Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:08 pm 
I'm a little suspicious of Urja's subservience at this point. She's pretty smart in many ways.

She has a huge advantage over the Vorpyr in that she can quickly create hordes of subservient minions

She needs to keep them 'alive' to keep the Strakoi at bay but knows Sylvia in particular is more powerful than her in many ways, and certainly more resilient and harder to kill.

She may well be relying on Sylvia's aristocratic vanity and Sam's stupidity to further her own ends.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:43 am 
Possibly ultra-long-term spec: Torg and Zoe left to find Oasis (yes, I know) after Izzy's monster speech and a long debate with Zoe - I wouldn't be surprised if searching for Oasis was actually Zoe's idea, either. It gave Torg some weird insight into the situation. He's still pissed at Riff, but he's not abandoning the group completely.

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:20 am 
AOL: Eagle299
Thinking about it, it's probably not so much how clever Sam has been that Urja is looking at. Though give the man some credit, he'd been dodging the Vykros for years even before joining Torg and the Minion Master. I think it's more the idea of Sampire that Urja is putting on a pedestal. The Strakoi want him dead, not for anything he's done, but to end a magical treaty they're bound by. But they still want to kill him, have sent an army of assassins and they failed. The Vyrkos have wanted him dead for years, and failed. And he betrayed Lysinda and he alone survived. And now Sylvia, but she's a detail to this legend. As long as they two of them live, they have a continent to call a safe harbor. And she has a legend she can rally other vampires around against their common enemy.

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:12 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
He did after all outsmart Bun-Bun that one time!

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:15 pm 
Dodger77 wrote:
He did after all outsmart Bun-Bun that one time!

And the safety of the remaining few vampires on the continent depends on that tidbit remaining top secret.

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:30 am 
Deep down, I don't think this will happen, but it would be interesting if Sylvia and Urja are taken out by whoever's at the door and Sam is spared since he's hidden in the closet. That'd tie up the vamp stuff pretty well while giving Sam a way back into the story.

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:06 am 
It's got to be Pierre. And presumably, he was sent by the Strakoi, so that can hardly be a good thing.

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:11 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
It's got to be Pierre. And presumably, he was sent by the Strakoi, so that can hardly be a good thing.

How about if it's Daryl. risen from the grave?

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:18 pm 
Like as a ghost?

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:40 pm 
The person at the door could be Torg, vampire hunters in tow...

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:13 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
The person at the door could be Torg, vampire hunters in tow...

Or Isabella and Armenius Vambrey

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:14 pm 
Good grief, it could be Teddy Weddy too! Since when can Vorpyr "sense" the presence of people who aren't even vampires?

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:32 pm 
OK, so Urja likes playing a strong "beta" - to the point of making herself subservient to the Vorpyr. But why Sam? Why not have made Sylvia "queen"? Sylvia clearly has ambition, and although she was originally a "beta" as well, I think she has less problem stepping squarely into an "alpha" role. Likewise, although we don't know Pierre, yet, why not make him a "king"? Why Sam?

So aside from the hint that we got today that the Sampire is "legend", I think a clue also comes from the chatter in "Reactions". In order to make a new Vorpyr, part of the ceremony requires drinking the blood of the Queen (or in Sam's case, "king"). One presumes that builds in some auto-loyalty. And therein lies Urja's "genius". By making the Vorpyr loyal to an idiot, she can maintain some control, despite being "only" a Vrykolaka. Sylvia was going along with it, partly because she (correctly) figured that Urja would lose patience and throw Sam in the broom closet, but partly because she has no one else to help rebuild the Vorpyr. Now Pierre is here... Will Sam remain "king" - and will Urja still retain control?

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:50 pm 
I do have a feeling that Urja and Sylvia will continually be vying for the real control of this new Cirkail. It's difficult to say who would win. Both can manipulate Sam. Sylvia is a spoiled aristocrat, while Urja is a trained, diligent warrior. If it were a one on one physical contest, I believe Urja would win every time. However, when it comes to intrigue and manipulation, Sylvia may be the superior. Furthermore, she has Pierre now, who would surely side with her (if he doesn't have his own agenda). When it's one on one, the fact that a Vorpyr isn't killed by a stake is academic and of little practical use. When there are multiple Vorpyr ready to pull out each other's stakes, it becomes a significant tactical issue to be reckoned with. Meanwhile, Urja can outpace the Vorpyr in vampire production (assuming they can produce any), but the Vrykos have much less strength in numbers because many can be killed by staking one and they don't get to revive each other by pulling out stakes.

As a side note, based on Pierre's supposed previous location (to be honest, I thought he was lying to be trusted, but since the arc is over I guess he was probably being truthful), I wonder if he has had any encounters with Riff or his assistant Jenny.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:06 am 
Tommy's wife is Sasha. Nothing bothers that woman.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat