Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:21 am 
AOL: Eagle299
Personally, while I do normally prefer character growth to stagnation and the reset button, there's just something I like in knowing that Sampire will always be the boob chasing idiot we know and love. Especially given the recent fallout between Torg and Riff.

So I'm this one case, I hope Sampire never changes.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 am 
Hmmm. So let's review. In order to keep the Americas safe from it's enemies, the vampires need a leader, and Urja has to choose between two people: One is a guy who's an idiot with a huge ego, the other is a woman who is evil, manipulative, and tyrannical. Urja must choose one. We could say that she must *vote* one way or the other.

I see what ya did there, pete.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:06 am 
I laughed so hard at this, especially panel 7. Don't listen to the haters, Sam -- never change.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:00 am 
Well that didn't take long. Urja owes Sylvia double on the bet.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:03 am 
Sotanaht wrote:
Formless One wrote:
Sam has had less growth than Bert and Kiki combined, if that's somehow possible. In fact, I think he's actually gotten dumber and more annoying as time went on. :bert:

I still remember the beginning when he had actual character and Torg found him scary threatening because he thought Sam was jealous of him. What happened to that Sam?

Personally, I think I got tired of him sometime around the middle of the Minions arc, and wished he would have stayed dead after that demon ate him.

I could have sworn that the original Sam was just dull, as in uninteresting.

Anyway, I don't hate him as a side character/underling. He's a useful idiot, and would probably be pretty overpowered otherwise. On his own though, nothing but an annoyance.

Pretty much. I can deal with Sam, but it would be nice to get moving (though Urja's doing this, in whatever weird way she has planned).

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:22 am 
I don't know that Sam would be "overpowered" if he weren't stupid. He's still less powerful than Aylee in most of her forms, which seems to be objectively true considering how well she shredded all those Lysinda vampires. And if he's less powerful than Aylee, he certainly wouldn't win a fight with Bun-Bun or Oasis either. And I mean, Torg has a magic sword that can kill anything, Riff's inventions go well beyond the powers of a vampire, and Gwynn's probably more powerful than any of them. I think Sam's power level is right at home in the Sluggy cast, stupid or not.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Urja discovered that her previous theory had used incomplete data, so she logically revised it.

I really hope so. As much as I don't wish an ill-end upon Sam, Urja's logic in following Sam (and Sylvia's condoning of it, albeit under duress) is incomprehensible.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:55 pm 
My biggest chuckle for today's strip came from Sylvia's facepalm in panel 3.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:21 pm 
Why is anyone concerned about characters being "overpowered"? Its not a video game. Hereticorp and other villains are powerful enough that it doesn't matter. As long as the characters facilitate interesting story telling, I'm fine with them.

Sam does not do this. Sam has become as annoying as Nelix on Voyager, and more often than not more of a liability than a useful idiot. And the jokes he facilitates have gotten downright dull, repetitive, and predictable. And its not as if his previous death would have allowed the Strakoi into the new world, because at that point Pete hadn't introduced the Strakoi into the story. And lastly, his presence actually makes Torg look bad, because it makes Torg look completely self-centered and irresponsible for putting his friendship with the dangerous idiot above his oldest friend.

Sorry, but this story arc gets on my nerves in more ways than one. To me, Sam is emblematic of the problem with it, though. I don't care about the new vampire characters, but I do care about them taking over the story due to a single member of the main cast acting like a dolt, and its a member of the main cast who just got depressingly annoying a long time ago.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:59 pm 
Dodger77 wrote:
Well *I* laughed.

Ditto. Looks like Sylvia wins the spec points for the week.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
I am so glad I didn't look ahead and the last panel caught me by surprise. I was thinking, "Wow, Urja's really dedicated to whatever scheme she has going here." and then came the CAVEAT of doom. BWAHAHAHA

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:10 pm 
Formless One wrote:
Sam has had less growth than Bert and Kiki combined, if that's somehow possible. In fact, I think he's actually gotten dumber and more annoying as time went on.

Flanderization is the word you're looking for. Sam has been hit with it hard. To a lesser extent I think Kiki has also been hit, and perhaps Gwynn. Torg, Riff and Zoe on the other hand have gone in the opposite direction, getting more complex and nuanced.

yaysalt wrote:
Hmmm. So let's review. In order to keep the Americas safe from it's enemies, the vampires need a leader, and Urja has to choose between two people: One is a guy who's an idiot with a huge ego, the other is a woman who is evil, manipulative, and tyrannical. Urja must choose one. We could say that she must *vote* one way or the other.

I see what ya did there, pete.

. . . Hahahaha! That's terrific!

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:52 pm 
TVTropes has a term for everything, but I refuse to use that lingo. And not just because I hate TVTropes for promoting thought-terminating cliches to amateur writers. Only 'Tropers know what it means, and linking someone to that site is asking for their productivity to shoot through the floor for the rest of the day. Besides which, there is rarely a time where that site has an idea that can be described no other way.

Edit: by the way, since you brought up Gwynn, I don't think she has been effected by all this so much as she simply wasn't utilized in a story arc for several years ...which is one of the reasons I disliked "Minions." Then she was used in a story arc set so far in the past that there was no way for her to really act herself, because she is very dependent on her friends even if she is somewhat selfish. Actually, Riff managed to backslide for a while with regards to his love life, and that did also annoy me. Fortunately, there is always more to Riff than just women. Same cannot be said about Sam. :sam:

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:29 pm 
I think some of you people have simply never known someone with Sam's personality IRL. Those sorts of people don't learn from their mistakes, or grow. They remain that way their whole lives, trust me. If your problem with him is poor characterization, in this circumstance I must recommend you direct your complaints at god :p

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:00 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
If your problem with him is poor characterization, in this circumstance I must recommend you direct your complaints at god :p

Isn't that what we're doing?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions