Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:33 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Monday went over and smac-- spoke with Fri about its lackadaisical attitude towards this important work we are supposed to be performing. Well Fri will get off of its serifs and will definitely be sure not to have some "baffling picture" up instead what it's supposed to have on its day. Or else.

Speaking of important work, here is what Fri was supposed to work on, but what Monday had to finish... (click on pic to see full-size image)

Original 2014-08-04 strip

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day. It's important!
[#92 +0 *451]

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:25 am 
Okay, did I miss a news announcement, or is this just the opposite of serendipity? Being from Nebraska, there are pretty much no cons within practical travelling distance. However, I accompanied my sister and her kids on a Disney World vacation a couple of weeks ago. Assuming Pete went with Leah, I was one resort over from Pete in Pop Century. This may have been the best chance I ever had for meeting the Nifty One, and I didn't even realize it. :(

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:32 am 
... what the hell happened in this one?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:45 am 
Durandal_1707 wrote:
... what the hell happened in this one?

I'm pretty sure that, after a phone OS update, Torg's GPS rerouted them to drive into a tree. Torg being Torg, he willingly complied with the new direction. Gwynn realized the peril and her magic self-defenses kicked in. It remains to be seen as to where they ended up as a result.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:55 am 
Yes, but... "Candied Haggis"? "Caramel Spam"? Are these references to some particular real-life OS? 'Cause if they are, I have no idea what the reference is supposed to be. Or are all operating systems given similarly inane names?

And was there a particular real-life smart-phone OS which caused apps to malfunction like this? Again, I don't get the reference.

Last edited by Bandersnatch on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 am 
Gwynn, you just ruined a perfectly good day. :torg:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:17 am 
Bandersnatch wrote:
Yes, but... "Candied Haggis"? "Caramel Spam"? Are these references to some particular real-life OS? 'Cause if they are, I have no idea what the reference is supposed to be. Or are all operating systems given similarly inane names?

And was there a particular real-life smart-phone OS which caused apps to malfunction like this? Again, I don't get the reference.

All Google Android operating systems are named after deserts. The current OS is KitKat.

The GPS leading them into a tree might just be a general gag, but it could possibly be referring to Apple. In iOS 6, Apple banned Google Maps from their phones and replaced it with their own map app. It was apparently terrible and would give users insane directions. I did not have personal experience with it, however.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:24 am 
shoelessinsight wrote:
All Google Android operating systems are named after deserts.

Indeed. I've been using it since Gobi, but I have to admit that Indus Valley is the first version where they got their act together from an aesthetic standpoint. Kharan has been great, but I'm really looking forward to Larzac.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Ooh, could this be the start of a real plot, or just another gag? Hoping the former.

I'm not sure if I should be interpreting Gwynn's quick and instinctive jump to magic as a sign she's more experienced, or that she's more ok with her powers now that she has a deeper understanding of the book. Maybe a bit of both?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:32 am 
That really didn't take them long to get discovered.

I blame Zorg.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:48 am 
I think your new OS needs a patch.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:50 am 
ZylonBane wrote:
shoelessinsight wrote:
All Google Android operating systems are named after deserts.

Indeed. I've been using it since Gobi, but I have to admit that Indus Valley is the first version where they got their act together from an aesthetic standpoint. Kharan has been great, but I'm really looking forward to Larzac.

Whether it's from the hot sun or too much sugar, my brain has been fried and I can no longer spell correctly. :sam:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am 
Celadon wrote:
Ooh, could this be the start of a real plot, or just another gag? Hoping the former.

I suspect the former. Especially with the punny insult to Gwynn carved into the tree- now you're messing with a son of a birch.....I suspect poopypants had something to do with this OS update.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:26 pm 
This sounds a bit like Gwynn:

Red hot mama
Velvet charmer
Time's come to pay your dues

Now (whoops, "Gnarl") you're messin' with... a son of a birch!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:06 pm 
shoelessinsight wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:

All Google Android operating systems are named after deserts. The current OS is KitKat.

The GPS leading them into a tree might just be a general gag, but it could possibly be referring to Apple. In iOS 6, Apple banned Google Maps from their phones and replaced it with their own map app. It was apparently terrible and would give users insane directions. I did not have personal experience with it, however.

Thanks, shoelessinsight! That makes a lot of sense (and is pretty funny).

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions