Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for March 9, 2017
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Thursday discovered why the vicious biped wanted the Oasis all to itself. It had come to this spot in the desert to give birth to adorable twins. While the mother stood guard, its offspring instinctively buried themselves in the sand near the Oasis.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
Wed=[#132 +5 *310]
Thu=[#132 +0 *360]

NCoID™169

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 am 
One time she was attacked with a powdery cloud that managed to hold her off, I think. Maybe it was nanobots that made her fall asleep or something.

Anyway, I HOPE Riff remembers past fights, and remembers how Harbinger fought mechs in 4U City, so that he has come up with something new and unexpected this time. Those bots digging down into the ground...?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:56 am 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
This chick doesn't dig giant robots. BAD OASIS.
You did giant robots.
We dig giant robots.
Chick get giant robots!
Get with the program.

Also, all Torg has to do is give Oasis a hug and BOOM, problem solved. Granted it didn't work against Aylee when Torg gave her a hug. And Riff probably would have shot if Sam was there.... man, Riff just hates so many of Torg's friends. And Torg is friends with a lot of weirdos.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:33 am 
Well, that's significant. She just said no. To Torg. Without mental turmoil.

Good.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:21 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
One time she was attacked with a powdery cloud that managed to hold her off, I think. Maybe it was nanobots that made her fall asleep or something.

The sleep chaff is depicted. It looks like little ninja stars.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 am 
Backup plan: ask Riff to stand down.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:29 am 
Kesandru wrote:
Well, that's significant. She just said no. To Torg. Without mental turmoil.

Good.

Hmmm...Significant indeed.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:37 am 
endplanets wrote:

Also, all Torg has to do is give Oasis a hug and BOOM, problem solved. Granted it didn't work against Aylee when Torg gave her a hug. And Riff probably would have shot if Sam was there.... man, Riff just hates so many of Torg's friends. And Torg is friends with a lot of weirdos.

You're right--I'd been thinking of Riff's reactions to them them all individually, but yes, Riff does hate them...or maybe not exactly hates them, but thinks of them as monsters (an alien, a vampire, a "crazy chick" who can come back to life).

The world seems variably black-and-white to Torg, I'd say. Good and Bad, but those in the categories can change.
His friends are his friends, once qualified as such. Or those once under his protection (friend or not) are forever under his protection.

To Riff, however, it seems monsters are Monsters, yet he is aware of Torg's perspective and thus tortured (maybe too strong a word) by the choices he feels are right to make because he knows Torg won't understand.

Kind of thinking out loud there, but today's strip prompted it.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:48 am 
RamenChef wrote:
Backup plan: ask Riff to stand down.

That worked REALLY well with Sam last time...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:02 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
To Riff, however, it seems monsters are Monsters, yet he is aware of Torg's perspective and thus tortured (maybe too strong a word) by the choices he feels are right to make because he knows Torg won't understand.

And Riff doesn't like to think about it too deeply because he knows he is one of the monsters Torg is friends with. The Mad Scientist who threatens the safety of the world with his inventions, as has been pointed out time and again. Of all the dangerous monsters Torg somehow becomes friends with (alien, phoenix assassin, possessed witch, god-bunny, vampire, demon, AI with delusions of grandeur, mad scientist), he's the one ultimately responsible for their current predicament.

Thinking about it... is Zoe the only one of Torg's friends that Riff doesn't want to destroy?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:16 pm 
GlyphGryph wrote:
Thinking about it… is Zoë the only one of Torg's friends that Riff doesn't want to destroy?

More like "the only one of Torg's friends that Riff has never wanted to destroy", but yep. He's also overlooking some other characters that are less debatably threats, namely, Zoë's mom.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:40 pm 
GlyphGryph wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:

And Riff doesn't like to think about it too deeply because he knows he is one of the monsters Torg is friends with. The Mad Scientist who threatens the safety of the world with his inventions... he's the one ultimately responsible for their current predicament.

Well said! That is an angle I hadn't thought about. And maybe the only one self-aware of that fact? I mean, he's seen what he's done (In 4-U City), but is still somehow can't stop himself from walking those lines...still trying to be the Mad Scientist who threatens the safety of the world (with the best intentions).

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:44 pm 
GlyphGryph wrote:
AI with delusions of grandeur,

Which character is this? I have no idea whom you're referring to.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:44 pm 
RamenChef wrote:
GlyphGryph wrote:

I was wondering as well...I feel like I should know, but can't bring it to the forefront of my mind

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:20 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
RamenChef wrote:
GlyphGryph wrote:

I was wondering as well...I feel like I should know, but can't bring it to the forefront of my mind

Thirded.

And this is a great bunch of character analysis.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions