Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for May 5, 2015
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Welcome to the Alpha's & Beta's Show of Wordiness. Today's guest-wordy is, not Tuesday.

LINE 0: START
LINE 1: hello everyone to the show
LINE 2:
LINE 3: i happy to report things back on schedule
LINE 4:
LINE 5: todays word is lollygagging
LINE 6:
LINE 7: i will now put into a descriptive sentence
LINE 8: while licking lollypop with eyeball became so sick from taste a fit of lollygagging occurred in my ear masticated nutrient came out
LINE 9: END

It would appear that AB-Bot (beta) may require a little more work. Now don't let that dissuade you from seeing our next show tomorrow. It should be very informative.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
[#98 -0 *87]
What? Only gained 3 votes since yesterday? ... Oh, it's giving an error...

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:06 am 
Squishy is gonna get OCD trying to wash the spot away.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 am 
Yeah, anytime Bun-bun's praising you, you know you've taken a drastically wrong turn with your life.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:14 am 
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/08/03/the-point-of-satire-is-to-comfort-the-afflicted-by-afflicting-the-comfortable/

Pete, please don't kick people who are already down.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:37 am 
Well, it's his JOB to determine if they are Indians, isn't it? Would he really be that easily intimidated? But maybe the Black-Ops elves are so good at subtlety and deception by now, after working in the shadows for so long, that they know just how to say things with the right intonation, etc.

Squishy-Dodo should have felt worse for being part of running Grab-All, I think. Too far gone on the dark side now, Squishy!

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:23 am 
That *was* the hard part -- for us.

Maybe now we can pretend it never happened.

I see "bombs with photos" made his Chekov's Kevin Costner appearance.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:19 pm 
Grumpy Cat never says "Good!". That would require some level of excitement. It's always just a flat "Good". Really, this is Memes 101 here. Heck, even the invocation of this meme is a bit confused, since Pete seems to be casting himself in the role of Grumpy Cat, rather than the presumably grumpy readers who pointed out how overplayed the native American name jokes are.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:08 pm 
This is a Native American joke? I thought it was a "we're so worried about political correctness that we can't even actually do our job because of the potential bad press" joke.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm 
Taemon wrote:

"If you need to explain satire, you may as well give up". - Barry Humphries

THAT'S why Squish is scrubbing himself so strongly. BUNBUN IS A BAD BUNNY. THE CHARACTERS KNOW IT'S BAD. PETE ACKNOWLEDGED THIS.

Gosh people. This was faaaar different enough from a simple native american joke, as well as given an appropriate twist to be appropriate for the characters to tell the reader that YES, THIS WAS BAD AND YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT. This was well executed and not in poor taste. It was just a collection of ridiculous jokes.

Is it comforting the afflicted community? No. But then again, the elves were TRYING to look as stupid as possible to elicit such a response from the lawyer. What would be the 'comfortable community' in this scenario? Just the awkward white lawyer who was afraid of being labeled racist. In fact, the 'comfortable' community WAS ridiculed. It's not perfectly defined satire in every sense of the definition in your strip, but it's close enough.

If you're offended by this, perhaps you've got a touch of oversensitivity (Or more generally, 'comfortable community' guilt, which can be likened to the more common 'white guilt' term, but without race implied). This and the previous panel were done in a perfectly tasteful and playful manner while not picking on natives. Nobody needs to jump to their defense here.

Don't worry Pete (I'm sure you're not).

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm 
OrzBrain wrote:
This is a Native American joke? I thought it was a "we're so worried about political correctness that we can't even actually do our job because of the potential bad press" joke.

correct.

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:51 am 
Yeah, 'cause nothing says "respect!" like pretending to be Native American by using idiotic names and passing out with a bottle of hard liquor. Nice. But don't you dare say something about it because otherwise Grumpy Cat will tell you "it's only a joke", "politically correct!", "lighten up", "you're oversensitive" and other Bigotry Bingo statements. When someone tells you "dude, that's racist", you might want to stop and consider what you're doing for a moment. It saves a lot of "I'm sorry you got offended"-notpologies later on.

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 am 
Taemon wrote:
Yeah, 'cause nothing says "respect!" like pretending to be Native American by using idiotic names and passing out with a bottle of hard liquor. Nice. But don't you dare say something about it because otherwise Grumpy Cat will tell you "it's only a joke", "politically correct!", "lighten up", "you're oversensitive" and other Bigotry Bingo statements. When someone tells you "dude, that's racist", you might want to stop and consider what you're doing for a moment. It saves a lot of "I'm sorry you got offended"-notpologies later on.

You can say whatever you want. It just leaves you open to other people disagreeing with you. Like in this instance.

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:32 am 
Taemon wrote:

To be fair, the drunken stupor was more of a trailer park joke (not that I'm making any statements about the fitness of said joke).

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions