Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for May 5, 2016
 Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:34 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Thursday sees that its good twin was here yesterday messing things up, as usual. I would say it is about as 'smart as a box of rocks', but that would be insulting the rocks.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day
Wed=[#67 +6 *168]
Thu=[#63 +4 *234]

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:09 am 
Just what is Urja's game here? This is super crazy. I'm not sure even believe she has a plan at all anymore. For now, I'm going to assume she just staked him to vent her frustration.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:17 am 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
There was a story I vaguely remember reading in elementary school about phrasing.
Back in Medieval Europe there was the God of Good Luck and a God of Bad luck and they decided to watch a poor young cobbler or something. They made a bet that a decade of good luck can be undone by a single second of bad luck. The Good Luck God had the Princesses carriage break down in front of the Cobbler who fixes it so the Cobbler goes to the castle. The Good Luck God does tons of stuff like that and the Cobbler becomes incredibly famous and respected.
One day the King falls ill and the only thing that can save his life is milk from a lion. The Cobbler goes out on a huge journey and after a big fight manages to befriend the lion and get a bottle of lion milk. He returns to the king and says “here is the lion’s milk you need to survive” but the Bad Luck God steps in and forces him to say “here is the DOG’S milk”. The King flips his poop believing that the Cobbler is mocking him and his super fatal disease. He kicks him out of the castle right away, has all of his stuff burned and cancels the wedding between the Cobbler and the Princess.

My point is that Sam is kinda like the Cobbler. He had/currently has incredible power and respect but it can all be lost with a few poor word choices. “Nice Cans” Sam here appears to have talked himself to disdain and misfortune.

< For those that want to know the Good Luck God lost the bet but still felt bad for the Cobbler and (along with the Princess who loved the Cobbler and the fact that the Cobbler is a smart guy) get more lion milk, get back in the castle and calm down the King by saying “I, um, called it a dog because a lion is as a dog to a king as, um, super badass as you my lord.”. The king buys it, takes his meds and survives and everyone lives happily ever after except for the Bad Luck God who is still miserable because he being a jerk made him self-destructive and unhappy even though he won the bet. >

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
I'm just wondering if it's being a vampire that makes Sam immune to personal growth in a series that seems teeming with it otherwise. I like Sam usually, but it's starting to get very old.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:26 am 
Celadon wrote:
I'm just wondering if it's being a vampire that makes Sam immune to personal growth in a series that seems teeming with it otherwise. I like Sam usually, but it's starting to get very old.

Agreed. Sam acts stupid and stares at boobs in contrived situations, over, and over, and over, and over... Maybe being staked by Urja's going to be the new running gag.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:35 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Well *I* laughed.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:44 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Urja discovered that her previous theory had used incomplete data, so she logically revised it.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:52 am 
Celadon wrote:

I must agree; Sam's incredible stupidity makes it hard to like him. Ruining every moment, acting like a kid, never noticing in the slightest what effect he has on other people.

Oh well, it's just one character. Let's hope he remains staked.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:06 am 
Oh man, I needed that laugh today.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Just what is Urja's game here? This is super crazy. I'm not sure even believe she has a plan at all anymore. For now, I'm going to assume she just staked him to vent her frustration.

Urja's game is currently to lose that bet she made with Sylvia in the previous comic :p
Personally, I can't believe Sam finally got someone to acknowledge his ridiculous vampire circle. It took most of the comic, but finally the mamajama is legit!

side note: "Steak and Shrivel" sounds to me like the original failed marketing campaign of Steak n Shake.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:32 am 
Wow, I laughed at this one stupid hard. It's nice to know that in the Sluggy-verse where everything else seems turned on its head, some things never change.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:41 am 
Don't worry, she does this all the time.

Here's hoping she shoves him back into the saferoom and goes off with Sylvia to rebuild. Like she should've in the first place.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:08 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
Celadon wrote:

I must agree; Sam's incredible stupidity makes it hard to like him. Ruining every moment, acting like a kid, never noticing in the slightest what effect he has on other people.

Oh well, it's just one character. Let's hope he remains staked.

All the upvotes.

Could this have been Urja's plan all along? Useful idiot at the top, with her as some sort of vampire queen regent. (I wanted to theorise something like this yesterday but I was afraid it would have been spec).

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:21 am 
Sam has had less growth than Bert and Kiki combined, if that's somehow possible. In fact, I think he's actually gotten dumber and more annoying as time went on. :bert:

I still remember the beginning when he had actual character and Torg found him scary threatening because he thought Sam was jealous of him. What happened to that Sam?

Personally, I think I got tired of him sometime around the middle of the Minions arc, and wished he would have stayed dead after that demon ate him.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:15 am 
Formless One wrote:
Sam has had less growth than Bert and Kiki combined, if that's somehow possible. In fact, I think he's actually gotten dumber and more annoying as time went on. :bert:

I still remember the beginning when he had actual character and Torg found him scary threatening because he thought Sam was jealous of him. What happened to that Sam?

Personally, I think I got tired of him sometime around the middle of the Minions arc, and wished he would have stayed dead after that demon ate him.

I could have sworn that the original Sam was just dull, as in uninteresting.

Anyway, I don't hate him as a side character/underling. He's a useful idiot, and would probably be pretty overpowered otherwise. On his own though, nothing but an annoyance.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions