Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:29 am 
Now that I think about it, Kada does kind of look like Sasha, and she has Riff's skill set. You might be onto something.
Anyone know Riffington's last name?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Im too lazy to make the link ( I might later if Im not beaten to it.)
but Kada is not related to riff. Her last name is Jansen, Riff's assistant, who wasnt very helpful in the assisting department, ebay'd an item called an 'apparatus', to some guy named 'jansen,' which looked suspiciously like a larger clunkier version of the thing kada 'jansen' calls an apparatus. My spec goes that The only relation riff has to kada is that one of her ancestors bought riff's apparatus and the family perfected it until kada's boss used it to create the entire teknokan project. So in a way, riff is responsible for the entire oceans unmoving saga.

My spec pointing out your spec that the only way riff is related to kada seems to have produced its own entire topic... Anyone ever think of this before?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:38 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Just to be unecessarily argumentative: Sasha could've married a guy named Jansen. She could have been Sasha Jansen all along, and the guy who bought the apparatus was her father or brother. Or maybe she was the Jansen who bought the apparatus... If Riff's assisstant only dealt with her online, she might not have realized she was dealing with a girl, depending on how she paid for her purchase. For that matter, Riff's last name could be Jansen, and the assistant could have sold the apparatus to Riff's father, who bought it thinking it would be a great birthday gift for Riff and then forgot to give it to him (or possibly blasted himself into alternate-Timeless Space with it*). Truthfully, I don't think we enough to say anything about Kada's relationship to the main cast with any certainty, although I had assumed from the general level of tech in her "home" spacetime locus that she was from at least thirty or forty years in the future, and so was probably two or three generations younger than Riff and Sasha, which opens the possibility of an intermediate ancestor who married a Jansen.

Another possibility is that Kada is/was another H-C freelancer, albeit one more closely tied to the company than Riff was, which might make the "neckties" Roberts, Daedalus, Frog, et all. Although I personally find that one unlikely

I think I'm getting to emotionally invested in this line of spec.

*Although I haven't seen him here anywhere... *looks over shoulder*[/i]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:07 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
1.) *sniff* After cleaning crap out of SRC and having to be the big bad this morning, This discussion reaffirms my faith in you sluggites.

2.) Seriously, the Mr. Rogers pedophilia tangent ends now. And as I think about it, I Will go delete those posts. Thank you.

3.) Kaijin, Alt-Calix, if the Torg's parentage line continues I WILL have to split it from this discussion. *hint* *wink* *nudge* (i.e. if either one of you want to save me the trouble and start it yourself, It'll make me Mr. Happy Fun Mod.)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:40 am 
Alt-Calix wrote:
Cappycap wrote:
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Torg's parents were Kada and Calix.

I can conclusively state that I am not one of Torg's parents. ;)

Unless Torg was making up the part about his grandfather being in a traveling Dixie band ("when he played in an insane asylum, the crowd went nuts"), I have some doubts about Calix and Kada being his Viking parents.

Post subject: Zoe was born in 1979
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:45 am 
Mith the Godling wrote:
Well, in order to do a proper look over of each character, we first need to know their age.
[...]
I would also put Zoe at 19 at the beginning of the comic, although she could be 18. This explains Zoe's own mentality. We know by later comics that she left her former university (or did she just not go to it?), and apparently she the main reason behind her moving so far away was to get away from her mother. I would guess that Zoe herself is either 18, and moved away from her mother after she found out that life was just to constricting in her hometown, and that not even college could help, or 19, and moved away after a year of that crap.

http://sluggy.com/daily.php?date=041208

Zoe was born in 1979

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am 
Very interesting psychoanalysis in this thread, mostly from Mith, although I don't think I entirely agree with it all. Now, I hate to be the one to say "they're just comic strip characters," but a lot of the analysis seems to have its basis in "how could any real person possibly behave this way," and in trying to come up with an explanation, it's painted a picture of people who are borderline insane. And here I think is the mistake: a lot of their behavior is simply because it's funny. They don't act the way real people do, partly because it's funnier when they don't. They're caricatures of real people, so of course their traits are exaggerated beyond what any sane human being would have.

That's not to say that the analysis is inherently wrong--I think it got a lot of things right. But the analysis is trying a little bit too hard to explain everything, to get really deep in their heads, without taking into account that it's just possible that their psychological nuances aren't quite so deep.

Let's take Torg. Yes, he's silly. And yes, it's a defense mechanism. But it's not just a defense mechanism. It's also part of how he views the world: anything is possible. Reality isn't quite so cut and dry as it seems. So to him, it makes sense to chat up the aliens, the demons, and the vampires, to makes puns and joke with them, and pretend he doesn't have a clue what their intentions are. He knows, from personal experience, that nothing is what it seems, that the most dangerous and scary monsters can become friends (Aylee, Mosp, Sam, anyone?), that the most innocent and cute critters can be deadly (Bun-bun, the kittens). A lot of silliness comes from the simple fact that his mind is completely open to anything, and its his way of feeling people out, testing the waters and seeing how they react, so he knows how to react to them. He never pre-judges situations or people, and that's a lot of the reason he's so able to adapt to the incredibly bizarre situations he gets into every day.

Dang, now you guys have me doing it. What was my point?

Ah, yes--now while I think the silliness is partly a personality trait that can be explained, it's also exaggerated in order to make him funny. Torg's silliness is sometimes there because that's what the strip needs for the punchline rather than because it's in character for him. And the fact that Torg is a very self-aware comic strip character makes me wonder whether part of the silliness is simply because it's his job to be silly, and he knows it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:18 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: Phearid+Mond
hmmm...I'm just here to say that I think we are going to see some of the old hero like Riff come back in this little story. I think he is going to have to save Torg from the game. I hope that involves explosives or at least an EMP.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:35 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Of course we're over-analyzing things. We're Sluggites, it's what we do. :torg:

--tll

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 am 
The change in Riff might have something to do with the fact that, since the end of Dangerous Days, he's actually had to worry about money. Before he could fight evil, play videogames, and build giant robots, and not only would he be paid for it, but he'd actually get an expense account for buying his super-science supplies. Since then, Riff's been forced to downgrade being a badass scientist from a full-time to a part-time activity. Would make anyone seem like they're losing their edge.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:26 pm 
The change is far more recent than DDA. It's really since TWR that Riff has been like that. My current theory is that the changes in Torg's character demanded by TWR make it so he can't be the stupid/goofy one in dangerous situations anymore.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat