Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:54 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
So, have we all finally come to the realization that the bug can't randomly switch back to the present whenever he wants? :p

I still think it's a possibility actually. In the comic for March 20, K'Z'K says he grabbed on to the web in the past and "is just holding on." What happens when he let's go? Once he returns to the present I am guessing he will be stuck there. In the mean time he's holding on in the past to subtly influence events in the present before returning at the opportune moment. He may in fact chose to remain in the past until he's actually summoned in the present. Which makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Better free in the past then stuck in the present hoping some mortals get their act together and summon you.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:18 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
I was thinking along similar lines, Vlamier. But a freelance what, I wonder? And how does he manage to retain his own god powers when the others, it appears, do not? Hm Hm Hmmm

One of the things that no one appears to be speccing about is the fact that we have not heard a peep from Uncle Time since he fled the tower in terror, leaving K'Z'K/Gwynn/Siphy in the tower alone to mess with the web. Methinks that Bun-Bun getting tossed out of time was no 'accident' - and not just because Bun-Bun was being his obnoxious self. Once out of time, Uncle Time can put him back into time anywhere he damn well feels like it - and my guess is that he has better aim than he lets on. We don't actually know what happened to the other Gods of Mohkadun - but we do know that a certain Pet Store owner and the "pet god" that he sold to Torg are still around. And it's not a coincidence that Bun-Bun is here at this point in time. ...and a few other 'not coincidences' as well...

I want a "pet god"...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 pm 
Long-ish term spec. When Siphi gets home she tells the gods about the future. This:
1) is how Uncle Time knows who to sell Bun-bun to
2) maybe causes them to set their own long term plan in motion to counter K'z'k. This may also have to do with why Bun-bun was in Timeless Space the first time

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:46 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
So, have we all finally come to the realization that the bug can't randomly switch back to the present whenever he wants? :p

No such thing. The Bug is just holding on in the past because there's no need to return to the present until he's needed to charge up the summoning. He could let go whenever he wants.

Incidentally, I think it's going to come out VERY soon that the Bug waited too long. Pete's been hinting at this for a while now. Or does everyone think the random appearances of "Sluggy" in Torg and Riff's past is just a coincidence? It's Sluggy Freelance's version of "Bad Wolf".

Oh, yeah, long term-ish spec: Siphy doesn't get back to Mohkadun. Someone's going to take her out, possibly Strom, but Torg's backup team is also likely. You know, Aylee, SlaughTeresa, Kiki, ZHOAS and (maybe) a regenerated pissed-off Sam.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 pm 
The pieces of the puzzle are going to combine

K'Z'K will return with gwynn.

The release will happen .. and K'Z'K will be released from Gwynn.

Nash takes out Meander, providing innocent blood for Chaz.

The storm breaker will have access to a powered up chaz.

Storm Breaker + Chaz is not good news for K'Z'K.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

No such thing. The Bug is just holding on in the past because there's no need to return to the present until he's needed to charge up the summoning. He could let go whenever he wants.

If he could let go whenever he wants, then he'd just let go immediately and poof, he'd be at the summoning. Waiting in the past has no bearing on where he'd end up in the future. In fact, he could have chosen to jump back to a moment seconds after the switch happened, nobody being any wiser. He could have spent days in the past and returned years in the future, or vice versa. If the problem is accuracy, the time that you leave isn't going to affect that. If you can't hit the bullseye on Tuesday, why would you expect waiting till Wednesday will improve your aim? No, the only reason he'd need to wait is because the Ordained call on him at a certain moment in the past, and he has to wait until that moment arrives.

Because he can't leave on his own.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Kesandru wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

If he could let go whenever he wants, then he'd just let go immediately and poof, he'd be at the summoning. Waiting in the past has no bearing on where he'd end up in the future. In fact, he could have chosen to jump back to a moment seconds after the switch happened, nobody being any wiser. He could have spent days in the past and returned years in the future, or vice versa. If the problem is accuracy, the time that you leave isn't going to affect that. If you can't hit the bullseye on Tuesday, why would you expect waiting till Wednesday will improve your aim? No, the only reason he'd need to wait is because the Ordained call on him at a certain moment in the past, and he has to wait until that moment arrives.

Because he can't leave on his own.

I don't think this particular version of time travel/soul exchange works that way. And Uncle Time even said Gwynn is holding herself in the past. If some other force was keeping Gwynn/The Bug locked in the past, he would've said so. But he said Gwynn (since he doesn't know about the Bug) is holding on. That indicates he could let go whenever he wants.

But he's also tired of his plans being screwed up. So he put this plan together, now all he needs is to actually hear the ritual in progress through his psychic-time-link with the Queen and let go. Like I said, though, I think he waited too long. Somehow, there's something he didn't plan for.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:18 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I think Kesandru has hit on the crux of the issue: Once The Bug returns, he brings Gwynn as well and returns the Queen. The Queen wants to go home, which is why she's going along with the ceremony. However, The Bug doesn't realize that Meander has brought the Stormbreaker, and once she and Gwynn (and the rest of The Gang) team up, well, let's just say sparks are probably going to fly.

On the flip side, we have Skip, Meander and her cult, plus Dr. Wilcott.

This is going to be a fun couple of weeks I suspect. :kiki:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm 
Dodger77 wrote:
I think Kesandru has hit on the crux of the issue: Once The Bug returns, he brings Gwynn as well and returns the Queen. The Queen wants to go home, which is why she's going along with the ceremony. However, The Bug doesn't realize that Meander has brought the Stormbreaker, and once she and Gwynn (and the rest of The Gang) team up, well, let's just say sparks are probably going to fly.

On the flip side, we have Skip, Meander and her cult, plus Dr. Wilcott.

This is going to be a fun couple of weeks I suspect. :kiki:

As far as the bug knows, the Storm breaker is burnt, just like for all the Gwynn knows, Zoe is dead. There should be some surprises all around.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:00 pm 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
Been checking in now and then, and what you guys have done with my idea Is awesome. (I started the original What will happen next thread, about 5 years ago.) Still, just how long has Pete had all these ideas in his head? I confess I have no idea at all What Will Happen Next. Whatever happened to the gymnast/assassin? Does she have a role in this too?
(Twenty minutes later) Something else just popped up in my memory: does anyone think that K'Z'K might be vulnerable to nerf? Santa was, after all, and everything Peter ever put in the comic seems to be coming back into play.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 am 
Parannoyed! Nice to see you back! I think I stopped chatting in the forums around the same time as you. Came back around the start of the year after catching up with the comic over the holiday. As to your question - I've been wondering about the Nerf thing for a while. If we accept that Aylee's species was indeed created by Kzk as an avenue of destruction (like their creation myths suggest), I see no reason the Nerf aliens - whose goal was to turn every human into an alien host - would be any different. But I doubt Kzk'd share the same weakness.

On the subject of weaknesses, I've been thinking about Chaz in relation to The Kiz as well. Everyone's been waiting with bated breath for him to activate during this chapter. I think it might be the most wrongly specced thing in Sluggy at this point :P But what if Pete's saving it up for the big moment - to activate only at the last moment, purely to strike down Kzk - because it won't work?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:51 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Parannoyed! Nice to see you back! I think I stopped chatting in the forums around the same time as you. Came back around the start of the year after catching up with the comic over the holiday. As to your question - I've been wondering about the Nerf thing for a while. If we accept that Aylee's species was indeed created by Kzk as an avenue of destruction (like their creation myths suggest), I see no reason the Nerf aliens - whose goal was to turn every human into an alien host - would be any different. But I doubt Kzk'd share the same weakness.

On the subject of weaknesses, I've been thinking about Chaz in relation to The Kiz as well. Everyone's been waiting with bated breath for him to activate during this chapter. I think it might be the most wrongly specced thing in Sluggy at this point :P But what if Pete's saving it up for the big moment - to activate only at the last moment, purely to strike down Kzk - because it won't work?

I'm pretty sure Chaz already said it wouldn't. But then, he just might know for sure, since if the timeline is correct, he never actually got the chance.

I really want him to activate because I think that will be a game-changer for several reasons not specifically related to attacking K'Z'K. Not to mention Chaz is really all Torg & Co. currently have going for them against an army of non-K'Z'K demons.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:48 pm 
All Chaz ever said on the subject is "if you tore up the final chapter of a book, would the story go on forever?" which is kind of a non-answer. More like saying, "If Kzk can by killed, would it really stop the world from ending?" which is an interesting question, but says nothing about whether Chaz can actually do it.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:56 pm 
I think we can think about the ending of the Nifty Dimension as synonymous with the ending of Sluggy Freelance as a comic strip. When Chaz posed the question to Torg about whether a story would go on forever if the last page was torn out of a book, we can think of if Pete stopped writing Sluggy Freelance without actually ending it (removing the ending) if the world he created would have no end.

The answer is no. The end of the story will come whether there is a proper ending or not as far as we are concerned. Discarding non-canon storylines written as fan-fiction, the story ends when Pete stops writing the strip. It is in everybody's interest that Pete gives Sluggy Freelance a proper ending, but i don't believe this necessarily needs to include the ending of the universe they inhabit.

We've already been introduced to the idea that the way the Sluggy Dimension ends doesn't necessarily need to include K'z'k. I feel that we should be comfortable with the idea that the world will end, just as we should be comfortable with the idea Sluggy Freelance ends. They may end at the same time, but i find that unlikely.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02 pm 
I used to think that, Ming, but ever since it was established that Kodaku ends sparks so that Protozoa can start new ones - and that people from previous sparks can be specially chosen to survive as gods in the new spark - Kzk's finality and scope has been greatly diminished in my eyes. When you tear the last chapter out of that book, the story can indeed go on forever. Bun Bun is a testament to that. How many sparks ago was he born? At least three

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat