Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Wednesday hasn't even started another colorizing at this time, so no idea if I'll have another one this week. Haven't had as much free time so far this week. Being tired probably doesn't help either.

Colored to date list. 11 so far.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day. Don't want to make the NSA unhappy.
[#97 +0 *434]

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:24 am 
Now who are these two again?

... nah, I'm still with you, Pete. Looking forward to see where this goes.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:38 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
At first I thought the part with the Germans was something that happened in the past. Now it appears that this is all happening at the same time. The "Pope monster" and Arabelle are not the same creature.

And if anyone is wondering, what he says in German is somewhat basically what he tells them in English.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:58 am 
Do not underestimate the power of the nerds. They usualy know alot more about the really weird stuff and how to deal with it then most people.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:58 am 
Those ARE magic boots of speed, aren't they? He has sparkles trailing behind every time he walks.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 am 
Zillatain wrote:
And if anyone is wondering, what he says in German is meant to be basically what he tells them in English.

There. Fixed that for you.

Better German would probably be:

"Hey! Es ist hier unsicher! Gehen Sie in das Gebäude da rein!" But this still feels strange.

EDIT: "Holen" means "to fetch".

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:52 am 
Well, actually most Germans would say nowadays something like "He, hier ist es gefährlich! Wir müssen in's Haus!"

Then again, wouldn't that guy know D&D I would think based on his appearance that Gwynn and Torg are now 200-300 years in the past. :)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:39 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Establish current location in time? Check.
Link main characters to tangent? Check.
Remind readers of the glasses? Check.

Yay comic balance restored! ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 am 
Iwashere wrote:
Well, actually most Germans would say nowadays something like "He, hier ist es gefährlich! Wir müssen in's Haus!"

I thought about turning the negative "not safe" to a positive "dangerous", and that indeed sounds more natural, but is less a literal translation. I now think I like your version better than mine (if you fix the typo, it's "ins", not "in's").

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:27 am 
Iwashere wrote:
Then again, wouldn't that guy know D&D I would think based on his appearance that Gwynn and Torg are now 200-300 years in the past. :)

That's what I thought too. But given that he speaks English, recognizes Americans, and especially that he knows about D&D, that puts them no more than 40 years in the past, in our normal reality or something very similar to it.

With magic boots of speed+1 and other magical stuff. Interesting.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:48 am 
Thank you for clearing up the german language part, that is on of my pet peeves: Using a "foreign" language and then getting it wrong :|

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
garyfritz wrote:
Iwashere wrote:

That's what I thought too. But given that he speaks English, recognizes Americans, and especially that he knows about D&D, that puts them no more than 40 years in the past, in our normal reality or something very similar to it.

With magic boots of speed+1 and other magical stuff. Interesting.

Look at the house. It's a very modern design.

LB :zoe:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:19 am 
Iwashere wrote:

As a German, sounds legit. :)

Leibowitz wrote:
That is on of my pet peeves: Using a "foreign" language and then getting it wrong :|

It bugged me so much I had to register here to comment. *shudder*

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:48 am 
Some good suggestions already in the thread for correcting the German. But if nothing else changes, the one thing that would definitely get a red mark in a high school German class: It should be "ins Gebäude", not "in dem Gebäude". (ins, short for in das: involving movement into a location; in dem: describing action within a location).

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:30 am 
Chabneruk wrote:
Iwashere wrote:

As a German, sounds legit. :)

Perhaps this was meant as "take shelter" - "holen Sie sich Schutz". Although I think, "verbarrikadieren" could fit, too. I'm also not sure whether this is meant as "you two! into the house!" ("Gefahr - suchen Sie Schutz im Haus") or "let us three take shelter in the house" ("Wir müssen ins Haus!").

Also note that in times of danger, us germans tend to let correct grammar slip and use short orders in favour of long sentences (Mark Twain once wrote about the lenghtyness of german sentences). We might also discuss whether someone would use the formal "Sie" in that case.

Leibowitz wrote:
That is on of my pet peeves: Using a "foreign" language and then getting it wrong :|

It bugged me so much I had to register here to comment. *shudder*[/quote][/quote]
Thankfully, I already had an account..

Oh Pete.. You know, you have such a great fanbase. You could simply ask for a native speaker in the forums instead of using a bad translator. With simple passages like this, you wouldn't even spoil plot. If you're worried about spoiling, you could give them the passages out of story order and slip in some red herrings.

Although.. maybe Marco is not as fluent in german, himself, and therefore may be clumsy. It may simple have been the best language to use in their group.

On the other hand: I think most readers of the comics don't even notice if a quote in another language is slightly incorrect. As long as it sounds foreign, they simply accept it. The whole effort of finding a "better" translation isn't just worth it if only a minimal percentage of the readership is bound to notice. And - let's face it - they won't stop reading just because of some typos or bad translation.

Regards,

TCC

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions