Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for May 22, 2015
 Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:58 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Due to an unforeseen conflagration, annoyingly Friday's planned show must be postponed until next week. Sorry for not inconveniencing you.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
[#98 -3 *575]

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:17 am 
I have to admit, while Teresa is a master manipulator, she doesn't hold a candle to Bun bun.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:49 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
So this is more of Teresa's show than Gwynn's? Gwynn is only helping with it since she thinks the end result will be for "Zoe's own good"...

And then Bun-Bun tells her she's an idiot.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:25 am 
Zillatain wrote:
So this is more of Teresa's show than Gwynn's? Gwynn is only helping with it since she thinks the end result will be for "Zoe's own good"...

I guess the only surprise in this is that Bun Bun care enough to tell Gwynn that she's an idiot.
He has grown as a character - a few years ago he would just tell someone else about said idiocy. :bunbun:

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 am 
migB wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

I guess the only surprise in this is that Bun Bun care enough to tell Gwynn that she's an idiot.
He has grown as a character - a few years ago he would just tell someone else about said idiocy. :bunbun:

I think you're on to something about the character growth. Every once in a while you see Bunbun get all introspective and sometimes even change a bit (he's still a switchblade wielding, egocentric maniac. Just nicer.) Gwynn, on the other hand, really hasn't grown since the whole possession thing while it feels like all of the other characters have. Maybe, like 4U City Red and Riff, this is time for Gwynn to grow a bit. I really can't imagine Pete letting somebody who wields so much power continue to stagnate.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:10 pm 
Well, that caught me by surprise. I was expecting a different queen of diamonds.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:11 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
Gwynn and Bun-Bun have a special relationship. "Don't say I never did anything for you"

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:57 pm 
WonderCoi wrote:
migB wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

I think you're on to something about the character growth. Every once in a while you see Bunbun get all introspective and sometimes even change a bit (he's still a switchblade wielding, egocentric maniac. Just nicer.) Gwynn, on the other hand, really hasn't grown since the whole possession thing while it feels like all of the other characters have. Maybe, like 4U City Red and Riff, this is time for Gwynn to grow a bit. I really can't imagine Pete letting somebody who wields so much power continue to stagnate.

I disagree... she has grown, she just can be manipulated too easily.

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:49 am 
Love Gwynn holding the same pose from one panel to the next. I just think that's a nice touch.

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:46 pm 
Gwynn has always been as childish and bullheaded as the rest of the group, but she thinks that she's the normal one beset by the stupidity of those around her (essentially, she thinks she's Zoe). From this, her problem has always been that she's vain and selfish, so unlike Zoe who (usually) loves her friends despite or even because of their quirks, Gwynn uses that to justify thinking that everyone is worse than she is. She disdains the people around her while ignoring that she has the same flaws as they do - instead, she constantly blames her faults and problems on them, rather than growing as a person or trying to really get along with them. When she has interpersonal problems with the group, it's hardest for her to accept that she had a hand in creating them.

While she always pulls through in the end and does care about the others deep down, she nearly always thinks of herself and she wants and thinks first rather than what others want and think, and only really starts doing that when she has no choice but to face the consequences of her actions. At which point she has a tendency to take drastic measures.

She still shows that here. "Theresa's only coming onto Torg because she's a jerk, so I guess I don't have to break up Torg and Zoe after all" is a really nasty way of deciding not to do something like that, especially in contrast to something like "Theresa's only coming onto Torg because she's a jerk, maybe she's been manipulating me and breaking up Torg and Zoe isn't the best thing after all." She's still distancing herself from the issue, so in a way she comes out on top.

This seems like the year of Gwynn in general - I'm guessing that this is just one of several arcs already that will give Gwynn her character development, in this case in finally facing her faults.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions