Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Thursday is not going to tell you again. You have a terrible memory, so it would be pointless.

It has nothing to with Saturday forgetting what... Wait, what day is this?

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
[#112 +2 *465]

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:17 am 
So that 'splains what MRO is...

Getting shot at is never a good thing. It's even worse when you're riding an inflatable hoverbike. Riff and his girl better hope those guys are lousy shots. But hopefully the Vryko cavalry will arrive soon!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:44 am 
Interesting metalurgy fun-fact: when cast, as custom bullets often are, silver frequently forms voids in the cast, affecting the center of ballance and causing a loss of accuracy. A more effective silver bullet would use a lead core with a silver jacket, formed by pressing them through a form in a process called swaging, or by electro-plating the silver onto the lead core.
/ballistics nerd.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:47 am 
balthazar wrote:
Interesting metalurgy fun-fact: when cast, as custom bullets often are, silver frequently forms voids in the cast, affecting the center of ballance and causing a loss of accuracy. A more effective silver bullet would use a lead core with a silver jacket, formed by pressing them through a form in a process called swaging, or by electro-plating the silver onto the lead core.
/ballistics nerd.

Too long, just say "silver bullets need swag"

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:17 am 
balthazar wrote:
/ballistics nerd.

I've heard something like this before, but I want to know how much "loss of accuracy" we are talking. I would imagine that as long as the voids aren't both large and visible on the surface (thereby screwing the aerodynamics) it should only be off by a few inches at any reasonable range.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:37 am 
If I recall correctly, Mythbuster tested this in 2012, and found that the voids in the round, although compleatly located on the interior of the round, caused significant wobble, leading it to tumble fairly quickly. But I also seem to recall they were using spitzer rounds out of an M1 Garand, and slower, round pistol ammunition might work better. Certainly you wouldn't notice any drop in accuracy out of a smoothbore musket, from which the myth likely gains its source.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:14 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Oh Sam. "Hey you disabled us, be a bro and stop doing that?"

And the satellite is officially running. One step closer to 4U. Wonder how much else is about to happen in that vein.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:06 am 
balthazar wrote:
If I recall correctly, Mythbuster tested this in 2012, and found that the voids in the round, although compleatly located on the interior of the round, caused significant wobble, leading it to tumble fairly quickly. But I also seem to recall they were using spitzer rounds out of an M1 Garand, and slower, round pistol ammunition might work better. Certainly you wouldn't notice any drop in accuracy out of a smoothbore musket, from which the myth likely gains its source.

At least Riff doesn't have to worry about fluxing at the moment. I wonder how this Schlock got so smart.

And yeah, if there's any rotation at all, the asymmetry will cause that bullet to go nuts (spinny as most of them are these days).
migB wrote:
balthazar wrote:
/ballistics nerd.

Too long, just say "silver bullets need swag"

You're BOTH awesome.

Can't wait to see what happens when the third army enters the fray...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 pm 
Shankraft's lone line of dialog was really confusing me until I deduced that blasting Riff into an alternate dimension somehow isn't considering "taking him out".

So Schlock's line yesterday and today should have been "Kill him", because that's apparently what he actually meant.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 pm 
Um, what's with the "me/us" stuff? I'm definitely getting the impression there's a LOT more going on here than we're currently aware of.

LB :sasha:

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:47 am 
Taking someone out is a pretty common euphemism for killing. Of course, commonly people don't have dimensional flux agitators as an alternative, but still I don't see why there's such confusion just because it's *possible* that DFA could be considered taking someone out.

The first me/us seems pretty easy to explain. Schlock seems to be covering up his cowardice by including the whole group when his gut reaction is really just self-preservation. The second us/me I could just chalk up to a secondary goof, but I'll admit it's a little more awkward and might concern something we don't know.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:43 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Of course, commonly people don't have dimensional flux agitators as an alternative, but still I don't see why there's such confusion just because it's *possible* that DFA could be considered taking someone out.

"Take him out" was originally shorthand for taking someone out of the picture... which is itself a figure of speech for getting rid of someone. It does not automatically mean to kill someone. Like if a coach tells his team to take out an opposing player, it certainly doesn't mean that. So in this case "take him out" can be taken euphemistically, or literally. Fluxing Riff would indeed "take him out" in very nearly the most extreme manner possible.

So yeah, clumsy writing.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:41 pm 
I don't think it's clumsy writing at all. We're not talking about Shakespearean dialect here. It's Schlock, in panic, reacting to the person he fears most. (Strom, Oasis, and Kusari are scary too, but only Riff has a kill order, here and in 4U.) "Take him out" is a perfectly reasonable response for him.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:01 pm 
LadyBlanc wrote:
Um, what's with the "me/us" stuff? I'm definitely getting the impression there's a LOT more going on here than we're currently aware of.

I thought that for a minute too, but then realized that he's just mixing up his pronouns during his confused, fast, paniced speech. Nothing to worry about.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
LadyBlanc wrote:

I thought that for a minute too, but then realized that he's just mixing up his pronouns during his confused, fast, paniced speech. Nothing to worry about.

Maybe...

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions