Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:15 pm 
Cow_k wrote:
The Sampire comic shows just how low he can go.

Honestly, after the comic I can't muster any sympathy for him. It's one thing to have a bumbling dolt who's actions don't cause any serious harm - but in the comic that line was crossed. It's more than that though - after something like that you expect that the character arc would be one of redemption, but it's just never addressed, there seems to be little guilt, and Sam just goes on his merry bumbling way like all is good. I think after something like that you don't just get a free pass and you lose the privilege of being "one of the good guys."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:22 pm 
Dodger77 wrote:
As for Vamp abilities lessee

Great list!! A few additions/corrections:

Vorpyr shrivel when staked, and can recover if the stake is removed. Vrykos go poof.

I'm not sure the wooden stake has to be through the heart, except for Vryko masters. Riff's Mini-Vamp-Staker-2000 was just a toothpick. He said to "target Sam's dead heart" but there's no way a toothpick would reach it. I seem to remember several cases of Sam getting pricked by wood and shriveling, and I doubt they all hit his heart. Similarly all the Vrykos that got poofed in battle, I have trouble believing they all got it in the heart.

Vorpyr masters can create new Vorpyr, but it's a 3-day process ending with drinking the blood of the queen. Vryko masters can create a new servant every day, no queen blood required.

Vorpyr can read human thoughts. Not sure about Vryko.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:35 pm 
Thanks Dodger77!! I was with Silverwalker regarding losing track of the vampire differences.

To Rreed423 & Pete:
Rreed423 wrote:
Ha! I said Vyrkolakas are less effected by garlic and got a lecture telling me I was wrong.

Yeah, that was my bad - and my ignorance. My apologies. I had (purposely) forgotten the Sampire comic. Without the Sampire comic, I would agree with Spirantz's assessment of the Sampire character. However, with the Sampire comic, I have to go with Bunny Suction - even if, like Spirantz implies, he's still like "most people". So I'm pretending that it doesn't exist. :-P

However, if you had not have added "sunlight and wood", I might have kept my mouth shut and kept my ignorance hidden - Pete had just established that the Vrykos are more susceptible to wood. So I just decided to trade one misstatement for another. :-P Again, my apologies!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:09 pm 
Bunny Suction wrote:
Cow_k wrote:

Honestly, after the comic I can't muster any sympathy for him. It's one thing to have a bumbling dolt who's actions don't cause any serious harm - but in the comic that line was crossed. It's more than that though - after something like that you expect that the character arc would be one of redemption, but it's just never addressed, there seems to be little guilt, and Sam just goes on his merry bumbling way like all is good. I think after something like that you don't just get a free pass and you lose the privilege of being "one of the good guys."

You don't even need the Sampire comic to make that assessment. He was completely responsible for the deaths (or at least the severe maiming via boiling oil) of nearly all of Muffin the Vampire Baker's friends...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:59 pm 
eldion wrote:
Bunny Suction wrote:
Cow_k wrote:

You don't even need the Sampire comic to make that assessment. He was completely responsible for the deaths (or at least the severe maiming via boiling oil) of nearly all of Muffin the Vampire Baker's friends...

True. But even that, I can give him a pass because he's not causing the harm directly. Just via his own stupidity. The key difference for me in the comic, is Sam himself did a very bad thing, directly. And it didn't really seem to bother him all that much or register as something he should atone for.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:31 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Bunny Suction wrote:
The key difference for me in the comic, is Sam himself did a very bad thing, directly. And it didn't really seem to bother him all that much or register as something he should atone for.
From a human's point of view, it was "a very bad thing". From a vampire's point of view, it would be more of an embarrassment than anything else.

Sam may have human friends, but he is still a vampire with vampire instincts and morals. Humans are merely talking cattle to the superior vampire.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:11 am 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
eldion wrote:
Bunny Suction wrote:

Also he staked Angle.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:55 am 
Ah, I see some of you are finally leaning toward Riff's point of view regarding the Sampire :D

I've always viewed Sam as being similar to Aylee, but coming from the opposite direction. While Sam should know better, he was so thoughtless and oblivious in his pre-vampire life than he acquired none of the moral lessons that would prevent him from doing the dumb things he does. Aylee, in comparison, had no previous lessons. Both find themselves to be living moral exceptions to modern social norms, and since they each have their own brand of naivete, they stumble through contradicting needs blindly rather than struggling over their own incompatibility to society. Both also represent a form of unassailablily as far as justice is concerned. Typically ignorance of the law is not a defense, but this can only be applied if the perpetrator in question doesn't have unimaginable powers to evade or shrug off apprehension. We don't normally have to think too hard about whether someone found criminally negligent learned their lesson after they're locked up and out of our hair, but with Sam, he will never be out of our hair, and it's doubtful he'll ever truly understand what he did wrong. Same with Aylee. And so with both of them we're forced to confront this ignorance of the law issue directly, and it's uncomfortable.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:30 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
People make good points on both the pro and con sides of the Sam debate. I have a somewhat different angle on him I think. When I first started reading Sluggy, I thought it was kind of cute and definitely funny, but it seemed a bit, I don't know, inconsequential. Then Sam went missing and turned up again as a vampire, and Sluggy gained a new level of interest for me. And THEN... he STAYED a vampire. No return to status quo. Things changed permanently, and got more complicated and interesting. Sluggy was different than 95% of other comics out there and that's the moment I knew I was going to be with Sluggy for the long haul.

In light of that, I certainly wouldn't MIND Sam getting a little character development. People change. And the best people grow. To have someone remain static means art is not imitating life. But... I also have a fondness for Sam just as he is. He represents a lot of what is right with Sluggy. And finally, he's not bad - just terminally clueless - and it must be remembered that he does TRY to be a good guy. He's not very good at it, but occasionally he actually does succeed.

LB :sam:

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
If anything, I'm hoping you don't change Minion Master TOO much, TOO quickly, Pete.

MM's not going to change much at all. Well, he's going to change into a pile of dust, I guess that's a change. but other than that, My guess is that MM has about 30 seconds of "character development" time left.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:25 pm 
I will add one item to the "vampire abilities" list: Vorpyr like sam seem to have a "human looking" mode and a "vampire looking" mode and the ability to switch between the two.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:07 pm 
LadyBlanc wrote:
he's not bad - just terminally clueless - and it must be remembered that he does TRY to be a good guy. He's not very good at it, but occasionally he actually does succeed.

LB :sam:

Bingo. Why do we need cut and dry 'good guys' and 'bad guys'?

Boring. Been done to death. I think Sam's more defined than most people give him credit for, anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 pm 
I thought this'd be an interesting read! And it was more than I thought specifically how everyone felt about the Sampire and the impact the Sampire comic made.

That Sampire comic was always designed to be part of a trilogy (or dare I say, a quatrology?) but it became more than I could manage time-wise and that time-issue has only gotten worse. I do think finishing that trilogy would be something I'd love to do after the 2017 'finale.' And maybe in that trilogy you'd finally see Sam grow as a character. But he forgot by now so never mind!
;)
He DOES always mean well! Moving on....

So it looks like I'm clear on Vrykos being unaffected by garlic.
While vrykos are not as powerful at influencing humankind as the Vorpyr they can still influence the human mind:
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20040215
So we're good on that, right? Part of my old age is I'm not remembering everything as precisely as I would like and I'd hate to wrap a plot-point around a major screw up! Your help is appreciated!

Some time in the future I'll put up a list on what the different vampire abilities are.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions