Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for June 25, 2014
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:39 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
L plus 3.09

Wednesday is ready for Pete's sneakiness. The List shall continue no matter how much you look at it with confusion or scorn. The nonsense must go on!

1) Oh come on guys. I already gave you all the trade-secrets from my previous employer. And I might add, will definitely give you an advantage over your major competitor in this marketplace. I don't work for them anymore since they betrayed my trust. Why do I have to "fire" the guy? She's much better at this... See? I told you.

2) Now that we have sent them to bed, it's time to get this party started! Yo DJ! Give me some wicked heart-stopping beats that we can "dance" to. I know that some of you aren't really dressed for this, but don't worry. Just take a stab at it. You only live once.

3) What is taking them so long? This "trip" of theirs is taking too long...is it? How long does it take usually? Maybe they ran ito some traffic. Maybe they died in some horrible... Oh thank goodness, they're back! Wait, where's...?

4) Come on now. I give you my word that that we will pretend that what you did, didn't happen. You can trust me. Ah...never mind that I didn't fulfill that other promise that I promised you from before. That doesn't mean anything now... Okay then, how about an "equal" trade instead? You have something valuable I want, that is a little beaten up. But I have something just as valuable you want that is in mint condition... Oh...you're just going to buy a newer model instead? Drat.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
[#95 +0 *640]

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:07 am 
*Busts out the popcorn.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:49 am 
Ah, Lunoa - Luna.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:45 am 
Panel 2's expression...yep, that's definitly a Riffcestor.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
Ah, Lunoa - Luna.

Isn't there some "children's secret language" where you add an o after each inner consonant? Like Luna becomes Lun-o-a? Or where you reflect a syllable? Like Nul-oa becomes Lun-oa.

And isn't there something to attach to a word that indicates the number 2? Like "Du"? So that you could say that there is something double about Nuloa by calling it Du-nuloa?

I can't believe that I never caught the "Du" in her name before.. This looks like Dunuloa somehow first lost her "Du" and then was subjected to usual children's talk over some years. Or should I head to specs with this?

Regards,

TCC

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:59 am 
It looks like Elder Maloufo's tone is the reason for this epilogue's name - like the city, he's living on "De-nile".

*goes and hides*

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am 
That must have been some walk, Memphis is a long way from Tunisa (oldest step pyramid is in Saqqara, the necropolis for Memphis).

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:52 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Ah, yesterday I thought "Macha" was actually Symachus, not his son. The wife and I were discussing the implications of that on the current day, if he was blind but still immortal.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:07 pm 
So... Symachus never came for his son, and apparently his noblewoman lover disowned the child as well -- or was killed/incapacitated/otherwise removed -- and it appears that Maloufo and Wyntiti have at least one child.

Funny how Maloufo ended up going from stable manager to bard, and his adopted son has taken up his calling... which he now denies.

Tomorrow should be a fascinating read.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:31 pm 
seebert42 wrote:
That must have been some walk, Memphis is a long way from Tunisa (oldest step pyramid is in Saqqara, the necropolis for Memphis).

I came up with an estimate of the distance traveled using Google Maps: About 3100 km (Just under 2000 miles) - a third of the Long March.
I assumed they started in Tunis rather than a point in Southern Tunisia and generally followed the coast until they reached the Nile delta. Given that there were many sites that could potentially have been settled along the way (they would have had to travel through Cyranaica), they were intending to go to Memphis from the beginning. Of course, if they actually are someplace else, say Babylon, then many of the assumptions I made would not apply. (I must point out that if they actually traveled all the way to Babylon, they really were Too Dumb to Live)

My guess is that the shortest possible trip would be 1 year, roughly the time taken for the Long March, if they set out heading for Memphis. The trip taking a few years is entirely possible depending on the problems they faced along the way. Of course, if they did more wandering (but why?), they would have taken even longer.

CheeseWhisper wrote:
So... Symachus never came for his son, and apparently his noblewoman lover disowned the child as well -- or was killed/incapacitated/otherwise removed -- and it appears that Maloufo and Wyntiti have at least one child.

Funny how Maloufo ended up going from stable manager to bard, and his adopted son has taken up his calling... which he now denies.

Tomorrow should be a fascinating read.

Extrapolating from the Long March, less than a tenth of those starting the trip actually made it all the way to the destination. Most would have either died, got separated or dropped out along the way. It is therefore likely that Macha's parents went missing at some point and were assumed to be dead - he would then be regarded as an orphan regardless of whether his parents were still alive.
The role of bard and oral historian is extremely important in this situation if you think about it. Macha has to be a very important man in his own right, even if he is still junior to Maloufo.

Note: I compare this journey to the Long March because there are many similarities. Even though the refugees weren't actually fleeing an enemy, they were traveling through some very difficult terrain, were traveling a very long distance and would have faced many of the same problems. And they would be doing so with a column of civilians of varying ages and physical condition rather than a force of soldiers and guerrillas.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 pm 
CheeseWhisper wrote:
Funny how Maloufo ended up going from stable manager to bard, and his adopted son has taken up his calling... which he now denies

It was apparent pretty early on that Maloufo was at least a wannanbe bard. Ref his awful love song to Wyntiti

Camel poop manager was just his day job (Although he was apparently of noble family)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:03 pm 
erewhon wrote:
CheeseWhisper wrote:
Funny how Maloufo ended up going from stable manager to bard, and his adopted son has taken up his calling... which he now denies

It was apparent pretty early on that Maloufo was at least a wannanbe bard. Ref his awful love song to Wyntiti

Camel poop manager was just his day job (Although he was apparently of noble family)

Yeah, I was commenting more on what happened with his true chosen career later on.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
My guess is that the shortest possible trip would be 1 year, roughly the time taken for the Long March, if they set out heading for Memphis. The trip taking a few years is entirely possible depending on the problems they faced along the way. Of course, if they did more wandering (but why?), they would have taken even longer.[

They obviously had a pretty limited knowledge of geography, ("What is a mountain...") so some wandering would be understandable.

I have to wonder (not spec, just sarcasm) why Krohnus chose to keep his 'City of Mankind' in an unstable oasis in the middle of an arid desert, from which he (by his own admission) had to exert his power to hold back the encroaching sands for over a century, when there was a fertile river valley not THAT far away as the god flies.

Gods eh? Not always playing with a full pantheon if you ask me.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:18 pm 
erewhon wrote:
slightlylooney wrote:
My guess is that the shortest possible trip would be 1 year, roughly the time taken for the Long March, if they set out heading for Memphis. The trip taking a few years is entirely possible depending on the problems they faced along the way. Of course, if they did more wandering (but why?), they would have taken even longer.[

They obviously had a pretty limited knowledge of geography, ("What is a mountain...") so some wandering would be understandable.

I have to wonder (not spec, just sarcasm) why Krohnus chose to keep his 'City of Mankind' in an unstable oasis in the middle of an arid desert, from which he (by his own admission) had to exert his power to hold back the encroaching sands for over a century, when there was a fertile river valley not THAT far away as the god flies.

Gods eh? Not always playing with a full pantheon if you ask me.

I agree that that is more than a little strange. Krohnus could also have put the city where Tunis now stands - it is also a fertile region. I hope Pete will expand on that.

I also hope that Pete would tell us where the Mohkadun refugees actually wound up, and how they got there. If they actually wound up in Memphis or somewhere along the Nile, I would like to know why they did not settle in the more habitable areas in North Africa closer to Mohkadun: for example, where Tunis, Tripoli or Benghazi stand today.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:38 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:

I agree that that is more than a little strange. Krohnus could also have put the city where Tunis now stands - it is also a fertile region. I hope Pete will expand on that.

I also hope that Pete would tell us where the Mohkadun refugees actually wound up, and how they got there. If they actually wound up in Memphis or somewhere along the Nile, I would like to know why they did not settle in the more habitable areas in North Africa closer to Mohkadun: for example, where Tunis, Tripoli or Benghazi stand today.

Well, I guess we have to bear in mind that this is supposedly well before the Egyptian civilizations with which we are familiar. So, 5000 years plus.

Evidence seems to suggest that the climate in that region changed over the past ten to fifteen thousand years or so and became less fertile in some regions as the monsoons retreated further south and desertification increased. Could be that rivers and fertile areas weren't exactly where they are now.

Current theory seems to have a rapid desertification of the Sahara region around 3500 BC due to a cyclical shift of a few degrees in the Earth's axial tilt. (It's supposted to swing back in another 15,000 years or so.)

So maybe that's what caught Mokhadun once big K turned off the magic holding back the sands..

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions