Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:30 pm 
Hmm, creates a new body, dumps the old one. The old one ends up resembling somebody and nobody...

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:51 pm 
I suspect Kusari looks exactly like Oasis and feels diminished because of it. Kind of a sibling rivalry sort of thing. Hence the mask.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 pm 
Did anyone consider Monica yet? we know she's in on the whole Meander/ k'z'k cult thing. in that last comic before Torg Potter 4, we see her figure and she looks kind of athletic. maybe i'm reading into it too much. she has been left out and forgotten for a bit. [edit] after today's comic i'm really leaning towards monica. she's overly worried about Shlock leaving Riff and everyone out of it all. and she knows what Riff would do.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 am 
Sockmonkey wrote:
I suspect Kusari looks exactly like Oasis and feels diminished because of it. Kind of a sibling rivalry sort of thing. Hence the mask.

That's my read on it, too.
Particularly when considering Pete's "at least one redheaded assassin" comment several weeks ago. :oasis:

-Mr. "This is supposed to be the slow period at work, dammit!" Jest

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:08 am 
WLM: [email protected]
I'm probably late to the party here, but I don't see any mention of this...

Note the current chapter is capitalized bROKEN. Note too the wall with ROKEN on it is itself broken, just before the beginning of the name.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:40 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Roken is also the alleged last name of Oasis, given to us by a crazed man who dropped her off at an orphanage. Don't forget that. Oh, and I'm too lazy to look up the strip, but it is there I am not crazy mr sock lop go boom nyah nyah nyah

Shika kahn... Shika kahn...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:05 pm 
VVK wrote:
I also can't think of anyone ever who would have behaved like Kusari. The closest match is probably Bun-bun. Or Basphomy. Hmm, there's some physical resemblance there, too, but I dout it's significant.

If we hadn't seen Basphomy in the flesh (such as it is) during Holiday Wars, I'd think there was more to the resemblance, with holiday deity Basphomy possessing a body or something to create Kusari.

Since Bun Bun interacted directly with Basphomy, I think that's less likely, even if she is now freed from the Obsidian Cage, or whatever it was called.

More and more, the possession ideas appeal to me, especially if it turns out Kusari is one of the main cast or someone who has lived with them.

I think Pete is intentionally messing with us by hinting at both Sasha and Gwynn lately, and I think it will turn out to be whichever of those two is not the one he hints at most.

My dark horse nominee is still Min, but that's extremely unlikely.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:43 am 
Okay, so this is a pretty big stretch, but here goes nothing.

I've been playing around with anagrams lately (I blame cabin fever from being snowed in) and I found a few humorous variations on 'Roken.'

As we've seen, Kusari is an anagram of Ikarus. That's usually spelled with a 'c' in English; applying the c/k switch to 'Roken' gets 'Rocen.' Shift the letters around and you get 'recon.' Hehe. You also get 'crone.' Admittedly, 'rocen' would probably be pronounced with a soft 's' sound, but still interesting.

Also, yet another anagram of 'roken' is 'nekro.' Rather fitting for a young lady who might be a weaponized ghost, yes?

...if I squint hard enough, I can see epileptic trees everywhere in Sluggy. :torg:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:11 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
epileptic trees?

I got it!
Oasis is an epileptic tree! it all makes sense now

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:12 am 
By the way, that was post number 20,000 on this forum. Just thought I'd mention.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm 
I am not sure that this has been mentioned, but I noticed that no matter what, after death, Oasis comes back wearing the same armored suit (at least I assume it is armor)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:10 am 
How about this one? hC Needs Kusari just as much as they need Oasis, but they already have her; they need them both to be both halves of something or other. It has certainly been noted previously that their qualities where they differ are opposite, and so maybe complementary. This would also fit in a less-than-the-most-obvious way with the idea that "the differences are paramount".

The two halves of what, then? Conjoined Sun/Moon Twins? Dr. Steve's full design of... something? I couldn't say at this point, but to make it so worth pursuing, some kind of a full potential unleashed would make sense.

However, this idea contradicts with the notion that Kusari is "made in Oasis's image and improved". Maybe that's just all she knows. But I must say I have formed a fairly consistent picture where Kusari is hC's attempt at making Oasis 2.0 but lacking some key power which in the case of Oasis has yet to manifest. Dr. Steve seems to have had designs for the her to realise it on her own, too, and certainly not with hC. Fitting Kusari into that is difficult, unless she already existed as somehow different (but still altered by Dr. Steve or Orsintos) before being recruited into unquestioning loyalty for hC. Or maybe Oasis was supposed to get both halves of whatever (in this case, probably some supernatural being) into herself in time, but hC captured one in Kusari, and now the situation is as described at the beginning of this post. But this way it would make the statement about the differences being paramount inaccurate and unlikely, since it would not be actual qualities of the two but their having some essence that matters.

There's also a mention of "the Kusari Project," which could suggest she's separate, such as their own improved yet incomplete version of Oasis meant only for what she's already doing, although the fact that they've "recovered the project" when Kusari already exists and has not to our knowledge been killed in the meantime seemingly hints at something more still. http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=020824

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:01 am 
The name Orsintos seems a little too random to actually BE random. Has anyone come up with a good rationale for the name? Maybe a clever anagram that I'm not seeing?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 am 
LadySilver wrote:
As we've seen, Kusari is an anagram of Ikarus. That's usually spelled with a 'c' in English; applying the c/k switch to 'Roken' gets 'Rocen.' Shift the letters around and you get 'recon.' Hehe. You also get 'crone.' Admittedly, 'rocen' would probably be pronounced with a soft 's' sound, but still interesting.

Doesn't Kusari mean "chain" or something like that in Japanese?
As in "Kusari-Gama" ... a rather popular Ninja weapon which consists of a sickle with a chain on the handle (and a weight on the end of the chain, for entangling enemies and pulling them in for the kill).... and funnily enough, she wields two unchained kamas..... but altogether, she IS the chain that links them together, so the weapon is complete, so to speak.

Kajin wrote:
Roken is also the alleged last name of Oasis, given to us by a crazed man who dropped her off at an orphanage. Don't forget that. Oh, and I'm too lazy to look up the strip, but it is there I am not crazy mr sock lop go boom nyah nyah nyah.

I'd bet money on the nutter just -assuming- it was her surname because it was written above her in the photo and he was a few screwdrivers short of a toolbox.

uglyface2 wrote:
The name Orsintos seems a little too random to actually BE random. Has anyone come up with a good rationale for the name? Maybe a clever anagram that I'm not seeing?

Torsions
In Torsos

In Roosts
Ion Sorts
Iron Toss
Iron Sots
Rosin Sot
Irons Sot
Rosins To
Intros So
Intro Sos
Ions Tors
Ions Rots
Ions Sort
Sin Roots
Sin Roost
Sin Torso
Ins Roots
Ins Roost
Ins Torso
Sins Root
Torsi Son
Torsi Nos
Trios Son
Trios Nos
Riots Son
Riots Nos
Tiros Son
Tiros Nos
Trio Sons
Riot Sons
Tiro Sons
Sir Snoot
Sirs Onto
Stir Soon
I No Sorts
I On Sorts
I Nor Toss
I Nor Sots
I Snort So
I Torn Sos
I Son Tors
I Son Rots
I Son Sort
I Nos Tors
I Nos Rots
I Nos Sort
I Sons Tor
I Sons Rot
I Sons Ort
I Snots Or
In Or Toss
In Or Sots
In Tors So
In Rots So
In Sort So
In Tor Sos
In Rot Sos
In Ort Sos
Sin Or Sot
Sin Tor So
Sin Rot So
Sin Ort So
Ins Or Sot
Ins Tor So
Ins Rot So
Ins Ort So
Sins Or To
Tins Or So
Snit Or So
Nits Or So
Tin Or Sos
Nit Or Sos
Sir No Sot
Sir On Sot
Sir Son To
Sir Nos To
Sir Not So
Sir Ton So
Sirs No To
Sirs On To
Stir No So
Stir On So
Is No Tors
Is No Rots
Is No Sort
Is On Tors
Is On Rots
Is On Sort
Is Nor Sot
Is Torn So
Is Son Tor
Is Son Rot
Is Son Ort
Is Nos Tor
Is Nos Rot
Is Nos Ort
Is Tons Or
Is Snot Or
Sis No Tor
Sis No Rot
Sis No Ort
Sis On Tor
Sis On Rot
Sis On Ort
Sis Nor To
Sis Not Or
Sis Ton Or
Sits No Or
Sits On Or
Tis Nor So
Tis Son Or
Tis Nos Or
Its Nor So
Its Son Or
Its Nos Or
Sit Nor So
Sit Son Or
Sit Nos Or
Ti Nor Sos
Ti Sons Or
It Nor Sos
It Sons Or

I've bolded any that seem even remotely meaningful in context... and redded the one I thought most likely.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 am 
SotiCoto wrote:
Doesn't Kusari mean "chain" or something like that in Japanese?
As in "Kusari-Gama" ... a rather popular Ninja weapon which consists of a sickle with a chain on the handle (and a weight on the end of the chain, for entangling enemies and pulling them in for the kill).... and funnily enough, she wields two unchained kamas..... but altogether, she IS the chain that links them together, so the weapon is complete, so to speak.

They have retractable chains, so they are kusari-gamas.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat