement, while as the Goddess of Mad Scientists and Magicians she seems to have the standard god power package -- flight, teleportation, super durability and strength and such, plus the ability to manufacture fine magical artifacts powerful enough to restrain K'Z'K.

So where did all the rest of her power go? Decline of the gods? Or is the mantle of Halloween made from power that was stripped from her?

Last edited by OrzBrain on Sun May 04, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:42 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
What's really sad is she's totally wrong, fear has always been a part of us. Fear of gods wouldn't have stopped Farahn either, it was a god who coaxed him into calling Kozoaku and if he feared him, it would have been a god who commanded him to call Kozoaku.

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:03 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Djublonskopf wrote:
. . . Basphomy said early in the Holiday Wars that the second Deux Ex Ovum was used when her time was just beginning . . . and everybody agreed that the DEOs were made by Zeus. The implication at the time seemed to be that Basphomy wasn't even around yet when the first one was used. If (as is strongly implied here) Dunuola becomes Basphomy in the waning days of Mohkadun, and we haven't yet seen Zeus (or any DEOs) I don't see how today's reveal fits into that previously-established sequence.

Oop! It occurred to me a day too late that I'd made a statement that wasn't expressed in the comic (yet!). I obscured it further so people can't connect the dots

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:24 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
Today's strip brings to my mind a scene from Babylon 5: "You will know pain, you will know fear and then you will die."

"Have a pleasant flight!"

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions