Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:40 pm 
yaysalt wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:
That's some ...

http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/040201
http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/040204
http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/040211

... interesting jumping.

So when/why did Pete decide that Vrykos can't fly? Was is just in this chapter?

Sometime around urja's attack on vistuvious, Pete commented something to the effect that they can't fly, they never could, they could just jump really well, and apparently that was more clear to viewers of the defender level content, but less clear in the main, free, daily comic. Was it retcon or was it a clarification?

Only his hairdresser knows!

Definitely a retcon since http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/040211 shows one flying. Though I guess it could be a really strong slow fall/weightlessness ability. REALLY strong. At that level give one something to wave while they're in the air and they CAN fly.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:19 pm 
Was it "clearer" in the defenders only content? Even the Sampire comic seems to show one floating around at one point. I'm calling it a full on retcon. The kind of stuff those early comics depict is so close to flying that for all intents and purposes it is flying.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:02 am 
garyfritz wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:
The "most powerful vampire" was mighty close to getting dusted by Vambrey with relative ease the first time we saw her. Methinks Urja may be biased in n her assessment of her Queen's abilities.

Philinnon is also very close to wiping out her entire race, all thanks to the "war" she declared because of two crass words uttered by a buffoon. Her pride and hauteur have cost her dearly.

I think it was actually because she blamed him for Grabrijan's death. But it all comes back to pride anyway, since if she'd been paying attention, she would've realized that Grabrijan was intending to usurp the throne.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:19 am 
Yeah, a lot of things are unclear. Like why Grabrijan would try to usurp someone whose death could mean his own (or how he thought/knew he could survive it) or how an all knowing Queen privy to the thoughts of her subjects could fail to know what Grabrijan was up to. It's clear Philinnon's death doesn't necessarily kill the master level vamps, but it's not entirely clear why or whether they can actually depend on survival or just hope they're strong enough. I mean, look at Helene. She "survived," but was weakened enough that she could be killed by something that wouldn't ordinarily kill a vampire.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:23 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
Philinnon is also very close to wiping out her entire race, all thanks to the "war" she declared because of two crass words uttered by a buffoon. Her pride and hauteur have cost her dearly.

I think it was actually because she blamed him for Grabrijan's death.

Hm, I thought she declared war because of Sam's "nice cans" comment on 3/7/04. Her minions took off after him, yelling "Destroy him!" (And I think that was the first time we saw Philinnon -- she was first mentioned just a few weeks earlier.)

Grabrijan didn't bite it (heh, see what I did there) until a week later in the struggle with Vambrey.

But then Philinnon said "[Arminius] was just a pawn, and secondary in my quest for revenge! The fall of Grabrijan lies at the feet of Sam." So maybe the "nice cans" comment was an insult, but Grabrijan's death was the real reason for the war. Though I'm having trouble remembering why she blames Sam, since he was nowhere near when Arminius staked Grarijan...

Quote:
But it all comes back to pride anyway, since if she'd been paying attention, she would've realized that Grabrijan was intending to usurp the throne.

He was?? He had one minion who staked some of Philinnon's minions, right after getting de-fanged, but other than that Grabrijan seemed loyal.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:29 pm 
garyfritz wrote:

But then Philinnon said "[Arminius] was just a pawn, and secondary in my quest for revenge! The fall of Grabrijan lies at the feet of Sam." So maybe the "nice cans" comment was an insult, but Grabrijan's death was the real reason for the war. Though I'm having trouble remembering why she blames Sam, since he was nowhere near when Arminius staked Grarijan...

She tells herself right there that "It makes no sense to blame Sam." Then she beheads part of herself for saying that. She. . . might have had some issues.

You know, that might be a good explanation for what's been going on with the Viking Koala vamps. Philinnon was insane, and her insanity filtered down through all the ones below her. Maybe Urja will be able to think more clearly now?

Last edited by OrzBrain on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:30 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
They've blown their wad though. Urja now has no motivation to obey them, and every motivation to protect Sam and Sylvia forever---if only to spite the murderers of her queen and blood.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:55 pm 
Well, considering she'd have one Lysinda circle vampire, she could keep Sylvia alive and kill Sam to spite them both. Remember Urja was chasing Sam before the Strakoi put her up to it.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions