Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:29 am 
SotiCoto wrote:
Doesn't Kusari mean "chain" or something like that in Japanese?

Andrew Ryan wrote:
I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky. But there is something more powerful than each of us, a combination of our efforts, a Great Chain ... that unites us. But it is only when we struggle in our own interest that the chain pulls society in the right direction. The chain is too powerful and too mysterious for any government to guide. Any man who tells you different either has his hand in your pocket, or a pistol to your neck.

Of course, I don't expect a game that came out 10 years too late to really have affected the story, and what Ryan said doesn't really apply I guess, but wouldn't it be awesome if it did?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 pm 
Location: hmmm....Park Place.....Boardwalk....ah, here we are, "Go". Where's my $200?
GeminiGod wrote:
There's more to it than that. Kusari is somebody we've met before, and who knows the gang. Otherwise, WHY should she be ashamed of what's under the mask?

I've ruled out Sasha, Crystal, and Gwynn, as well as Zoë and Min for good measure. Plenty of strips showing both Kusari and each of those characters simultaneously. Unless, of course, we believe that Kusari is a clone of one of those character, in which case all bets are off. Also, if she were a clone, I'd go with Sasha.

The only female characters I've managed to come across so far that MIGHT fit the bill without cloning is Kimmy Sue Hasenpfeffer or Dr. Lorna. And even then...oy.

At any rate, I'm gonna keep digging into the archives until I figure out WHO she is.

What about Kada from Ocean's Unmoving? She is probably from the future (as opposed to an alt-dimension), since to my knowledge Timeless Space is still within home-dimension. She would certainly be recognized by Bun Bun, since he's been there twice so far. Anyways, is it possible that OU might be about more then a sliver of Bun Bun's past? Think about the story, and about how much of it really matters concerning his past.

Sure, it's possible that OU is the ONLY story Pete wrote that is completely self contained with no other connections to main characters whatsoever..... .....yeah, right.

Also,Riff mentions the wave-form aparatus that he and/or Jenny built. Somehow Kada gets it in the far future (unless the multi-verse of dimentions are ALL connected to Timeless space, which might make sense due to space-time being a single continuum, thus any non-time would also be non-dimensional...) and it turns out to be a map of timeless space. However, Riff does specifically call it interdimensional.

Aaaaanyways, my point is that OU might be more linked to Sluggy general than meets the eye.

Well, okay, I admit it's possible that OU was an entirely different (and very cool) story that Pete just wanted to tell, and decided to fit it into the Sluggy mythos. It might just be there for fun and possible movie deals, but at the same time I wouldn't put it past Pete to bring it up again. The mere reason that it is almost completely unrelated from the main story and characters sort of sets it up for being very important further down the road. Taking an example from Chapter 52: Aylee, Pete tricked us into thinking that President K. Andrews (Kesandru) had something to do with the gouls, when really it turned out to be aliens of the same species as Aylee.

Therefore, I put forth the completely unnacceptable and out-of-the-blue suggestion that Kusari is in-fact Kada, just because it doesn't make any sort of sense at all :kiki:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:43 pm 
Sorry if this has been brought up before... I think I may have found a gaping flaw in the new model theory and in connection the whole group of Oasis is a ghost theories. It has to do with Kesandru house. Now we know Oasis never got to visit the house, so the house wards would never have been tested on her. However, we did see Kusari visit the house on October 30, 2001 and she didn't get trapped inside. We know that the undead such as Sam (dead body living soul) were stuck inside the house, as were people possessed by ghosts like Angela was by Beth on December 27 2001 (living body dead soul). My theory is, that kusari cannot have a ghost trapped inside because the house wards would have detected it and trapped her inside. If the New Model theory is correct, then either she is an earlier model without the ghost, or then Oasis cannot be a ghost in physical form.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:54 pm 
Kitsu wrote:
Sorry if this has been brought up before... I think I may have found a gaping flaw in the new model theory and in connection the whole group of Oasis is a ghost theories. It has to do with Kesandru house. Now we know Oasis never got to visit the house, so the house wards would never have been tested on her. However, we did see Kusari visit the house on October 30, 2001 and she didn't get trapped inside. We know that the undead such as Sam (dead body living soul) were stuck inside the house, as were people possessed by ghosts like Angela was by Beth on December 27 2001 (living body dead soul). My theory is, that kusari cannot have a ghost trapped inside because the house wards would have detected it and trapped her inside. If the New Model theory is correct, then either she is an earlier model without the ghost, or then Oasis cannot be a ghost in physical form.

Beth can well be thinking of being freed the way ghosts normally are (and besides, you mean November), and Creepser says Sam's spirit is dead, but point taken. I kind of noticed this at an earlier point. It certainly seems like Oasis and Kusari aren't undead but reincarnated. It's like Orsintos came up with a way to go beyond undeath. They could still have started with ghosts in that design. Really, this just draws attention to the fact that the two are clearly alive, so the connection with research of undead is even more of a questionmark. Note that everyone living technically has their "ghost" inside them, but it's not dead yet so the house wards don't affect it. So apparently, if there's some ghost-tech in Oasis and Kusari, they're only ghostly while dead or something.

This does pretty much destroy Oasis's own theory in the exact form she put it, which is something of an advancement.

Hmm... what if they were already beings that could reincarnate, and Orsintos was studying Oasis because of that, not to alter her? Or Kusari is a copy even in that respect, but Oasis was like that to begin with?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:28 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
I'm leaning toward the "Kusari and Oasis are the Moon and Sun Twins" camp. My guess is that they are two halves of one whole entity. So the wards in Kesandru House couldn't hold Kusari for one or both of two reasons. One, Oasis wasn't there, so the complete being wasn't in the house. Two, Kusari is essentially part of a goddess; I doubt that the wards would bother her any more than cobwebs would. Heck, she might not even have noticed them.

On a different subject... Does anyone remember when Riff's father found the Book of E-Ville? I was sure there was a reference to it somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. I was just thinking that the Book was found at about the same time that Oasis (and Kusari?) became instantiated on the Mortal plane. If so, that's a pretty creepy coincidence -- if it is a coincidence...

--tll

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46 am 
I didn't think the Book of E-Ville had any other origin than being found in Riff's attic.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:29 am 
You may be right. But I was sure that Riff mentioned that his father had found it. Oh well...

--tll

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:35 pm 
A strange discrepancy... Dr. Steve intended to rule the world, but said Oasis had nothing to do with that and that he had to start small. (ref) But Hereti-Corp sees Oasis as something major, maybe even world-conquering. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe Dr. Steve didn't know what he had in his hands.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:53 pm 
I'd be willing to bet that Dr. Steve knew better than Hereti-Corp. HC has all the preliminary information about Oasis, which Dr. Steve would also have. But Dr. Steve had years of time to experiment with Oasis after he left HC, and would have had a better understanding of what Oasis was capable of. So now Hereti-Corp is working from limited, and possibly flawed, data. The whole thing may be a big mistake. (Now wouldn't that be a let-down! :kiki:)

--tll

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 pm 
a new (and scienciey) theory: resurrection through wave-form function reinforcement.

Ok, this may get kinda sciency but here goes...

Everything can be described as a SIN wave (pronounced like sign.) from the simplest of particles, to the universe itself. Even people. Now that the function is known, it is possible to reinforce or project that wave-form onto anything, even empty air, or a vacuum. It would take lots of energy but it’s possible. This would create an exact duplicate of the original object, right down to the placement of individual atoms. In oasis’ case, her wave-form function would probably have been taken regularly at Dr. Steve’s’ lab, so she would show up in her armour / assassin’s gear. This process of duplication is triggered by oasis’ death.

Consciousness transfer would occur as soon as the new body is complete, because it is her body, and the soul seeks the body as soon as it can. This is shown with Gwynn and k’s’k, in the bug squishier wars saga. Fuzzy memories can be attributed to stress in combat, and the shock of dieing, then coming back to life.
The supernatural element fits in there somewhere, probably as a power source for the wave-form function re-enforcer device. The device itself would not have to be big, about the size of a golf ball. And to head off the EMP argument, it is possible and even likely given the level of technology this would require that the circuitry uses light, instead of electricity, making the EMP useless because there is nothing to induce a current across. The difference between oasis and kusari is that oasis’ device is very small and implanted, running off an internal power source, kusari’s is external, and probably very large, requiring the kind of power only available at hereti-corp facilities.

Balthazar T. Black
-defying death anyway possible.-

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm 
VVK wrote:
A strange discrepancy... Dr. Steve intended to rule the world, but said Oasis had nothing to do with that and that he had to start small. (ref) But Hereti-Corp sees Oasis as something major, maybe even world-conquering. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe Dr. Steve didn't know what he had in his hands.

Or maybe Dr. Steve was still playing mind games. He'd just said he wasn't going to spill his mater plan. And shortly after that we discovered that he was using Torg to test out Oasis' programming. There's no reason to believe he was telling the truth about Oasis not being something small. We know he told a lot of lies about Oasis. The only thing Dr. Steve said that I actually believe is what he said when he was honestly scared about the lab blowing up, "She is a controlled mind made human." Of course that might have been a lie also since he lied a LOT.

I'm more inclined to believe Hereti-Corp since, although they are an evil organization, they don't usually lie to themselves.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:47 am 
There was speculation earlier about how Kusari could be some character we know otherwise. I never believed that, because I can pretty much see she's shaped like Oasis and not anyone else under that suit. But considering a couple of other threads of speculation... about Oasis possessing new bodies and even taking some of the attributes of the former owners, and about Kusari being a succession of different persons... combining those all, it seems vaguely possible Kusari - maybe just the current one - is an incompletely altered version of someone otherwise known. That could explain the mask too, and the dialogue in this comic. http://sluggy.com/daily.php?date=081204

I'm not sure this idea has any credibility, though, since a) I can't think who she would possibly be as that person would need to have vanished and b) Kusari seems to have Oasis's chin and cheeks as well, and I don't see how she could have some third person's face without having the same shape of skull.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:35 pm 
I've got a modification to the Ghostly Collective Theory, which I'll repost here from another topic: What Pete seems to be setting her up as is a former child-medium, taken away from her parents at a very early age, possibly infancy, renamed "Project Oasis", and filled with an enormous amount of ghosts, each of the ghosts having had a non-sentient bit of K'Z'K or other demon(s) attached to them. This explains why, though her persona never changes, her unconcious personality shifts, and why she never really dies. She was hard to control, so eventually she was junked along with all the other bRoken projects, but Steven Hereti found her, started her Torg obsession, and... well, you know the rest. Kusari is version 2.0.
Has The K'Z'K/demon bit ever been thought of before?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:41 am 
I'm a subscriber to the "weaponized ghost" theory, but not in such a general fashion. She's definitely not a normal human, as is already shown that we all agree on. The question is, how far do we take the idea? Obviously its much deeper than any of us really realize. What are the connections? What are the hidden clues? There's a lot to look at.

Lets start with Steve Hereti. When we first met Oasis and Dr. Steve, Steve was putting Oasis through some rigorous training and speaking commands into his watch, which she immediately obeyed, and very literally. We see Torg speculating about brainwashing or robotics, which Oasis seems to confirm in her story to Torg during the "escape" and both of which the computer that Bun Bun and Kiki find is pretty substantial evidence of due to the fact that it seems to be what's controlling her response to Steve's commands, however Steve later mentions that Oasis was told to "feed into whatever [Torg] said." Bun Bun tries to reprogram the computer only to have Kiki botch it and activate the base's self destruct mechanism, but not before Bun Bun manages to shut down the connection between Steve's voice and Oasis leaving Oasis stuck in "giddy schoolgirl madly in love with Torg" mode. In this vein Steve reminds us of the typical nerdy scientist who is out to avenge a perceived wrong (in this case being ousted as Chairman of Hereti-Corp) by developing a super weapon to carry out his revenge, but dies before he can finish the project. We later see that Steve implanted hidden clues in Oasis psyche which are programmed to surface at certain times along her journey to understand herself, which shows that Steve was a master of understanding the brain and how it works, so mind control remains a very prevalent and plausible theory.

Now lets take a look at the Orsintos group. They bare a striking resemblance to the Schutzstaffel, better known as the S.S. or Hitler's Stormtroopers, of Nazi Germany in their experiments with the occult, paranormal and living dead (led by Heinrich Himmler), far too much of a resemblance to ignore. We don't know all that much about the Orsintos group as of yet, only what was presented in the "Research Center of Evil" subplot of Phoenix Rising and the "Zombie Fun Lab" subplot of the current bROKEN storyline, but my immediate thoughts were of the S.S. Reanimated tissue (zombies) and weaponized ghosts were major parts of their experiments. My thought is that the names "Orsintos" and "ROKEN" somehow tie into those experiments by the S.S. but I have not been able to make any connection so far. Oasis was part of the experiments of the Orsintos group, as evidenced by the files contained on the computers there, but we don't know any further details. Its pretty obvious that Oasis is not a zombie, so the weaponized ghost theory holds the most water here. This is where all the questions start to arise that have already been asked in this thread: is Oasis a single ghost or a collective? Does she regenerate her body or does she possess a new one every time she dies? Why does she retain her memories of her "previous life" but suddenly have different "personalities?" I'll get to these questions later.

Next we'll take a look at Hereti-Corp. Its fairly obvious to me that Dr. Steve had the blueprints for Oasis long before he was forced out, which is why hC retains records of "The Oasis Project" and already knows about it before Riff ever reports it. This is evidenced by Schlock in the second panel of this comic, Riff just set off the flags. I just don't think Steve had a subject to conduct his experiments on when he was still in charge of hC, and hC now wants Oasis because he was able to complete the project much further than they were able to. It is with hC in the picture that we start to see what Steve was able to do with the "Override B-1" anytime she sees an hC employee. The "Override B-1" appears to be triggered anytime she sees the company logo and/or knows that someone is an employee of hC, which explains why she let Riff and the other employees go in this comic and in the last few comics in which "Camp Counselor" Dan and Agent Cordo didn't appear to be working for hC because they weren't wearing any visible sign of it and they didn't tell her that they did. The "Override B-1" command may or may not be a key aspect to who Oasis actually is, but I don't think we have enough information to make that call yet.

Now we go to Kusari. Kusari is obviously Oasis rebuilt (better?). Kusari doesn't have the issues that Oasis has every time she's reborn (for lack of better term) with a somewhat fuzzy memory and suddenly "different" personality. Kusari hints at her and Oasis being related, even blatantly calling them sisters, but that has never been developed further. Does Kusari mean blood sisters, or sisters in the sense that they were both produced from the same experiments? They're obviously very similar in fighting styles and weapons expertise, but Kusari is more controlled, probably due to more specific programming; Kusari is around for one purpose, whereas Oasis seems to be more independent and able to make her own decisions within the overarching framework of "giddy as a schoolgirl and in love with Torg."

Now lets look at Oasis herself, starting with her personality. When we were first introduced to her she was, as I said previously, undergoing training from Dr. Steve and after some fortunate (or unfortunate?) interference from Bun Bun was stuck in the "giddy as a schoolgirl and in love with Torg" persona. We didn't learn much else before she was caught in the lab's explosion. When next we see her she's suddenly jumped into Torg's arms and is kissing him, then placing her foot squarely into Zoe's eye before running off to the Poconos to elope with Torg against his will. Its at this time that we see her as the "psycho jealous do-anything-to-keep-Torg-to-herself" type of person, even going so far as to destroy the resort when she finds Torg's short love note to Zoe and flies into a jealous rage. She also is very hostile to Riff and Kiki when they show up because she thinks they're taking Torg away until Riff says he's the best man for the wedding. It is here that we see Gwynn expose her affinity for black magic and plant a piece of tree through Oasis' gut and where Torg sees that Oasis is not a robot, throwing his feelings into more conflict. After this we come to the "date" with Sasha where Oasis shows back up but is more collected and doesn't fly into the jealous rages that she did before. Oasis also seems more rational here until hC crashes the party and we are introduced to "Override B-1" but are given no further details. After her death from self-inflicted wounds and food poisoning from rummaging in the dumpster and then eating Sparky's prototype sushi burger she's next found as emo Oasis in "Fire and Rain." Here we see her cutting her arms, dying her hair and carrying on conversations with "God" whom we know is actually Kusari all in response to her jealousy and hurt over the perceived fact that Torg loves Zoe and not her. This arc gets a little out of character in that Oasis doesn't actually die here, but instead gets put into an asylum where Torg finds her and tells her that "she's the woman he loves" and asks her to marry him. Her personality suddenly changes because now she knows that Torg loves her, not Zoe. She stays in the asylum until we see her next in the "Dangerous Days" storyline after Riff busts her out to help him destroy out Ayleeorgnet.com, kill clone Aylee and rescue Torg, Bert, Gwynn and Sasha. Here we see Oasis die once again, and the next time we see her is in "Phoenix Rising" where she decides to go off to find herself before finding Torg again and meets Feng and the Zalias. This is the first time we see Oasis actually trying to find out more about herself instead of just trying to go find Torg and make him hers by any means necessary. Oasis also dies again here, but for the first time her personality doesn't seem to shift in extremes like it did before and is much more consistent. All of that brings us to the current storyline and we find Oasis is still the same personality that we left her at the end of "Phoenix Rising."

My thoughts on her personality are that she's never different people, she's Oasis and no one else, but that every time she dies another piece of the puzzle that is her gets unlocked and pushed to the forefront. She started with only being able to be who Dr. Steve told her to be, but since his death she has changed from that to the jealous girlfriend, to the more deliberately jealous girlfriend, to the crazy psycho emo stalker, to the happy in love, to the introspective and in control woman we see her as now. I feel that at this point she is able to control her base emotions of jealousy, love, envy, want and hate to be able to go out and discover who she really is. The fact that it took four deaths for Dr. Steve's implanted memories to resurface only confirms this for me.

Now its time to look at her deaths and rebirths themselves. In her first death she's inside the lab when it explodes. We don't actually see her in the lab, so we just go by what's implied. At this point we obviously have no idea that Oasis is going to start coming back, but we think that she's going to be a primary character or personality going forward. Because of this we're surprised but not overly shocked when she shows up kissing Torg on his date with Zoe just after the "Love Potion II" arc. Fast forward to her death at Gwynn's hands and we actually see Oasis with the tree through her gut and falling into the forest below. Torg is upset because he now knows she's not a robot and his previous brainwashing theory seems much more credible. We couldn't possibly see her come back could we? Well Riff lets us know that its not out of the question with his "questionable death scene with no corpse left behind" line. However its at this point that we see that Oasis is actually vulnerable and can die. Fast forward again a bit and we see her show up again at Torg and Sasha's "date." This time we get to actually see her fight, and we again see she's vulnerable from those self-inflicted knife wounds, but yet it takes her a long time to die. We see her admitted to the hospital where Torg tells us that Oasis is actually human but has the most powerful immune system and healing factor anyone's ever seen. So we understand how she doesn't scar, but that still leaves the question of how does she keep coming back from the dead. Now we mostly skip "Fire and Rain" because she doesn't actually die here, however we see when she goes in for the kill on Zoe that she suddenly sees that she doesn't have a scar on her stomach from the tree which shatters her self image enough to allow the authorities to actually take her to the asylum where Torg makes his "I love you, will you marry me?" speech. Fast forward once again into "Dangerous Days" and this is where Oasis dies next after Riff busts her out of the asylum, this time by clone Aylee and again with a hole through her stomach. Her rebirth after this isn't until "Phoenix Rising," which is where we see her try to make sense of things instead of acting on emotion. It is also the first time we get to witness her death and rebirth within the same story arc. After Oasis is killed by Nash, he stashes her in the back seat and drives off to kill the sheriff. Soon we find Oasis is back and although we expected it, its way too quick. Nash is also obviously shaken by it. It isn't until a few weeks later in this comic that we find out that there is still a body in the back seat of that car. So how did Oasis come back to life? At one point here Oasis points out that she saw Nash point a gun at Katie, which she shouldn't have been able to see because she'd already been shot in the head and should be dead. So how did she see it? Obviously she was still alive at the time, but how? In the same comic, Nash rhetorically asks "are you some kind of ghost?" to which in the next panel we see the Orsintos labs logo. Interesting segue, and that death-rebirth is the last one we have to this point.

So all the death and rebirths lead to what? Obviously Oasis is vulnerable at any given time but she comes back to life. How? Here's where the weaponized ghost theory comes in. You can kill the mortal body that the ghost possesses, but you can't kill the ghost. Is it that Oasis switches bodies when she dies? Its possible, especially when you consider that every time Oasis has died except one there has been a fairly significant population around, of which there were a lot of freshly dead people (Poconos resort, hospital, Ayleeorgnet.com headquarters, the car with Lupae Indahead's body in the trunk). The one time there wasn't was when she first died in the lab explosion, but that may have been more due to Pete not planning to go much further with her at the time he wrote that comic (and since had to revise it on the fly). This leads to the next possibility, which is that Oasis regenerates her previous body after dying. However we look at the "Phoenix Rising" death and rebirth and see that Lupae's body is still in the trunk in the 11/24/06 comic linked above, but there's an unknown body in the back seat. Who's body is this? Is it Oasis'? No because she's alive again. Obviously if there's a body back there, and we know that Oasis' body was back there before her rebirth, is it the body she possessed after she died at Ayleeorgnet.com or is it a freshly dead body she put in her place to cover herself, or is it really her and the spirit inside her is able to regain that mortal form? All are possible, but none are confirmable.

So all of that leads to my theory: Oasis is a weaponized ghost, or other supernatural spirit, but is only one ghost, not a collective. She also does not move from body to body, otherwise there would be more reference to some news story about bodies missing from all those other places, but is able to reform her mortal form in some other manner though I have yet to come up with a sound theory on this one. She is either the result of some residual spiritual and paranormal activity after the Orsintos labs are destroyed, perhaps one of those ghosts or spirits found its way to her when that picture outside the Orsintos facility was taken, or the direct result of the experiments that took place there. She still retains her real personality, meaning that Oasis is Oasis, but she is influenced by the spirit within her and more and more of the real Oasis is unlocked every time she dies, new emotions, intelligence, social aspects and mental checks against her emotions.

I've pretty much worn out my brain for tonight, so I'm going to end this here for now. I will be back to make additions or revisions to my thoughts, as well as any discussions, agreements or rebukes anyone has. My overall post may have some holes and make some fairly big jumps, but I wrote this as I thought it so I'm expecting it lol.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:35 am 
A couple of things that came to mind from the above, and sorry this is such a stream-of-reasoning. Oasis remembers Dr. Steve experimenting on mind control on her (wherever that was said), so apparently that is not part of her essence or making, as for example it would have been in the case if she were a robot like Torg thought near the beginning. And from what Riff got from the Orsintos files, she was paranormal before Orsintos got her; Orsintos seemed to research more than design anything, based on that exposition. So we appear to have an Oasis that was apparently ghost-related and paranormal before being brought to Orsintos, that was a deadly pencil-thrower after being taken away from there, and that was made mind-controlled by Dr. Steve. At what point did she become each of the things besides the last? It kind of seems like she was Oasis as we know her know (except mind-controlled) right from the start and Orsintos just picked her up but didn't do anything to her. Was she naturally what she was, or created by some party like hC before Orsintos? Was she otherwise paranormal before Orsintos? It doesn't seem to fit at this point that Orsintos could have created a deadly little proto-assassin of her. I suppose Dr. Steve is responsible for the martial arts training she got, but she was a natural even back at the orphanage, and according to Riff's theory before, if she really killed people at Orsintos.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat