Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 pm 
Recently I read a request for a new flow chart, and I put in my two cents that a bulleted list would be better. But then I thought, what if we could put that into a much more flexible wiki form? And I looked, and there is NO SLUGGY WIKI. Anywhere. The nearest I got was this thread, talking about two Wikipedia articles and a Wikiquotes page.

So I'd like to build our very own Sluggy Wiki! As far as hosts go, I recommend Wikia. It is free and hosted off-site, so none of us has to pay maintenance on it. I've had a good experience with them, having started my own wiki there myself.

Discuss.

Edit: The wiki is live! Check out Niftypedia today! Let's get this baby going! Discussion and planning are in this thread.

Last edited by Mathwhiz90601 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm 
Lesser webcomics have wikis; it's about time Sluggy Freelance had one.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:05 pm 
We had one years ago. I can't remember why it went away, but I think that we lost it at the same time we lost the dialogue search.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:18 pm 
I was thinking about this a while ago. I'd be happy to host a Sluggy wiki... it'd complement NiftySearch quite well.

And then I'd finally have enough reason to get NiftySearch a domain.

What do you guys think? Does Sluggy need a wiki?
Don't we already know the answer to that? Of course it does!
Should I make one?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 am 
Well, if we go with Wikia, we won't have to host it. They take care of it. For free. They have a request form on their site for new wikia wikis. Here are the fields:

Title for your wiki:
The title will be displayed in several places including the wiki's main page and the browser bar. It's best to keep it short and simple.

Choose your wiki's language:
This will be the default language for visitors to your wiki.

This is the web address for your wiki. It's best to use a word likely to be a search keyword for your topic. Please use only lower case without spaces and avoid special characters (i.e. $, @, or !).

What is your wiki about?
Please write a couple of sentences to help us understand what you're planning.

Category for your wiki:
This will help visitors find your wiki.

Community:
Who will join you in building your wiki? Do you plan to recruit users? Is there a community for this topic?

Can you link us to more information about your topic and community?
Where can we learn more about this topic?

Is there anything else you would like to tell us about this request?
Please give any information that you can. This part is optional, but it would help us to evaluate your request.

My suggestions for the fields:

SluggyWiki, Nifty Wiki, Sluggy Freelance Wiki, or whatever we all think is best
English (hey, that's the language in the comic, like we have a choice there)
http://sluggy.wikia.com
Not sure about the about field.
Category Entertainment
We are the community!
Link to www.sluggy.com
And any other info.

They review the submission, but if they granted me a wiki for an obscure 90's Mac Classic-only game, I'm sure they'd make one for one of the most popular webcomics around. I'd be happy to start it off, since I've already got a Wikia presence, but I'd like at least a consensus on these fields.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 am 
I know I'd absolutely love to work on the articles for such a wiki.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:26 am 
If there is no further suggestions, I'll submit the wiki request tomorrow morning (about 12 hours after today's comic went up) and use my best judgment on what to call it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:50 am 
Regarding the name... I think Niftypedia has a nice ring to it, even if it does look sort of awkward writen out.

I think this could prove to be a pretty handy sluggy-research resource provided that
a) new parties have a way of finding out about it
and b) that we're able to keep the thing sufficiently organised and maintained.

With any luck this will prove a valuable tool in terms of catching newcomers up with all the really juicy esoteric information and misdirections that sluggy is so full of.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:44 am 
I'm afraid of it making spoilers too easily available, though. At least there should be a system of tags telling somehow to some extent what you need to have read lest you be spoiled at a particular point. (I don't like the attitude seen on some Wikis that "if you're reading this whole site at all, you've already agreed to be spoiled on anything at any point". It's not fair you should have to avoid a whole wiki or knowingly accept spoilers because people there can't be bothered to label things.)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:37 am 
yeah, spoilers can be a problem. Most of the fandom wikis I've seen have spoiler areas that require highlighting, and Wikipedia itself usually warns people about spoilers in sections where they exist... but we'd have to rely on submitters.

I've been wondering the same thing with the transcriptions in the search. For example, Spider-crab Aylee is almost universally transcribed as "Cloney," and the man in the pet shop Torg calls in the second week of the strip is transcribed as "Uncle Time." While those are correct, they might spoil someone...

I'm gonna have to bring this up in the search thread.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:31 pm 
I think it's a great idea to have a Sluggy wiki and I would definitely contribute.

Spoilers:
I don't believe in a spolier tag or whatever. People that are using the wiki usually have read Sluggy completely. Or they don't want to/have the time to read it and are just looking because some funny rabbit named Bun-bun appeared in another work of fiction and they want to know what he is. Besides, articles about characters/storylines etc. will probably be quit chronoogical, so everyone can stop reading the moment he wants (se for example Memory Alpha).

And who can decide what a spoiler is? To someone who has just read the first 8 books it's a spoiler that Riff works for hC. To someone who has just read the first Oasis storyline it's a spoiler that she is alive. And to someone who has just read the first 18 strips it's a spoiler that Bun-bun has a switchblade...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:56 pm 
Ok, I'm putting a 24 hour poll on what to call it. Suggestions include:

Sluggy Wiki
Sluggypedia
Nifty Wiki
Niftypedia
Sluggy Freelance Wiki
or something else you think of.

I'll collect the results in 1 day and submit the request.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:38 pm 
Sheep wrote:
Spoilers:
I don't believe in a spolier tag or whatever. People that are using the wiki usually have read Sluggy completely. Or they don't want to/have the time to read it and are just looking because some funny rabbit named Bun-bun appeared in another work of fiction and they want to know what he is.

I'm speaking from personal experience when I say that's not always the case, and when it's not, it's really annoying when someone assumed it is.

Quote:
Besides, articles about characters/storylines etc. will probably be quit chronoogical, so everyone can stop reading the moment he wants (se for example Memory Alpha).

And who can decide what a spoiler is? To someone who has just read the first 8 books it's a spoiler that Riff works for hC. To someone who has just read the first Oasis storyline it's a spoiler that she is alive. And to someone who has just read the first 18 strips it's a spoiler that Bun-bun has a switchblade...

For that reason, the system would have to involve time or names of stories somehow. I can't think of any very simple way of handling it off the top of my head - it will require thinking about.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:39 pm 
Poll? Where?

(I'd vote for "Niftypedia".)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm 
VVK wrote:
Poll? Where?

(I'd vote for "Niftypedia".)

Just post your vote, these forums don't support actual polls.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat