Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 pm 
migB wrote:
I guess this should be seen as a consequence of Riff's character growth during 4U City?

He would have never knocked Torg out at any point before that - even though he had stakes with names on them :sam: :aylee:

Possibly, although it has echoes of both 4U's 'Old Riff', making life and death decisions for the denizens of the city because he believes he's the only one who can, and his dad's actions on the Mokhadun saga.

Obviously Will hated some of the things he was having to do, but was convinced it was absolutely necessary. This feels a bit the same.

That streak of pragmatic ruthlessness seems to run in his family. Riff may well be acting the way he is because he sees it as the only way to protect Torg, who matters a heck of a lot more to him at the end of the day than Sam.

Perhaps I'd call it 'character progression', rather than 'growth'.

However, it ain't over yet. I'm sure there's more to come.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:56 am 
Just remember, everyone, Pete is a sneaky dude. Things aren't usually as they seem. Also, I can't imagine leaving the comic with only a year to go.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:02 am 
Setting aside Sam, I don't see why either Torg or Riff are defending Sylvia. I know Torg has a soft spot for everyone, but Sylvia is someone who they have already met and tried to kill, and had cause to do so.

There's a difference between killing someone in a fight and using using them as helpless bait... I'm assuming that's the reason for his decision in this respect, but the way he phrased it he seemed to be putting her on the same level as Sam. And for that matter, the same goes for Riff - I know he doesn't trust Sam, but the hard-choices plan I'd expect from him would be to rescue Sam and leave Sylvia. Not to treat them equally.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:47 am 
We could call it character progression - lacking a word for a less than positve development.
It seems like Riff have adopted an attitude of "need to be done" - moving towards ends justifies the means.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 pm 
migB wrote:
We could call it character progression - lacking a word for a less than positve development.
It seems like Riff have adopted an attitude of "need to be done" - moving towards ends justifies the means.

That's nothing new though. He's always been like that. He's ALWAYS kinda let Torg do whatever he wants, begrudgingly, while keeping an eye on everything extremely closely.
But then again, he's never had dozens (hundreds?) of vampires about to crash in on them, at any second. I think the 'old' Riff would have done exactly the same here.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:14 pm 
Hey Izzy, Torg himself had to stake Val! I know Izzy's in a lot of pain about Anthony, but Torg does know what it's like to stake someone you care about. Granted she doesn't know that, and Torg developed feelings for Val after she was already a vampire. Though I think is was quite hard for him not to rescue her back in the bug squisher war.

I don't think Riff's giving Torg as much credit as he deserves. Sam and Sylvia (if they can get Sylvia on their side) would be huge assets against Hereti Corp. Now Torg just might be in hero mode, hard to tell, but there are benefits to saving them. You know besides ITS SAM! And we just got him back! Sam! :sam: I can't be the only one who likes Sam!

That saying i'm kind of surprised by some of the overall negativity in the reactions. (leaving the comic!?) I don't think what Riff did was out of character at all. I don't believe Riff's ever knocked Torg out for his own 'safety' but I don't see it as a stretch, especially after the horrors he's seen in 4U city. Riff has always believed Sam should die and has actively tried to kill him and Aylee, until her vegetarian redemption arc. He begrudgingly let them live for Torg's sake, keeping an eye on them, but they never put the cast in this much danger, until now. RIght now they are surrounded by hundreds of vampires and HC. I don't think its out of character at all for Riff to knock Torg out in order to save all their lives. Plus, Riff does look kind of hopeful for Torg's sake that Sam might survive the fire.

The KO on the can was a nice touch :D I also like that Torg landed on a rice bag.

RICE! Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, Torg's gonna need it!

Argh is it monday yet!?!?!?! Don't die Sam!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 pm 
Riff: Torg doesn't know what the word "Monster" means.

Izzy: Okay, now we wait, and then burn them all.

Dat irony.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:25 pm 
TiamatRoar wrote:
Riff: Torg doesn't know what the word "Monster" means.

Izzy: Okay, now we wait, and then burn them all.

Dat irony.

No, I think you've pretty much caught Riff's meaning.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions