Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for March 14, 2016
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:15 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Do you know what the real monster is? It is Monday the Crusher of Workers' souls.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
Sat=[#51 +1 *791]
Sun=[#49 +2 *847]
Mon=[#50 -1 *888]

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:06 am 
Sigh. So yeah, Riff gets it. And we guessed right.

Quite a bond he's building with Izzy there.

I wonder if she's worried about vengeance, or simply that Urja will continue to hunt her.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:31 am 
[removed -Z]

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:04 am 
[removed -Z]

Last edited by Cow_k on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:05 am 
[removed -Z] Riff has been trying to kill Sam from the very first arc in which became a vampire. He may have grudgingly made ceasefires at times on Torg's account, but Pete has never failed to remindbus what Riff thought of Sam's very existence. So the thought that Riff would risk the lives of everyone there including Torg to save someone he doesn't believe should be alive at all is just pure wishful thinking for something completely out of character. Plus this strip practically confirms, as I thought, that if Torg had gone back for Sam, he would have been caught out there.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:22 am 
Well said by Riff. These vampires will kill so many if they are allowed to live. This is what bugs me in movies, the main character just fending off some street thugs and letting them run away. Then they'll just attack some other people instead!

How sad if Sam would die already, after only just now having come back from the dead. When was the last time we saw him? It must have been years ago he was killed by that demon.

[removed -Z]

Last edited by Silverwalker on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:28 am 
I'm with Riff on this one, I know Torg and Sam have had some good times, but Sam is first and foremost a vampire that preys on people, and I remember it being mentioned somewhere (might have been a Defender-exclusive) that Sam didn't exactly have a sterling record even when he was trying not to kill those he fed on. And the worst part about it was that he never even gave it more than a passing thought ('Oh darn, there goes my almost-perfect record' I believe was what he said). Furthermore, it wasn't tactically or strategically feasible to rescue either of them as Riff and Izzy pointed out. Tactically, it would leave the saferoom open, expose one or all of the operatives to the Vrykos when they have little anti-vampire weaponry left to defend themselves, and bring two high-value targets of their enemies (one of whom was actively hostile) to them, thus drawing enemy attention. Strategically, as Izzy pointed out, their absence would make them notice the explosives as they searched for their prey, increasing the possibility that some of them would escape.

Sadly, Sam looks to be the first main casualty of what might be the lead-in to the final battle. Regrettable? Yes. But trading him (and a hostile Vorpyr who was trying to eat them and killed and ate several regular humans shortly after waking up) for at least a third of the Vrykos within 500 miles, including an ancient vampire lord? I'm going to say Riff and Izzy made the right call. Sam regularly made things far worse for the main cast simply by being too dim to think things through (see Minions are Forever, him wrecking the Displacement vehicle, and insulting Queen Philinnon which is what led to this mess in the first place). I'd like to see him redeemed, but perhaps he can find peace in this.

Well done, Pete, you really got me to think with this plot development to try and see all the different story thread displayed with this decision, and I agree with Riff's rationale.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:20 am 
Well, the top got a scrubbing... it's for the best.

My actual reaction? I don't believe we went through all that backstory and trouble bringing Sam back for this to be the end. What Riff doesn't think about though, is if Sam survives, the damage two really angry, strong vampires could inflict and with justification now. Riff always fails to see all the angles and possible ramifications of his actions. At the very least Torg kept Sam focused on not doing the terrible things he did while he was on his own. Riff creates a lot of his own villians (or monsters in this case), Torg doesn't have that problem.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:29 am 
Riff needs to get his sense of "what is right" recalibrated. Sam IS a good loyal buddy. And also a damn fine tank who massively enhances the team's capabilities under the right circumstances. Also, I'm pretty sure his innocent kill count is trailing Riff's by a goodly amount.

Utility + morality = rescue him and off Sylvia first chance you can without alienating Sam. Grow a brain, dude. I was hoping we'd finally got over this problem of Riff's after the last time he tried to kill/dimensionally exile Aylee.

Last edited by OrzBrain on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:33 am 
Dayum. Riff with the last word on justice.

OH.

Oh right.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:39 am 
OrzBrain wrote:
Utility + morality = rescue him and off Sylvia first chance you can without alienating Sam. Grow a brain, dude. I was hoping we'd finally got over this problem of Riff's after the last time he tried to kill/dimensionally exile Aylee.
Let's be realistic: Based on how quickly the Vrykos showed up, Sam was not going to be rescued. Also, based on Sam being Sam, there's no way he'll be "alienated" if he survives. Sam is too incorrigibly Sam for that. The Sampire doesn't have grudges.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:32 pm 
If you are going to worry about incidental body counts, Ayee beats Sam by a wide margin. And do we even want to talk about Bun-Bun?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:26 pm 
If by incidental you mean not done intentionally or with malice, I would dispute that Bun-Bun has a particularly high "incidental" body count.
If you mean it's just not particularly important to the plot, then yes Bun-Bun's is probably the highest. After all, early years Aylee was at least limited by appetite and "tried" to quit.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:27 pm 
I am with torg. You don't betray a friend, no matter his stupidity. You save him. No matter the cost, you bring him back. You don't win a battle with mere acquaintances, you fight it side by side with your friends. :sam:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:18 pm 
zzzzsman wrote:
I am with torg. You don't betray a friend, no matter his stupidity. You save him. No matter the cost, you bring him back. You don't win a battle with mere acquaintances, you fight it side by side with your friends. :sam:

And if your friend insists on walking across a busy highway with their eyes closed, no matter what you say to them?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions