Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:30 pm 
Fianna Lord wrote:
Ah, don't listen to him/her. These forums are getting barren enough as is; we don't need to go scaring more folks off.

Hey, there's good and bad barren. Good barren is tranquil peace. Like when my neighbors' kids are off to boarding school one of these days, gods willing. Now, if someone has something against ONE strip, or two or three, that's one thing. But when someone consistently does the same thing and in the same tone ... it's not about being constructive or taking part in the conversation, it's about tearing down. Aiming for the most talkative strips because they are the easiest target where the seeds can hopefully be sown in others' minds. Oh, I know how it's done.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm 
AOL: EmpressLira
Really appreciate having this summary/brainstorm here all tidy-like because I was starting to lose track. Very appropriate for a Wednesday.
I suspect that the reason Bill never transformed was because he was never exposed to Captain Botanical. Anything that dies in the area is trapped in its former vessel for Captain B's eeeeeeevil purposes, but only if personally exposed to Captain B does one get to become a Rage Husk after death, otherwise you're just dead and trapped in your old self until you rot.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:56 pm 
Silverwalker wrote:
But when someone consistently does the same thing and in the same tone ... it's not about being constructive or taking part in the conversation, it's about tearing down. Aiming for the most talkative strips because they are the easiest target where the seeds can hopefully be sown in others' minds.

I know, right? It almost as if there are certain clunky narrative habits that Pete repeatedly indulges in. In this case it's the oft-inflicted "Here is the reference manual for this story's gimmick" strip (or strips, when we're really unlucky). At least this time he didn't wait until the denouement to present it, so that's something.

We now resume our tale of grumpy undead broccoli or whatever.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 pm 
ZylonBane wrote:
Silverwalker wrote:
But when someone consistently does the same thing and in the same tone ... it's not about being constructive or taking part in the conversation, it's about tearing down. Aiming for the most talkative strips because they are the easiest target where the seeds can hopefully be sown in others' minds.

I know, right? It almost as if there are certain clunky narrative habits that Pete repeatedly indulges in. In this case it's the oft-inflicted "Here is the reference manual for this story's gimmick" strip (or strips, when we're really unlucky). At least this time he didn't wait until the denouement to present it, so that's something.

We now resume our tale of grumpy undead broccoli or whatever.

Oooooh! OOOOOH! Can we get a Dr. Venison interpretive dance primer on plant zombies? 101 things to know as you grow leaves? I bet it would only take about two months to fully cover the subject. Do it, Pete! You know you want to.

Also, I liked the way the info about how the mouse got fat was presented. Snuck up on me and made me go "Oh!" on a second read. I'm starting to hope Bill can join the gang for a while.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:24 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
OrzBrain wrote:
I'm starting to hope Bill can join the gang for a while

Well, he's certainly a livelier personality than Beth was, anyway.

Also, I think having the occasional strip to summarize what's been laid out over the course of several weeks can be quite helpful. I find they tend to reduce confusion rather than cause it. It's not like Pete does this constantly, just once or so during the BIG storylines.

LB :zoe:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:31 pm 
Bunny Suction wrote:
It's a pretty involved zombification process, which Pete freely admits via Torg. I'm cool with that. What's confusing me is why Bill's trajectory was different. He became immobilized after his death when no one else did. Maybe it's just the nature of his particular form of death (ie. cyanide destroyed the body, whereas everyone else's bodies were still operational enough for them to be up and about)? Either way, the next step for him still should have been to transform into a rage husk-monster the first time he got upset, which should have happened really quickly given his predicament. Granted he would not have been able to rush outside to finish the transformation. I guess what Pete's telling us with this strip is that eventually his body decayed enough that the window to transform into a rage-husk passed (no more "soil" as it were)?

[Not spec: explanation]
Explained by Bill/Torg. The immobilization affected Elza too, the Bishop dragged her outside after killing her and presumably introduced her to 'Captain Botanical' or in some way infected her. It was after that her sentient corpse came back self-powered.

Bill's spirit couldn't leave the cell in the usual way because of the magial wards in any case, regardless of the pervading 'ghost catcher' spell.
[/Not spec: explanation]

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:03 am 
I second the desire for Bill to join the gang for a while, and his coolness/ability to jive with Torg.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:23 am 
These sort of recap/expostion heavy strips are necessary every now and then, though some are done better than others. None have ever topped Dr. Venison, that's for sure.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:29 pm 
Fianna Lord wrote:
These sort of recap/expostion heavy strips are necessary every now and then, though some are done better than others. None have ever topped Dr. Venison, that's for sure.

I kind of appreciate this sort of strip every once in a while. It was more fulfilling than cut-and-paste dead Bill.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions