Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:40 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Tuesday must warn you that the Earth will implode (or something) probably on the 24th of January 5102. So if you have anything planned for that day or later, you might want to move it up.

Though, since the robots took over and enslaved all of humanity a few millennia earlier, you really shouldn't have any plans...

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
[#106 -2 *406]

Wait...what year is this?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:41 am 
Now all Torg needs is somebody named Alonso...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:59 am 
Kinda figured that would happen.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:16 am 
Allons-y for the win!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:46 am 
Now that I look at it again, that wheelbarrow... must of been designed by a madman who has never used one before.

It fails in about every respect to be useful for what a wheelbarrow would be normally used for. Even for abnormal uses it would still fail. I won't go in to detail (unless someone wants me to).

(Please don't)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:57 am 
I've always been fond of "Tally-ho!" myself, but to each thier own.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:59 am 
AOL: Eagle299
Yay, Doctor Who reference!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Now that I look at it again, that wheelbarrow... must of been designed by a madman who has never used one before.

It fails in about every respect to be useful for what a wheelbarrow would be normally used for. Even for abnormal uses it would still fail. I won't go in to detail (unless someone wants me to).

(Please don't)
No, go on. It looks like a perfectly serviceable wheelbarrow to me, within the limitations of the artistic precision of the comic. It fulfills the minimal criteria of wheelbarrowness, and resembles ones I have seen before. Perhaps not the most specialized for whatever wheelbarrow-purpose you had in mind, but the purpose of this particular wheelbarrow was never specified, and it otherwise resembles a serviceable example of a wheelbarrow.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:11 am 
Fishman wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

(Please don't)
No, go on. It looks like a perfectly serviceable wheelbarrow to me, within the limitations of the artistic precision of the comic. It fulfills the minimal criteria of wheelbarrowness, and resembles ones I have seen before. Perhaps not the most specialized for whatever wheelbarrow-purpose you had in mind, but the purpose of this particular wheelbarrow was never specified, and it otherwise resembles a serviceable example of a wheelbarrow.

The design does resemble real wheelbarrows but the support legs are too short and the front probably isn't angled enough.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:48 am 
Yes, the rear legs are a bit short, but other than that it's very much like actual wheelbarrows. See e.g. http://cds.a9t2h4q7.hwcdn.net/main/stor ... arrow1.jpg

Which is actually a lousy design BTW, since it requires you to lift and balance the entire load in the wheelbarrow. A mid-wheel or rear-wheel design (e.g. http://www.unionagway.com/LGTools/81732 ... rt-M20.jpg) that centers the load over the wheels makes a lot more sense but they're much less common. Also two wheels are a lot smarter so it doesn't tip so easily.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am 
Pete really needs to stop having people say "rage husk". It's just as clunky and awkward a phrase now as it was the first time. At the very least any normal people would have shortened it to just "husks" by now.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:36 pm 
Torg and Gwen keep talking about going east to face the monsters, but the strips for 1/13 and 1/14 establish the monsters and Swinorje as west of Orsintos Labs.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:37 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
garyfritz wrote:
Yes, the rear legs are a bit short, but other than that it's very much like actual wheelbarrows. See e.g. http://cds.a9t2h4q7.hwcdn.net/main/stor ... arrow1.jpg

That one is significantly better than the one in the comic. It has an angled front with the wheel under it, so the wheel supports more of the weight and it can be unloaded by tipping it forward. The rounded front is a drawback though, and it looks like it's made of plastic, which won't last long.

Here is a good heavy-duty wheelbarrow. It's robust, it can be tipped forward and left standing in that position, the wheel is well positioned, and is faily large so that it works on uneven ground, and the long handles make good levers.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:38 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Pavod wrote:
Torg and Gwen keep talking about going east to face the monsters, but the strips for 1/13 and 1/14 establish the monsters and Swinorje as west of Orsintos Labs.

That's because of a lingering magic spell that reverses east and west in the area. You see, before bishop Osterhagen came along with the Artifact, the Orsintos lab in Poland was built to research military applications of compass-point-reversing spells to make the enemy march in the wrong direction. They were in the middle of a test when they were all turned into hate monsters, and the spell was never cancelled. The fact that they could build a Western military research lab in the East Bloc illustrates how effective the spell is.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:40 pm 
Fishman wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

(Please don't)
No, go on.
Fine... This is the short version. Scrapped the long version.

From the side it looks odd but maybe not impossible, until you think about how it would function and what it would look like from a different angle. The form and function of this thing was made by a madman, but that is a given since we know Pete is crazy.

The stakes from the handles to the wheel are around the tub not underneath the tub. I even did a search but I couldn't find an image of an actual wheelbarrow without the stakes going underneath. Actually, scratch that, I did find an image, but just like Pete's, it's not real as well, though it does show off what Pete's would look similar too. Odd triangular wheelbarrow Though the one in the strip is similar, it would be much more unstable since the tub is being used as the main structure holding the entire thing together.

Now for pushing it, the angle is too great. When we see Marco pushing it, he has bend his elbows to lift it high enough for it to roll. You do not want to bend your arms when pushing a wheelbarrow with weight in it. Yes I know that Marco didn't have any weight in it, but Gwynn would have to do that to move Torg, though...the legs got mysteriously shorter in today's strip compared to Marco's...

As for those legs, you can't set it down because anything in it would fall out the back when you did so. Also the wheel is too far out for dumping. You would have to flip it upside down to get anything out of the front, since you would not be able to hang on to the handles once you tilt it so far.

I know Pete is an artist/storyteller, not someone who probably messes with things like this all that often (or at all), so it's just me complaining nonsensically about things that don't really impact the story in anyway.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions