Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 am 
As far as title drops for long-running comics go, that was both epic and not what you'd expect from strip one. I heartily approve!

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:42 am 
Durandal_1707 wrote:
Physicist wrote:
Many things begin...and Pete has apparently been planning this Moment of Awesome for...sixteen years?

Pete is great, but come on. There's no way this was the plan in 1997.

Have a look at the name of the strip and what character has always featured with the name. He probably has and as well that horrible, horrible Krig Gaul pun. Ohhhhh man, sixteen years to inflict THAT on us?

How Evil.

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:05 am 
Hang on now, aren't all deities "freelance"? Think about it, they supposedly help out whomever "pays" them, (in the form of prayer/ tribute/ sacrifices) regardless of who that person is. Gods are the ultmate mercenaries.

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:52 am 
Yahoo Messenger: KarlMonster
balthazar wrote:
Hang on now, aren't all deities "freelance"? Think about it, they supposedly help out whomever "pays" them, (in the form of prayer/ tribute/ sacrifices) regardless of who that person is. Gods are the ultmate mercenaries.

No. What good is being a Superior Being with out any worshipers/devotees/followers/adherents/supplicants/sacrifices/donations/altar boys or FaceButt licks? Going away and doing whatever you want gets you forgotten.

Zed : "Is this your god's house?"
Friend: "Oh, so its God you're seeking? Well take your pick (gestures about the hall); Gods, Goddesses, Kings and Queens. ... But they're all dead."
Zed : "Dead?"
Friend: "Died of boredom. (Laughs)"

EvilMidnightLurker wrote:
And so it begins. (Or continues, I don't know.)

McNinjad! Arrrrr! I totally wanted to use the Bab 5 line.

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:53 am 
Well, he was previously franchised under Krohnus. Can't call yourself freelance if you ain't yer own boss :p

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:45 am 
This is evil. This is just plain evil. Pete is toying with us, teasing us and then not delivering.

We have the Mohkadun-city. We have the gods, we have Timeless Space, the Tower, we have very direct hints that Krig is Santa Claus. We all were expecting to finally find out what started the feud between Santa and Bun-Bun. They are joined outside the pyramid; two outcasts who have all reason to join forces and get along - and we are just waiting to find out how that turned into driving them apart.

And then we get told: "Well, that's an even older story. Don't expect answers!".

Admittedly, Mohkadun answered a lot of questions but it seems like Pete always likes to keep some stuff.

Regards,

TCC

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 am 
"Worship the comic"... Indeed!!!
Especially now, that the comic is a freelance god of power! :bunbun:

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:55 am 
TCCPhreak wrote:
This is evil. This is just plain evil. Pete is toying with us, teasing us and then not delivering.

We have the Mohkadun-city. We have the gods, we have Timeless Space, the Tower, we have very direct hints that Krig is Santa Claus. We all were expecting to finally find out what started the feud between Santa and Bun-Bun. They are joined outside the pyramid; two outcasts who have all reason to join forces and get along - and we are just waiting to find out how that turned into driving them apart.

And then we get told: "Well, that's an even older story. Don't expect answers!".

I'm sure we'll get them, but I really thought they were coming in THIS story since we seemed to be in the wind-up to the home stretch. It looks like to get full clarity we'll have to visit a time both before Mohkadun, to see what started the feud, as well as after, to see what caused BunBun to finally be thrown out of the tower. Not sure how that exposition would take place though on top of all the other stories that still need telling without another 5+ years of narrative (not that I'd complain about that).

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:13 pm 
Bunny Suction wrote:
Not sure how that exposition would take place though on top of all the other stories that still need telling without another 5+ years of narrative (not that I'd complain about that).

Plus, we have to leave time for another three (four?) Torg Potter parodies before the end...

The comic has been named. Is it not nifty?

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:17 pm 
And so it begins!

So awesome Pete! So awesome! I don't comment nearly as much as I should. (mostly because I wait a few months and read the Sluggy goodness in marathon mode) but caught up that was - *tips hat* bravo!

I fully believe Pete DID have this planned if not from 1997 than from Oceans Unmoving. However I DO think most of it he had roughly planned/knew from the beginning - because we all know he plans ahead.

I saw THIS in the news on may 12th: it provides the foundation of this final part of the Sluggy Freelance story.

Pete NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It can't end. *rocks back and forth*

However I have faith in our lightbrite overlord.

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:17 pm 
balthazar wrote:

Previously Sluggy was part of a pantheon, "hired" by Krohnus as it were. Now he's working solo as a freelance god.

KarlMonster wrote:
EvilMidnightLurker wrote:
And so it begins. (Or continues, I don't know.)

McNinjad! Arrrrr! I totally wanted to use the Bab 5 line.

The reference has already been made. It is too late for the Sluggites to post. ;)

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 pm 
TCCPhreak wrote:

Admittedly, Mohkadun answered a lot of questions but it seems like Pete always likes to keep some stuff.

Regards,

TCC

+1 Yes, what TCC said! I came in to say pretty much the same thing. Sooooooooo close.......

Bandersnatch wrote:
The comic has been named. Is it not nifty?

+10

NovemberMists wrote:
I saw THIS in the news on may 12th: it provides the foundation of this final part of the Sluggy Freelance story.

Pete NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It can't end. *rocks back and forth*

+100

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:56 pm 
NovemberMists wrote:

Everything that has a beginning, has an end.

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:44 pm 
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I think I still prefer Sluggy Freelance not having a canon explanation, but the "Sluggy's Freelance" line is amusing. I found the Mohkadun story to be extremely satisfying. I suspect the origins of the Bun-Bun/Santa feud will be explained eventually. I seriously doubt it originates in the previous spark because, well, Santa doesn't exist yet!

Also, the only interesting thing about the previous spark to me is how Bun-Bun became a god. And that can always be explained in a flash back.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions