Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for April 27, 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:44 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I'll see your yesterday and raise you a Wednesday.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day
Tue=[#53 +0 *1438]
Wed=[#52 +1 *1497]

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:17 am 
Yup, as I thought. Philinnon herself was the critical weakness of the Vrykolaka.

Lovely how the Strakoistrat blames her for the war. Considering all she did was allow one Strakoi to be killed -- and in exchange they killed her and most of the Vryko race. On top of trying to wipe out the final remnants of the Vorpyr. You have to wonder why they even went through the charade of a "trial" when it was clear they intended to wipe out the Vryko no matter what. Who were they performing for? Trying to convince themselves they weren't as evil as they truly are?

So the original claim of this being worse than the human world wars -- I don't think it was hyperbole. In one stroke the Strakoi eradicated essentially the entire Vryko race.

BTW I really like frame 2, her execution. But "Machates" ?? Hmm, there is a story of Machates and Philinn**i**on...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:26 am 
I very much think it's hyperbole still. Millions of humans died in the world wars. There were only "thousands" of Vrykos. That shouldn't be embellished just because it's almost "extinction" of a type of vampire. Vrykos aren't really a separate race, they're just undead humans. Most of them probably lived long past their natural lives anyway. It's not even tragic, really, let alone of the magnitude of the world wars.

Anyway, how does Urja know how many Vrykos survived? She's not connected to all of them, is she?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:34 am 
I agree with what you say. But from Urja's point of view, they ARE a separate race. Almost a separate species. In her eyes, as the narrator, it is the extinction of her race. It would be as if a world war completely wiped out the inhabitants of a particular country or every member of a religion. While there are certainly prominent examples of extensive pogroms and scourges, I don't think humankind has ever wiped out an entire race. At least not in the world wars.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:54 am 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
So -Plus Sign on Chest- Man is going to become somewhat relevant. Tt can't be a Christian Cross or a German Cross because both are Christian based even though these kinds of vampires don't get hurt by Holy Symbols. I remember two sister vampires caught Crosses but don't holy symbols hurt even a densy little bit? I mean silver and the sun hurt. Silver is considered holy because it is a pure element (I don't get it either guys) or because Judas screwed over Jesus for 12 pieces of silver, while the sun is holy because its "God's Light" (thought that might have been added later since night time = evil and bats sounds more logical).

I don't know if I can get emotionally invested in new guy though **sniff**. Between Menelaus, his cool wife, Dakshina, cool Urja assistant lady who was hard-wood floored to death... for being immortal creatures of the night most vamps can't last 4 strips.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 am 
I want to know what this "flamse" is that Urja's going to descend to. Some kind of vampiric underworld?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:04 am 
Now the question for me is;

Of these less-than-20 survivors, will each one be able to assume the same amount of power as Queen Philinon once had? Given time and effort, they could all conceivably rebuild their numbers and -assuming that their psychic link remains intact- each one could eventually create a separate fiefdom of comparable strength to the original. Many smaller pyramids instead of one great one.

Or, will one of the survivors have to 'assume direct control' and become the new hierarch of the Vrykos, with the others retaining master status? Hmm...

Then again, as endplanets pointed out; most Vrykos don't even last a full week, much less the time it'd take to turn enough vampires to rebuild the pyramid...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:35 am 
Galaxy Hunter wrote:

Of these less-than-20 survivors, will each one be able to assume the same amount of power as Queen Philinon once had? Given time and effort, they could all conceivably rebuild their numbers and -assuming that their psychic link remains intact- each one could eventually create a separate fiefdom of comparable strength to the original. Many smaller pyramids instead of one great one.

Or, will one of the survivors have to 'assume direct control' and become the new hierarch of the Vrykos, with the others retaining master status? Hmm...

Then again, as endplanets pointed out; most Vrykos don't even last a full week, much less the time it'd take to turn enough vampires to rebuild the pyramid...

Good question! Our great vampire dorks, the Strakoi, may have caused more trouble then they were expecting, especially if they still can't land in America due to Sam or Slyvia still being around.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 am 
Jade_rust wrote:
Galaxy Hunter wrote:

Good question! Our great vampire dorks, the Strakoi, may have caused more trouble then they were expecting, especially if they still can't land in America due to Sam or Slyvia still being around.

If "the plan of circles" means "separate our opponents into factions", then this could work perfectly. Each remaining Vryko master has his/her own circle instead of one giant pyramid -- and you know they'll squabble.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:24 am 
garyfritz wrote:
BTW I really like frame 2, her execution. But "Machates" ?? Hmm, there is a story of Machates and Philinn**i**on...

Wow. That was an amazing catch. I thought it was some bizarre Pete-esque sound effect, but of course that wouldn't fit the drama of this scene.

So what on earth will this mean?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:41 am 
garyfritz wrote:
Who were they performing for? Trying to convince themselves they weren't as evil as they truly are?

machiavellianism with a heavy dosage of narcissism.

In other words, @ssholery for fun and profit.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:44 pm 
endplanets wrote:
So -Plus Sign on Chest- Man is going to become somewhat relevant. Tt can't be a Christian Cross or a German Cross because both are Christian based even though these kinds of vampires don't get hurt by Holy Symbols. I remember two sister vampires caught Crosses but don't holy symbols hurt even a densy little bit? I mean silver and the sun hurt. Silver is considered holy because it is a pure element (I don't get it either guys) or because Judas screwed over Jesus for 12 pieces of silver, while the sun is holy because its "God's Light" (thought that might have been added later since night time = evil and bats sounds more logical).

I don't know if I can get emotionally invested in new guy though **sniff**. Between Menelaus, his cool wife, Dakshina, cool Urja assistant lady who was hard-wood floored to death... for being immortal creatures of the night most vamps can't last 4 strips.

Cross-guy looks to be a Templar and part of the European Resistance. I'm not sure if Vryko vampires are affected by crosses. Sam is here http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20101224 but that's Sam. It my be because he saw it in a movie.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:22 pm 
Pavod wrote:
I'm not sure if Vryko vampires are affected by crosses. Sam is here http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20101224 but that's Sam. It my be because he saw it in a movie.

http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/040212

The third panel heavily implies that Vrykolakas are not affected by holy symbols. Which leads me to wonder why Arminius would be carrying a cross at all, but maybe he just had it lying around and picked it up between panels or something.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:23 pm 
No, Vrykos are not affected by crosses. See e.g. http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20040208 -- also frame 3 of http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20040212

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:07 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
@endplanets

12 disciples; 30 pieces of silver. And, as an educated guess, I would think the properties ascribed to silver by alchemy have a lot do with its supposed effectiveness against the supernatural, rather than any religious basis.

LB :zoe:

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions