Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:35 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Wednesday wants to be a laughing stock in a barrel of monkeys.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
[#128 +3 *293]

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:32 am 
Well, that answered that question I had about whether stakes work on Strakoi. He's not dusted though at any rate.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:36 am 
I am guessing she means their true power is to talk themselves out of trouble. Now that he said that she'll have to resurrect him, and she hates that.

I am thoroughly enjoying this vampire story. It feels like moving back in time, and it isn't often we are brought back to around the time I started reading, which was in 2000. A friend forwarded Pete's strip where Torg is explaining elections to Kiki by using her toy balls, making Riff increasingly annoyed in the background. Had to read all that had happened until then, which took me two weeks of constant reading. Imagine going back and reading from the beginning now.

We didn't see enough of the vampires back then I think, so it is great to see them again. I like their differences too, all believable, such as that Vorpyr go into torpor from being staked while Vrykos die immediately. And none of them have odd powers, it is all vampiric. Mist is an old vampire thing - would love to see a bat though, but Sam's cape will have to do.

If you could have the power of one of these kinds, which would it be? Strong Vorpyr, mind-controlling Vrykos, or Strakoi who can walk in the sunlight. The last one, I think, just to be boring but practical. You could join Survivor and win lots of money, since everyone else would be weak from hunger but you'd always have a fresh food supply ... but I digress.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:46 am 
Apparently staking in the heart doesn't kill a Strakoi?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:26 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Either the shock of having his hands cut off cut, sliced the (presumably fake) "accent" right out of him, or Pete forgot to add the accent to his dialog.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:08 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I like Vistuvius. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can be un-staked like a Vorpyr. (I love that we have a collective noun for them now. It's annoying typing out lysinda circle vampire all the time!)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:02 am 
Ack! Fixed the accent, I think!
The original mistake I blame on too much store multitasking. Tis' the season! Any mistakes I just made in attempting to fix the accent I blame on being a wee bit exhausted right now!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:27 am 
There's still an apostrophe too many in "ue're", ans in "You ue're too fast for me".

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:18 am 
garyfritz wrote:
Apparently staking in the heart doesn't kill a Strakoi?

I should hope not.

We need a vampire type/power lesson week, Pete!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:13 am 
Apparently vampires literally have their hearts in the left side only - judging by the effectiveness of the one-boob armor.
As opposed to humans where the heart is in the center, only being slightly closer to the chest wall in the left side.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:54 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
I am guessing she means their true power is to talk themselves out of trouble. Now that he said that she'll have to resurrect him, and she hates that.

I am thoroughly enjoying this vampire story. It feels like moving back in time, and it isn't often we are brought back to around the time I started reading, which was in 2000. A friend forwarded Pete's strip where Torg is explaining elections to Kiki by using her toy balls, making Riff increasingly annoyed in the background. Had to read all that had happened until then, which took me two weeks of constant reading. Imagine going back and reading from the beginning now.

We didn't see enough of the vampires back then I think, so it is great to see them again. I like their differences too, all believable, such as that Vorpyr go into torpor from being staked while Vrykos die immediately. And none of them have odd powers, it is all vampiric. Mist is an old vampire thing - would love to see a bat though, but Sam's cape will have to do.

If you could have the power of one of these kinds, which would it be? Strong Vorpyr, mind-controlling Vrykos, or Strakoi who can walk in the sunlight. The last one, I think, just to be boring but practical. You could join Survivor and win lots of money, since everyone else would be weak from hunger but you'd always have a fresh food supply ... but I digress.

Personally, I'm not very keen on the frequent references to the really old arcs. Feels like the author is living in the past or something. But then again, I only began reading this comic early this year, so I won't have the same sense of nostalgia everyone else has.

I'm also not very keen on the vampires getting expanded on so much, simply because there's so much "secret societies of vampires" type stuff everywhere. Heck, I just rewatched Underworld last night.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23 pm 
Pete, I hope you are reading this, because I just wanted to thank you and say how much I LOVE the fact that this woman made a point of working hard to be faster and stronger, rather than just sitting back and letting it happen. Seriously, I don't see this done enough and it works out SO well!
Thank you!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:31 pm 
I like her. :sasha:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:11 pm 
Did Dr. Vistuvius expect Urja to abstain from eating on his behalf?

"You were to fast for me!"

Marscaleb wrote:
Pete, I hope you are reading this, because I just wanted to thank you and say how much I LOVE the fact that this woman made a point of working hard to be faster and stronger, rather than just sitting back and letting it happen. Seriously, I don't see this done enough and it works out SO well!
Thank you!

Seriously. Competent villains are an important part of any good story, and Urja just upped the game.
migB wrote:
Apparently vampires literally have their hearts in the left side only - judging by the effectiveness of the one-boob armor.
As opposed to humans where the heart is in the center, only being slightly closer to the chest wall in the left side.

Yeah, I've tried to just ignore that part (and the lack of armor at other entry points). Given the general awesomeness of the storyline, I can let that go :)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:43 pm 
There is good reason to go through the left side of the chest if you want to hit the heart. The center of the chest has the thickest bone of the entire rib cage-- the one all the actual ribs radiate from. However, the heart sticks out on the left, making it possible to stick a rapier or other blade through the ribs and hit the bottom of the left ventricle. Considering that wooden stakes are much softer and blunter than a sword or dagger blade it makes sense to go for the heart in that place and give yourself the highest chance possible of actually getting a kill on a vampire.

In fact, the original idea of staking a vampire in the original folklore wasn't to kill them but merely immobilize them in their coffin. You didn't have to put the stake in the heart and it could be an iron nail instead and work just as well-- in fact many coffins of suspected vampires had multiple stakes/nails in their heart, hands, and feet just to be sure. Why the heart? Beats me. But it gives the ability of (most) vampires in Sluggy to survive a stake to the heart a nice connection to the original folklore even if it probably wasn't Pete's original intent. :-)

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions