Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:57 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
She didn't start sewing immediately. I think that's a good sign.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:22 pm 
Why is Torg afraid that Oasis has arrived? Wasn't this the core of his plan?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:32 pm 
RamenChef wrote:
Why is Torg afraid that Oasis has arrived? Wasn't this the core of his plan?

It's a last resort desperate plan with low chance of success.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:31 pm 
I see I wasn't the first to read this strip and think "CLIFFHANGER!" :pun:

or the second...

or the third...

or the fourth...

or the fifth...

this line actually says something completely different! Congrats for finding it!

[please don't use micro-sizes -G]

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:35 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
Eagle299 wrote:
So, how long has it been since these two have met? I've quite lost track.

Torg proposed to Oasis in Feb-2002.

Torg last saw Oasis in July-2002.

It has been 15 years. :oasis: :torg:

I just read through the last 15 years, starting last August, it doesn't seem that long for me (6 months), but wow, that is a long time!
They've been on each other's mind a significant amount of the duration though!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 pm 
kitoba wrote:
this line actually says something completely different! Congrats for finding it!

Give me your first born

[Please don't use micro-sizes -G]

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:46 am 
gregnier wrote:

Brick joke?

Thom Solo wrote:
"WOH-PAH!" came first. That was the earliest link I could find in NiftySearch. :)

I thought WOH-PAH was a reference to Mortal Kombat dialog or something like that? In your ref Torg was doing a Mortal-Kombat-style of fighting, but I thought he was *quoting* Mortal Kombat. Did Pete invent WOH-PAH ??

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:05 am 
garyfritz wrote:

Brick joke*.

Chaz slicing lunchmeat.

*TVTropes link; do not click

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:02 am 
kitoba wrote:
I see I wasn't the first to read this strip and think "CLIFFHANGER!" :pun:

or the second…

or the third…

or the fourth…

or the fifth…

Yeah, that's basically what everyone thought after seeing this strip.

Actually, it's what I thought before seeing this strip, but I forgot to post it in SRC :sam:

RamenChef wrote:
*TVTropes link; do not click

More accurately, click at your own risk. If TVTropes has already ruined your life it won't easily ruin it further.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:57 am 
Psshhh. TVTropes is nothing compared to Sluggy. I occasionally end up 3 or 4 clicks deep in TVTropes -- but I routinely follow one of Pete's links and come up for air 3 or 4 hours later...

(Tnx for the clue-in, RamenChef)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:19 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
Thom Solo wrote:
"WOH-PAH!" came first. That was the earliest link I could find in NiftySearch. :)

I thought WOH-PAH was a reference to Mortal Kombat dialog or something like that? In your ref Torg was doing a Mortal-Kombat-style of fighting, but I thought he was *quoting* Mortal Kombat. Did Pete invent WOH-PAH ??

I never got an answer on this, and it's really been bugging me for a while. Was WOH-PAH a Pete original (maybe a nod to MK's style but not an actual quote), or was he quoting Mortal Kombat? It's definitely part of the Niftyverse, but it feels like it has broader exposure than that. But The Google doesn't know about it outside Sluggydom, soo...

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
Thom Solo wrote:

I never got an answer on this, and it's really been bugging me for a while. Was WOH-PAH a Pete original (maybe a nod to MK's style but not an actual quote), or was he quoting Mortal Kombat? It's definitely part of the Niftyverse, but it feels like it has broader exposure than that. But The Google doesn't know about it outside Sluggydom, soo...

Really? Because I found two answers with Google that make sense. The first one is a bit of a stretch, but it (the answer) pre-dates Pete (or rather, it pre-dates Sluggy...):
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521130048AASUdou

The second one makes even more sense and fits the context:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=woh-pah

You might try to argue that the second one is missing the first "h" and therefore does not count - however, given Pete's spelling abilities.... (said with affection!!). However, we still don't know origin (other than Pete likely was not first - although the Unoriginal Comic blames Sluggy.....)

So we should be clear as mud now, right?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:45 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Really? Because I found two answers with Google that make sense. The first one is a bit of a stretch, but it (the answer) pre-dates Pete (or rather, it pre-dates Sluggy...):

?? That's from 9 years ago, roughly 2008. Pete's first use of WOH-PAH was in 2001.

So all those references you listed are years after the fact. As far as I can tell, Pete's use is still the first. Torg says he's going to do a "Street Kombat" battle, but apparently Pete made up the sound effects to make fun of the genre. Like he did with "Your fighting style smells of GORGONZOLA!!"

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:13 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
swmartian wrote:

?? That's from 9 years ago, roughly 2008. Pete's first use of WOH-PAH was in 2001.

So all those references you listed are years after the fact. As far as I can tell, Pete's use is still the first. Torg says he's going to do a "Street Kombat" battle, but apparently Pete made up the sound effects to make fun of the genre. Like he did with "Your fighting style smells of GORGONZOLA!!"

I didn't mean actual post date of the response. Although, I have to admit that I thought "Friends" was older than it apparently is. Nonetheless, Chandler has been doing "wuh-pah" or "wo-pah" or "wah-pah" or however you want to spell it since at least April 1998 (air date, not date when the episode was shot).

I concede that I can find no other references to "WO-PAH" still posted prior to 2003, however.

And I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from Pete - some of his sound effects are truly unique and hilarious. I'm just not feeling that this is one of the "unique to Pete" ones.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:49 am 
Ahh, I gotcha. From 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9hmg9eVkI

So the sound is similar. But the application is totally different. I think we have to give Pete full credit for that one. :-)

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions