Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:30 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Thursday is just like yesterday. Still haven't started on another colorizing. Though I'm looking into possibly making up for this week's dearth with something more next week. I'll have a better idea tomorrow if it is feasible.

Strips colored to date. 11 at this moment.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day. Don't want to make the NSA unhappy.
[#96 +1 *472]

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:54 am 
Torg, the ever practical.. and 'Run away' is always a good tactic if you are out gunned.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:34 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Okay, now we know where they're at and that it's present time.

So there's no way Torg would of said, "It got darker a few hours earlier than I expected." We're talking about a six of seven hour time difference from New Jersey to Poland here.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 am 
The German word for hate is "Hass!" These monstrosities run around saying "Hating! Hating!"

(If you want to take it into dialects, its even worse: "Hassen" sounds like "Haste'n" which is an abbreviation for "Haste ihn" => "Hast du ihn". Meaning they sound like they say "Have you got him" in short form :D Well, thinking about it, it is actually kind of fitting. Still weird).

Also, while "weglaufen" means "running away", normally you would use the phrase "weg hier!" for "run away!". But then, Torg wouldn't know that, so no complains here ;)

Btw. I'm a longtime fan of the series, started reading years ago - so all of the above is concern for quality, not real critiscism.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:51 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Okay, now we know where they're at and that it's present time.

So there's no way Torg would of said, "It got darker a few hours earlier than I expected." We're talking about a six of seven hour time difference from New Jersey to Poland here.

Ever heard of an understatement?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:44 am 
Chabneruk wrote:
The German word for hate is "Hass!" These monstrosities run around saying "Hating! Hating!"

Yeah, that bothered me a little bit too. Other reasonable variations would be the imperatives "Hasse" (suggesting one victim give in and hate) or "Hasst" (suggesting multiple victims give in and hate).

And yes, Torg totally has an excuse for just repeating the answer he heard verbatim.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 am 
schep wrote:
Chabneruk wrote:

Yeah, that bothered me a little bit too. Other reasonable variations would be the imperatives "Hasse" (suggesting one victim give in and hate) or "Hasst" (suggesting multiple victims give in and hate).

I don't think they are suggesting another victim to give in and start hating. I think they chanting the verb as a group because they are obsessed with it.

"The hate" is "der Hass"
"to hate" is "Hassen"

Also note the the two-syllable-word "hassen" lends itself to chanting better than the single-syllable-word "Hass". The 'n' flows better into the 'h' of the next iteration so this didn't big me at all.

Regarding "Weglaufen":
"To run away" means "Weglaufen" (although "Wegrennen" would pass, too).
"Run way!" means "Lauft weg!". German is pretty stupid in how the same verb can be changed depending on the usecase. However, I doubt that Torg has that knowledge about the language and Marco didn't expect the case in which Torg would use the word.

To be honest, I think "Wegrennen" would fit better into Torg's "Yes, of course" - because "Rennen" is closer to "run" than "Laufen".

@Chabneruk
"running away" alone sounds like the adjective "weglaufend" (as in "he did something running away"). Of course, in "he is running away" it becomes "er läuft (jetzt gerade) weg" - although I'd blame english here for using "is" to time-bend verbs.

Regards,

TCC

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am 
Where's Chaz when you need him, eh.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:27 am 
Well, Torg asked the wrong question. He asked for the word for the act of running away, and got a correct answer. He should have asked for the word for a suggestion to run away. Apparently he assumes that German uses the same form for infinitive and imperative because that's what he's used to in English.

"Hassen" has been bothering me, but I didn't say anything because it was unclear whether the monsters actually meant "hating", "Hate!", "I hate" or some other form.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:44 pm 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
Yes, Chaz would be useful here, but Torg is not wearing the Hero Shirt, therefore running away is the correct move. The proper question, in my mind, is where is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch when you really need it?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions