Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 am 
I've seen the speculation that the twins were Oasis and Kusari long ago and I really liked it, because Oasis and Kusari do look like mirror images with a kind of fire-cold dynamic between them.

Now that we're actually seeing one of the twins - Rana, the "sun" one, not that it should matter which one - I am trying to see whether she looks like Oasis underneath all the trimmings. You know, the way Pete draws faces and even bodies so uniquely that given enough different views of the same character you can tell whether they look the same as someone else even under a mask, as with Kusari looking exactly the same shape as Oasis.

And my verdict so far is that Rana does look rather like Oasis. So far. Probably. The second-to-last panel today certainly shows the kind of anime-ish face shape she has, and Rana's body looks about the right shape. Also note the large eyes.

Of course she looks different with different hair and clothes and so forth, but I suspect that's just why Pete thinks he can hide it in plain sight.

As for what happened to create Oasis and Kusari as we know them, I have little idea even if this is true. Not enough information yet.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:08 am 
Her face doesn't seem quite as short/angular as Oasis. Nevertheless, there are some ressemblences, and the next day's transition between the sun-like glowing halo and her darker real hair looks ALOT like Oasis after dying her hair in Fire and Rain. The temper/impetuousness would fit too.
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/130912

Rana, on the other hand definately appears the cooler of the two, though still prone to distraction over gadgets. Of course Kusari is controlled by Hereticorp, so its not clear how much of her personality- save her wicked wry humor- might have been surpressed. Rana shows appreciation for Gywnn's barbs about the Krig, one of her superiors- a nice echo of Kusari's relationship to Schlock.

Of course, its not clear if Oasis and Kusari are the original two women, possibly reincarnations of the two sisters. Perhaps they were even slain, by two little girls (twins) who by accident, or some evil plan were there to claim their powers by Rite of Caste (as it seems almost certain now that the most poweful of the Holidays inherited the powers of the gods, Santa from Krig somehow). Schlock's ominous comments about "you should be ashamed of what lies beneath that mask" suggests at least one of them is something terrible.

We DO know Oasis was once a little girl, so if there is a connection the demi-goddesses must have lost their original bodies somehow.

Another interesting detail today (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/weekly/130923) is the comments about "no unauthorized life inside the fate web... IT JUST MAKES A TANGLE OF EVERYTHING." Since we know Oasis is "one of the few things that operates outside the web," she must have been an abomination which, somehow broke this rule. The TANGLE reference is an obvious link to the Fate-Tangle Oasis, Hereticorp and K'Z'K represent in the future.

An interesting thought to consider is if, aside from Kronus (who existed before the current Fate Web), any of the Gods/Demigods predate this Spark. This could also affect their relationship to the Fate Web. Of all the gods we know Krig belonged to a barbarous tribe that SOUNDS like its human, so from this Spark. (though could it be neanderthal?). Bun Bun also has a mother. (Previously I thought this could only make a Bun Bun a demigod, but Krig confirms full gods have arisen from mortal tribes. The fact Bun Bun and Santa (who I suspect is not Krig but a later, Christian saint claiming his power by Caste) were both mortal in their origins is interesting.

We just confirmed Uncle Time is also Uncle Fate. As he governs Timeless Space, and the loss of the Timeless Space Shell and the Fate Web coincided in the Dimension of Rain, his link to both is now quite solid. Though why we only see Kronus, not him talking to the Fate Spiders in the present is interesting.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 am 
By now, I'd say the resemblance is completely solid. Dunuloa's facial outlines look just right to me.

I also gave some thought to personalities and, well, Oasis and Kusari both are rather lacking in any. I mean, what personalities they have seem built around an initial lack of a personality. Oasis is an impulsive child and Kusari an emotionless machine, though both are working their way up from there slowly. So if they had prior personalities, those would apparently have been wiped away somehow, so it doesn't matter too much what they were like.

Well, we have Oasis having been a child and Queen Siphaniana looking like a preincarnation of Gwynn. Maybe Bun-bun isn't quite Sluggy either. Maybe several characters have counterparts like that in both times for some reason. This almost looks like an alternative dimension as much as the past.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
Nifty Admin of Doom
Nifty Admin of Doom
My theory is that Dunaloa MADE Oasis. Like the goose that lays the eggs.
Maybe a 'wonderful synthetic', or maybe she broke the rules and made LIFE.
'No unauthorized life inside the web, it makes a tangle of everything' says Uncle Time.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:06 pm 
Interesting points. The question of how gods from a prior spark manifest after an End remains unknown- and since Pete strongly suggested in Gwynn and Kron's discussion that there WAS in fact an End that destroyed Mokudun, it seems possible all of the prior deities were transformed somehow, perhaps losing some memories or powers, or changing their roles under the will/influece of Prozoaka (how active He is in this time also remains unkown- the Condiment Saga suggested he and Kronus, at least are tight, but whether that continued into future Sparks is unknown. Evidentally all the gods are using certain divine magic and following rules regarding life that sound like they were established by Prozoaka).

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 am 
OK, after Friday's strip (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/131025) I'm going to have a go at adding to the spec.

What if Kronus' plan to save his family doesn't involve saving their lives, but instead giving them the ability to resurrect some time after they are killed? Possibly removing them from the web in the process?

If Oasis is actually one of his daughters, that would explain why she is referred to as being "outside" the web - either because she was removed from the web by Kronus, or because she was actually from a previous spark? And hopefully the former, because the latter assumes that everyone is going to die >_<

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:07 am 
I think this is a good time to point out that our "Moon Twins" continued doing their little experiments in creating synthetic life, subsequent to all this Mohkadun business, as recounted by The Pumpkin King. We don't yet know the fate of Krohnus' half-god family, as the whole thing with KZK's first coming hasn't been resolved, but it's a fairly safe bet that at least those two survive

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:17 pm 
Just a weird idea that recently surfaced, but let's throw in some Oasis-data before:
- Badass fighting skills
- Does not stay dead (respawns later)
- Executes orders from someone else (the late dr.Steve)
- Total dedication towards her goals (marrying Torg, killing hC goons et cetera)
- Peculiar (and attractive) appearance

Now, I left the brain of mine roam on those data (logged out, logged back in), and the answer looked so simple and obvious: Oasis is a video game character.
Yep, think of it for a moment.
Not convinced yet?
The theory is not totally absurd (in sluggy context), since we've already seen videogame-world and sluggy-prime-world overlap:
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/970827
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/19981227
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20010204
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20111221
Another proof of the validity of my thesis is that, since it rises more new questions than answers, it fits perfectly in sluggy narration's style.
This crazy theory totally deserves a descriptive artwork, kind of like Mega Man 2 start screen whit an 8-bit oasis on top of the skyscraper (hair in the wind is a must!). Is anyone artistic-minded up to the challenge? ;)
Let the constructive criticism begin! :bunbun:
PS. If anyone else already came up with this idea I apologise, but I couldn't find it with the forum's built-in search engine.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:16 am 
I don't know if this has been talked about before - I'm sure it has - but on a recent archive search, I stumbled across the Fire And Rain page that re-intros Oasis:
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/020119

At the time, it was taken for granted that Oasis was talking to god because she was crazy. She sure acted crazy, and we know that killing her can induce these craziness issues. But now it's been established that there are ACTUAL gods. Not only that, but there are a pair of gods above them, and an all-powerful god above them. And Oasis shares features of the gods: she exists outside the fate web and she can't be killed - though she's not a god herself, that certainly makes her a decent candidate for a god to talk to her.

So what if that wasn't her being nutso on that page? Okay, Kusari is obviously manipulating her here, and mistaking Kusari-behind-a-wall for god is totally insane. But! It suggests she was spoken to before Kusari started exploiting this - the implication is that she was spoken to by imaginary voices. But maybe the voice that spoke to her previously WAS, in fact, god? What if Oasis was given a divine command, which is sitting inert in her brain the way Kzk sat inert in Gwynn's?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 am 
Location: Fort Merritt, Santa Cruz Fleet Base, Santa Cruz System
Here's my UTOPIA (Unified Theory of Oasis' Place, Identity, and Abilities)

Origin: Oasis was a result of an accident in Dr. Steve's lab, which released the godling Rana into the real world again. She possessed a newborn child, but after being weakened after millenia of slumber, she is subordinate to her host. Steve knew something had happened, so he tracked Oasis down at the orphanage, probably after finding out about the destruction of an Orsintos lab by her. Then he begins a brainwashing/training curriculum, including a) gymnastics, b) finding out that she's immortal and pyrokinetic (pet peeve- it should be psychopyretic), and c) all those assassin skills.

Powers:
Immortality: When Oasis is brain-dead, her host mind stops overwhelming Rana. Rana is therefore able to exercise her godly powers to regenerate her host body, saving herself as well as Oasis.
Pyrokinesis: When Oasis loses control, especially while angry/psycho, she again stops overwhelming Rana. However, her anger goads Rana into lashing out. Rana therefore creates fire which is directed at whatever is causing her host anger or pain.
Other unusual abilities: Explained by Steve's training. We've never seen her exercise superhuman strength or speed, just abilities that any highly trained human could do.

Overrides:
B-1: Explained by Dr. Steve's brainwashing, a "revenge" protocol he put in to get back at Hereti-Corp
"Torgy": In part, Dr. Steve's brainwashing. However, could also be somewhat explained by Rana. Perhaps Rana finds out that Gwynn is connected to Torg somehow (if there's any way so far, please respond with it), and if she doesn't like being stuck inside a mortal host, she might be reinforcing the "Torgy" override in order to find Gwynn and ask her for help.

Kusari:
Dunaloa, the Moon Twin, was similarly trapped by Steve's experiment. Differences between Oasis and Kusari are explained by this. For instance, Oasis' near-instant regeneration and pyrokinesis reflect Rana's proclivity for using magic openly, while Dunaloa's more technical, less open-magic personality explain Kusari's unemotionality and slow regeneration.

Oasis vs. Chaz: (PS. I think this is the most likely end for this character)
Option 1: Since Oasis is possessed by Rana, I would hazard a guess that, in the event of Chaz cutting Oasis, two things would happen. First, Oasis could power Chaz, because she is brainwashed and therefore not responsible. When not acting under brainwash psychosis, she is fairly responsible and a force for good (see Phoenix Rising, the only time she hasn't been acting under overrides or their side effects). Second, she'd lose her ability to regenerate and pyrokinesis, because Chaz would kill Rana. So the wound would have to be non-fatal, or she'd die anyways. But if it was just a scratch, say, she'd probably live, although there might be other side effects.
Option 2: Chaz "frees souls. Surgically." So he'd cut Oasis/Rana loose from their body. Zoe is spiritless (see Kesandru's Well), so... I'm seeing a suddenly epic assassin pyrokinetic Zoe. That could be really cool.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm 
SheVa Nine wrote:
Here's my UTOPIA (Unified Theory of Oasis' Place, Identity, and Abilities)

Origin: Oasis was a result of an accident in Dr. Steve's lab, which released the godling Rana into the real world again. She possessed a newborn child, but after being weakened after millenia of slumber, she is subordinate to her host. Steve knew something had happened, so he tracked Oasis down at the orphanage, probably after finding out about the destruction of an Orsintos lab by her. Then he begins a brainwashing/training curriculum, including a) gymnastics, b) finding out that she's immortal and pyrokinetic (pet peeve- it should be psychopyretic), and c) all those assassin skills.

Powers:
Immortality: When Oasis is brain-dead, her host mind stops overwhelming Rana. Rana is therefore able to exercise her godly powers to regenerate her host body, saving herself as well as Oasis.
Pyrokinesis: When Oasis loses control, especially while angry/psycho, she again stops overwhelming Rana. However, her anger goads Rana into lashing out. Rana therefore creates fire which is directed at whatever is causing her host anger or pain.
Other unusual abilities: Explained by Steve's training. We've never seen her exercise superhuman strength or speed, just abilities that any highly trained human could do.

Overrides:
B-1: Explained by Dr. Steve's brainwashing, a "revenge" protocol he put in to get back at Hereti-Corp
"Torgy": In part, Dr. Steve's brainwashing. However, could also be somewhat explained by Rana. Perhaps Rana finds out that Gwynn is connected to Torg somehow (if there's any way so far, please respond with it), and if she doesn't like being stuck inside a mortal host, she might be reinforcing the "Torgy" override in order to find Gwynn and ask her for help.

Kusari:
Dunaloa, the Moon Twin, was similarly trapped by Steve's experiment. Differences between Oasis and Kusari are explained by this. For instance, Oasis' near-instant regeneration and pyrokinesis reflect Rana's proclivity for using magic openly, while Dunaloa's more technical, less open-magic personality explain Kusari's unemotionality and slow regeneration.

Oasis vs. Chaz: (PS. I think this is the most likely end for this character)
Option 1: Since Oasis is possessed by Rana, I would hazard a guess that, in the event of Chaz cutting Oasis, two things would happen. First, Oasis could power Chaz, because she is brainwashed and therefore not responsible. When not acting under brainwash psychosis, she is fairly responsible and a force for good (see Phoenix Rising, the only time she hasn't been acting under overrides or their side effects). Second, she'd lose her ability to regenerate and pyrokinesis, because Chaz would kill Rana. So the wound would have to be non-fatal, or she'd die anyways. But if it was just a scratch, say, she'd probably live, although there might be other side effects.
Option 2: Chaz "frees souls. Surgically." So he'd cut Oasis/Rana loose from their body. Zoe is spiritless (see Kesandru's Well), so... I'm seeing a suddenly epic assassin pyrokinetic Zoe. That could be really cool.

There's some flaws. I think it's been shown that when Oasis dies, she definitely leaves a body behind and pops up somewhere else later. Kusari has *definitely* died and left behind a body.

And a powered Chaz kills with even a scratch - see Agent Shadow.

For all we know, the link between Rana, Dunaloa, Dr. Steve and Oasis is that somehow Dr. Steve got his hands on Dunaloa's notes and continued her experiments on humans.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 am 
I'm mostly inclined to agree with Sheva. Although I feel like Kusari is just a little too different from Oasis, abilities-wise, for her to simply have Dunuloa's soul the way Oasis might have Rana's. Kusari's "resurrections", after all, are explicitly clones made by HC - in that sense she doesn't necessarily have to have any god blood at all, just ninja skills and whatever the shared memory thing is - which could be entirely fueled by the ghost science they specialized in at Orsintos. Oasis, on the other hand, gains a new body from scratch each time she dies, along with the ninja skills and shared memory thing + Psi Fire Gamma. That feels godly to me. Or at least, it feels like Kusari is the mad science attempt at copying Oasis' not-so-sciencey abilities. Plus, Oasis mirrors Rana re: fierce loyalty, more spiritual, link to fire, etc. Meanwhile Kusari doesn't act like Dunuloa very much at all.

Sasha does, though. For what that's worth.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:48 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Sasha does, though. For what that's worth.

Dude. Now that's interesting. If the Oasis/Rana link also holds up it would even explain some of Sasha's motivations for working with HC. As well as her fixation with Zoe's necklace way back when she was first introduced: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20010106

Something went wrong with Rana's part in the plan thousands of years ago. Sasha is Dunuloa. And everything she's done is because she wants her sister back.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:53 am 
Okay - this gets even better. If the above is true then consider for a moment the following two strips:
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/010130
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20140306

Siphaniana. Rana. Dunuloa.
Gwynn. Oasis. Sasha.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:48 am 
Location: Fort Merritt, Santa Cruz Fleet Base, Santa Cruz System
Quote:
There's some flaws. I think it's been shown that when Oasis dies, she definitely leaves a body behind and pops up somewhere else later. Kusari has *definitely* died and left behind a body.

And a powered Chaz kills with even a scratch - see Agent Shadow.

For all we know, the link between Rana, Dunaloa, Dr. Steve and Oasis is that somehow Dr. Steve got his hands on Dunaloa's notes and continued her experiments on humans.

Oops, :sam: I was writing that off the top of my head and without my UTOPIA files. Sorry. My revised theory after that part of Phoenix Rising was that Rana (note: pre-Mokhadun, my notes said the Sun Twin) or Dunaloa creates an entire new host body in the event of catastrophic host damage (which supports theory 2 of Chaz/Oasis- zoasis). Thanks for the catch on that. My point on the Chaz-killing-Rana thing is that Chaz, in his own words, says that he "frees souls, surgically." My theory is a bit less valid after Chaz kills that demon/girl, but I still think that a more powerful being (like Rana) might have some sort of buffering effect for her host. I don't know for sure. We have in fact seen something extremely powerful survive contact with Chaz - the Demon Prince of Shadows in the DoP. He lived on at least long enough for him to depose Horribus and elevate Psyk into Psykosis, and we've never seen evidence that he died. I think that we can assume that the Moon/Sun twin might be powerful enough to at least buffer her host, or, failing that, to keep their spirits separated... after all, they aren't demons. Still, we don't really know for sure, and won't. That's why it's speculation, not debate of facts.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat