Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Wednesday was busy as well "correcting" a strip. Click on image to see full sized image.

And here is the original for you to gawk at, if you wish.

Also, Fri might have something as well, but it is having...problems. Mostly self-inflicted, but it's going to blame Pete instead. Yup, all his fault. Darn you Pete.

-----
Show Pete your displeasure by voting for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
[#92 +4 *328]

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:09 am 
Wheit. Balkmin. Shoulda seen that coming ... but I totally didn't.

Well done, Pete.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:13 am 
The wonders of technology. Advancing society one drunken step at a time.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:43 am 
When did Bleater change from 12-character posts (when it was introduced) to 8-character posts (mentioned in today's strip)?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:49 am 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
Read her description again. Different service--she even compares it to Bleater!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:54 am 
Bandersnatch wrote:
When did Bleater change from 12-character posts (when it was introduced) to 8-character posts (mentioned in today's strip)?

PeteNoRmber?

Silly Green Monkey wrote:
Read her description again. Different service--she even compares it to Bleater!
No, she's comparing Bleater's "8 characters" to Tweetblr's service which allows you to use whole sentences instead.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:32 am 
Ah yes. Autocorrect and social media in general. Both things I have forsaken over the years.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 am 
I would really like to see a story where Riff goes hunting! The possibilities are endless.

balthazar wrote:
Ah yes. Autocorrect and social media in general. Both things I have forsaken over the years.

I use a Samsung phone, and I never access the internet on it except for on rare occasions to get maps. (Which doesn't happen often, since 95 percent of the time you walk where you have walked before.) I do that through my home internet, nowhere else. I haven't downloaded a single app. Why should I? I don't need cellphone games or cellphone music since I'm not a kid. I don't need to check my email on my phone since I have internet at home and at work.

Sometimes I have been on the subway in a nearby city, or on a bus. I see people - mostly women - use their cellphones then to play games. The trip takes at the very most fifteen minutes, usually less. So that's what people mean when they say "You have to download this and this app, you'll need it!"

I use my phone for calling, texting and occasionally taking pictures. Which means that when other people complain of how quickly their cellphone batteries are drained, mine lasts for days and days.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:19 pm 
Silverwalker wrote:
I would really like to see a story where Riff goes hunting! The possibilities are endless.

balthazar wrote:

I use a Samsung phone, and I never access the internet on it except for on rare occasions to get maps. (Which doesn't happen often, since 95 percent of the time you walk where you have walked before.) I do that through my home internet, nowhere else. I haven't downloaded a single app. Why should I? I don't need cellphone games or cellphone music since I'm not a kid. I don't need to check my email on my phone since I have internet at home and at work.

Sometimes I have been on the subway in a nearby city, or on a bus. I see people - mostly women - use their cellphones then to play games. The trip takes at the very most fifteen minutes, usually less. So that's what people mean when they say "You have to download this and this app, you'll need it!"

I use my phone for calling, texting and occasionally taking pictures. Which means that when other people complain of how quickly their cellphone batteries are drained, mine lasts for days and days.

You're driving somewhere you've gone before, but you aren't sure which route will have better traffic. The Google Maps App knows.

You're out at the lake, and the clouds look a little stormy. Just how far away *is* that thunderstorm? MyRadar knows.

You're running late for a flight. Fortunately you have no checked baggage, but you forgot the boarding passes you printed at home. Do you need to stop at the kiosk? No, because you have the JetBlue app, and it has your boarding pass ready to display.

You're at the horse races, but the lines at the betting windows are way too long and the race is about to begin! Good thing you have the Twinspires App.

My point is that everyone thinks they can get along without new technology for a while. And there's nothing wrong with that. But once you've experienced the benefits it has to offer, it's hard to go back to the old way of doing things.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:40 am 
Oh look! Torg has all his teeth again. Neat!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 am 
I'll be honest, that was the first time in a long time I've laughed like that. Bravo! Especially Zoë's facial expression.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 am 
Don't worry, Zoë, you can still get a job as a police officer.

(Oh yes, I went there!)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:56 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
:torg:

It's your fault, Zoe. First order of business on a new word processor is always 'set spell-check to only issue you warnings, not randomly replace what you meant to say with something you didn't, without asking or notifying you'.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:04 am 
Lindley wrote:
You're driving somewhere you've gone before, but you aren't sure which route will have better traffic. The Google Maps App knows.

You're out at the lake, and the clouds look a little stormy. Just how far away *is* that thunderstorm? MyRadar knows.

You're running late for a flight. Fortunately you have no checked baggage, but you forgot the boarding passes you printed at home. Do you need to stop at the kiosk? No, because you have the JetBlue app, and it has your boarding pass ready to display.

You're at the horse races, but the lines at the betting windows are way too long and the race is about to begin! Good thing you have the Twinspires App.

My point is that everyone thinks they can get along without new technology for a while. And there's nothing wrong with that. But once you've experienced the benefits it has to offer, it's hard to go back to the old way of doing things.

What? Oh, you were serious. Yes, how will I ever survive without knowing how many kilometers away I am from that rain cloud. I might get wet if I don't know!
And I do bet on horses all the time. How would I survive without being able to do it online?

I don't need any of that nonsense, the examples only convince me even more of how weak and lazy some people are.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:05 pm 
Hey all! Finally fixed that 8-characters/12-characters goof!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions