Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject: Strip for August 3, 2017
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:59 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Thursday did some very, very, rough calculations:

Using a lot of approximations, IF the digbots are successful in cutting all of the supports, the base would hit the bottom of the shaft --assuming it really is 1 mile--in about 18 seconds and hitting at a speed of 397 mph (639 km/h).

Of course that is also under the assumption that it won't hit the sides too much on the way down.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
Wed=[#161 -- *24]
Thu=[#146 +15 *60]

NCoIDâ„¢22

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 am 
Well, looks like I underestimated Torg.....

As many do.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:59 am 
Holy Schniekeys.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:05 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Using a lot of approximations, IF the digbots are successful in cutting all of the supports, the base would hit the bottom of the shaft --assuming it really is 1 mile--in about 18 seconds and hitting at a speed of 397 mph (639 km/h).

Of course that is also under the assumption that it won't hit the sides too much on the way down.

My approximation was 640 km/h. Of course, neither of us is factoring in air resistance. The base is also going to crumble as it falls so it's anyone's guess what the impact velocity will actually be. The whole process would definitely take more than 18 seconds. And it would be spectacular.

Given all that, today's background music is The Hardest Part by Blondie.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
slightlylooney wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

My approximation was 640 km/h. Of course, neither of us is factoring in air resistance. The base is also going to crumble as it falls so it's anyone's guess what the impact velocity will actually be. The whole process would definitely take more than 18 seconds. And it would be spectacular.
Actually I did figure in air resistance, but it didn't make much of a difference no matter what I used. It's too damn big in relation to how far it's falling.

Did some other figuring with it hitting the sides and came up with 25 seconds with an impact speed of 492 km/h (320mph). Oh and just for fun, terminal velocity would be up to mach 2 (if it was a bottomless shaft).

No matter what it is, yes indeed, it will be spectacular...and fatal.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:49 am 
Oh wow! Tog you genius! I cant believe I just said that!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:47 am 
As always, Gravity is a Harsh Mistress.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 am 
AOL: Eagle299
Now we know what Torg was doing earlier. Not trying to provoke. He was trying to get through to Schlock so that he wouldn't have to do this.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:46 am 
Plan F! Fooosh!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am 
Oh man, I want to see tomorrow's comic so much. This should be monumental.

Chen and Kusari are getting away. Well arranged by Pete, as they both have things to do, and mysteries to reveal.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 am 
Another day that calls for a Dun dun dun!

Chen and Kusari are "on it" hmmm.

Zillatain wrote:
slightlylooney wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

Actually I did figure in air resistance, but it didn't make much of a difference no matter what I used. It's too damn big in relation to how far it's falling.

Did some other figuring with it hitting the sides and came up with 25 seconds with an impact speed of 492 km/h (320mph). Oh and just for fun, terminal velocity would be up to mach 2 (if it was a bottomless shaft).

No matter what it is, yes indeed, it will be spectacular...and fatal.

Yay science!

Dragma wrote:
Well, looks like I underestimated Torg.....

As many do.

His goofiness is a distraction to all

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 am 
The digbots aren't incompetent any more.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 am 
Eagle299 wrote:
Now we know what Torg was doing earlier. Not trying to provoke. He was trying to get through to Schlock so that he wouldn't have to do this.

I thought the same thing. Torg started to say how what digbots do best is dig, and they have dug and dug...under the base. He was warning Schlock, trying to get out of this without so much damage and bloodshed.

But Schlock, being panicky and narrowly-focused, only did what he thought he had to do to secure Oasis and save himself. He was ignoring Torg just like he almost forgot to give the 'fire at will' order after Oasis was dead.

Dangit, Schlock.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:23 am 
Awesome niftyness!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:38 am 
Terminal velocity depends on mass. Air resistance depends on the dimension of the falling object. What are your assumptions? Regardless, this doesn't do anything about those flying mechs. Torg's hardly out of danger.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions