Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:45 am 
Some random (un)likely long term specs, don't know how much of this someone has said before:
The fall (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/041105) that turned the dimension of pain into the dimension of pain is that dimension's equivalent of what's happening in DoN now and alt-Riff is recapping for DoR.
Unfortunately (for me), we'll never see the DoP demons again (seriously has it been 7 years? I feel so old), but the transformation of the Dim-sum Henchmen of Pang from genetic atrocities to actual R&D wars demons will involve K'z'k, perhaps in the role the Demon King played in DoP.
4U city red will end with Alt-Riff showing Riff a dimensional window on Torg's attack on Hereti-corp with Crushestro.
It turns out the Outsiders are run by a mutated alt-Santa and Bun-bun is the real buckaroo in charge of 4U City trying to kill him, keeping Riff around for tech and to manage the details.
Strom returns to Hereti-corp during Torg's attack with a Book of E-ville controlled Gwynn, raising a whole bunch of issues about who "the real badguys are."
There will be an awesome fight between Sam and Oasis, but at first neither of them will know who the other is until Oasis stabs but doesn't kill Sam and he realizes it's the girl they're after (there's something fishy about Sam being the only member of Torg's party who is not a head on a stick who has also not met oasis.)
Sometime soon Harbinger will come back to life in DoR Dr. Steve's lab.
Medical Nanites have healed Zoe, but since she could not be biochipped until after her arrival in DoR she is constantly in a burned state, being preserved in the eventuality her stormbreaking/bug-squishing powers will be needed.
Torg finally kills Oasis with Chaz stained with either her own blood, Schlock's, Zoe's.
Ocean's Unmoving III, involving none of the main cast but Bert, or at least his crotch.
Kiki becomes potty-trained at exactly the wrong moment.
There's something going on with the fate spiders and the holidays, though that might just be the crack talking...
and now it's stopped. Well, there's some of my general predictions about the future of Sluggy, one hundred percent guaranteed to be actual speculation about an online comic strip based on methods somewhat more reliable than those of Harold Camping's own speculations for today.

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 pm 
ramoss wrote:
Jormungandr wrote:
*cries softly*

oh well... I suppose going back in time is still a possibility... even if it would mean some sort of paradox would form. I was hoping to change my long term spec but now I face the possibility that I will have to wait until DoR Riff is completely done R.E.V.I.E.W.ing to change it... assuming he never admits to trying to alter history. Bleh.

No, a paradox won't form, if they don't observe what is happening in that dimension NOW. That means the DoN Riff can go back in time without a paradox if the future is not observed.

no, no, no, no, no... you misunderstand. The second half of my long term spec is that DoR Riff attempted to travel back in time to stop the rise of 4u city. DoR Riff has just clearly stated that since he has viewed all the events from the moment he originally left DoR until well after the rise of 4u city he can no longer go to back to that time without creating a paradox... that said... it's possible such a paradox is exactly how DoR Riff "made everything worse." That is of course assuming that he dealt with the "destroy a dimension outright" possibility.

popplarity wrote:
The fall (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/041105) that turned the dimension of pain into the dimension of pain is that dimension's equivalent of what's happening in DoN now and alt-Riff is recapping for DoR.
Unfortunately (for me), we'll never see the DoP demons again (seriously has it been 7 years? I feel so old), but the transformation of the Dim-sum Henchmen of Pang from genetic atrocities to actual R&D wars demons will involve K'z'k, perhaps in the role the Demon King played in DoP.

Oh yeah. You noticed that too huh. :-D Here is something that pretty much proves your theory: compare "mutagen delivering squid on a stick" and.... *drum roll* The Demon Spear Calmadar. And the... mutations... created by the "squid on a stick"? My, doesn't that look like mosp in the center of panel 8.

EDIT:
Oh and don't be so sure we have seen the last of the demons from the dimension of pain. After all read the last words of the last panel from the last time the demons appeared in a cannon strip. I think Pete just wants to take care of other plot lines for a while and... well... let's be honest: No plot line to date has topped That Which Redeems. There is certainly potential for that story line to be topped... but the pieces just haven't been in place for that to happen. This is, of course, my own humble opinion.

I think it's wise for Pete to avoid the Dimension of Pain and it's denizens till some of the... emotional power... associated with the Dimension of Pain has faded. Plus, remember, Torg's main involvement with Dimension of Pain was that Horribus wanted Torg's head on a pike... while Psyk (who is now the Demon Lord Psykosis) was steadfastly against Horribus' quest to defeat Torg almost since the moment they entered the Dimension of Lame. Makes sense that he would pointedly avoid DoN and similar dimensions. And TWR also wrapped up almost all the plot points from the Dimension of Pain Demons... even Mosp's back story. So that was a good point to put DoP related storys on hold while Pete deals with other plot points like Oasis, Hereti Corp, Schlock, K'Z'K, Fate Spiders, Father Time, etc.

Besides... Everything following bROKEN seems to be building up to something truly epic. Something potentially sluggyverse changing. We may soon see a Crowning Moment of Awesome to top "Redemption is Overrated". One can hope any way...

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:16 pm 
Monday's Shotgun:

Let's say that DoN and DoR actually are parallel in their times as well...
Old Riff explains that young Riff's inter-dimensional "time travel" was due to his own dimensional "windows." To avoid paradox, DoN Riff was sent to a non-parallel time in DoR. The "windows", being strangely invasive, forced a time-shift in the continuum when the DoN-Riff/Zoe tried to open the door. Get it? Anyway, that should be revealed tomorrow.
Also, we then see Old Riff having Schlock hand the reigns over to him. The two of them made a deal that involved Schlock being "allowed" to die and Riff getting the tools he needs to create something to replace his lost Zoe (Kusari-is-Zoe speccers take note). To do so, he needs: nanites, cloning science, thought-links (Schlock's balloon-Schlock, R.E.V.I.E.W. machine, etc) and vast volumes of information on behavior (Grab-All databases integrated into 4U's data-pools).
I still say that cane is a very important piece of equipment in the whole ordeal.

End o' the Shotgun.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:11 am 
Simple long-running bet:
Old Riff will use the DFA as time-travelling apperatus to go in before "the betrayal" to prevent the rise of 4U City, or at least some element of it.
He might decide to send someone else - I guess sluggy prime Riff - to do the job instead, in order to prevent paradoxes.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:33 pm 
Hmm...

Tuesday Shotgun:
Frog is revealed to be lying/wrong about shooting schlock
DoR Riff explains that DoR is beyond hope and cannot be saved... not even with time travel.
DoR Riff tells DoN Riff that he altered the latter's "trajectory" as he entered DoR so that he appeared in the same place... but at a different time that he otherwise would have. (note, this spec does not require the alteration of DoN Riff's trajectory through time to be intentional... just requires that it be a direct result of DoR riff's actions)

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:26 am 
Shotgun reloaded

If I'm right, the lateness of the comic means I got this in on time.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:10 am 
DoR Riff tells our Riff he can't send him home or the universe will implode. They need to fix the dimension first and even then they can't risk using the DFA ever again.

DoR Riff finishes his project to fix the universe but it doesn't work or even winds up making things worse.

He sends our Riff and Zoë home while DoR breaks apart, causing massive damage to many neighboring dimensions as well, including Sluggy Prime.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:10 pm 
DoR Riffs project for 'Reboot them all' is to reset every universe to before the rise of 4U city, and to stop DFA from destroying timeless space for each dimension. It will be the 'decades that never happened'.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:26 pm 
For starters I'd like to shift my vote for "Redemption is Overrated" being the greatest Crowning Moment of Awesome in sluggy history (thus far) to... well... "something... foolhardy" ...just one day prior.

As for specs... blah... I'm worse at this than I thought. That or Pete is a much better story teller than I could even comprehend. Probably the latter.

Also... one can hope Pete's mention of timeless space is foreshadowing the return of Calix and gang... even if it isn't a true Ocean's Unmoving III. (LOL... won't that make bun-bun's day.) After all... he just inextricably tied timeless space, time travel, and dimension hopping together... unless the DFA is getting destroyed in DoN soon the potential for some one to fall into timeless space from DFA usage has just been established and our Riff has just been made aware of it's existence to boot. Happy days!

Also... HOLY S#!+... There is more than one "timeless space"? One for each dimension? CRAP! So many possibilities... head hurting... but of course... should have seen it... there would have been so many bun-bun's in timeless space otherwise... Bah! I really do suck at this.

Oh crap... and wouldn't DoN be one of those collapsing parallel dimensions? Frak me... Would sending DoN Riff back to his own dimension shortly after the events of Another Year in the Life of a Villain be possible? Would the fact that it's before the annihilation event be enough to prevent dimensional collapse? It's gotta be... otherwise DoN Riff isn't coming back... unless DoN really is time shifted compared to DoR... but far more so than I thought.

This particular strip is just full of "Oh Crap!"

Any way... hmm... If DoR Riff rebooted every one... then how does Rammer remember his father finding him and contacting him just after he got Bio Chipped? It happened when Rammer received his bio chip... unless that is also the moment Riff took over as His Masterness and freed Schlock up to get to know his son... his son wouldn't remember the interim between getting biochipped and that moment so to him it would be as if he had just gotten biochipped... Actually it's possible rammer was rebooted multiple times and each time Schlock contacted him and got to know him... again... without letting on that Rammer had already been rebooted.

It also means that DoN Riff didn't receive his biochip until after DoR Riff gave the order to reboot everyone. So now we are talking at least a 40 year jump forward through time from bROKEN. And the damage to the dimension itself is one potential explanation of why DoN Riff entered DoR so far "off course"

Oh and there is the fact frog was still young when DoR Riff reached the control pod... 40 years after The Betrayal... yet he is old when DoN Riff reaches it.... why? Certainly he doesn't live longer (average frog lives 15 years "out of the wild") just because his brain got rewired by a brain bug... so he must use MN 2.0 or 3.0. If 3.0 doesn't slow aging... then that would explain it... he could be nearing time for another age induced reboot. that would put him this moment... between 10 and 15 years after "reboot them all". That said... frogs don't grow beards or mustaches... so who freaking knows.

*strokes his beard* Hmm...

Shotgun for Wednesday:
Frog is revealed to be lying/wrong about shooting schlock (through perseverance I SHALL PREVAIL!... cause that's my ninja way... or something)
DoR Riff tells DoN Riff that his "trajectory" was altered as he entered DoR so that DoN Riff appeared in the same place... but at a different time that he otherwise would have.

EDIT: OH CRAP! DoN Bun-Bun doesn't necessarily have to be from DoN... The Santa Claus he is so mad at (for whatever reason) may not be the one he has been terrorizing... And if you meta-game it you realize his amnesia is a perfect plot device to keep him from knowing this... after all he doesn't remember why he hates Santa... just that he does. He could be the bun-bun from the Dimension of Jerkwads like Torg-in-a-fridge and Demonic Kiki were. Except he was deposited into DoN's Timeless Space by an "abusive" dimension hop. The Santa Claus from such a dimension would likely be a jerkwad prankster and might have actually earned Bun-Bun' malice. Hell... maybe he is that dimension's Riff who wanted access to the fat man's R&D labs and killed him for it... then DFA'ed that dimensions bun-bun to DoN only for him to end up in timeless space instead! Or maybe the fat man stole the tech from their Riff. If the black ops elves were involved in dealing with bun-bun its not hard to imagine the dimension hop going wrong and dumping him in timeless space. It all makes perfect freaking sense! Holy Fraking Crap on a Stick Batman!

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm 
Wednesday's Shotgun:

Reloaded:
Old Riff explains that young Riff's inter-dimensional "time travel" was due to his own dimensional "windows." To avoid paradox, DoN Riff was sent to a non-parallel time in DoR. The "windows", being strangely invasive, forced a time-shift in the continuum when the DoN-Riff/Zoe tried to open the door. Get it? Anyway, that should be revealed tomorrow.
Also, we then see Old Riff having Schlock hand the reigns over to him. The two of them made a deal that involved Schlock being "allowed" to die and Riff getting the time and tools he needs to fix the universe's time-space continuum.
I still say that cane is a very important piece of equipment in the whole ordeal.

End o' the Shotgun.

Also, for the week. We will see a Bun-Bun By Friday.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:38 pm 
I'm still working on the awesome His Masterness predictions spreadsheet of awesomeness. RL keeps getting in the way, but gunning for this Saturday the 28th for completion.

Jormungandr wrote:
Current long term Multi-spec (to make things easier for our intrepid host): (1) Pod-Riff has access to time travel tech and (2) tried to use it to stop the rise of 4U City.
"Mastering knowledge of moving through time as well as space" is spot on, +2. "If there was any one thing I could do to stop this future, it would have been to stop that war" is close-but-no-cigar, +1.

jmpuglia wrote:
Friday Recap-spec-shotgun-extravamuganza:
Over the course of the next few comics:
"Old" Riff explains that he and Zoe were DFAd out of his dimension following the Oasis/Harbinger attack and landed in a dimension similar-yet-opposite of the 4U dimension (i.e. it never rains). Much later, he was able to get back in time for Schlock to hand the reigns over to him. He and Schlock made a deal that involved Schlock being "allowed" to die and Riff getting the tools he needs to create something to replace his lost Zoe (Kusari-is-Zoe speccers take note). To do so, he needs: nanites, cloning science, thought-links (Schlock's balloon-Schlock, R.E.V.I.E.W. machine, etc) and vast volumes of information on behavior (Grab-All databases integrated into 4U's data-pools).
What he's been working on in the basement actually affects the weather and is why it rains so much in 4U.

End of Shotgun-extravagaTonyDanza.
The 'DFAd out of his dimension' and the 'much later getting back in time for Schlock to hand the reigns over to him' parts have been confirmed so far ... (+3)

Ctu wrote:
Next comic will be how DoR Riff loses Zoe and gets lost in another dimension
Given the date it was posted, exactly right on both counts. (+3) Or could be considered a piggyback (-1) of getting DFA'd (+2) with a springboard of losing Zoe (+2). Either way +3.

Jormungandr wrote:
Wednesday shotgun: DoN Riff interrupts DoR Riff
'Wednesday' shotgun on Monday? Anyway the interruption happened on Tuesday and was complained about on Wednesday. (+2)

Galaxy Hunter wrote:
Shotgun ... Alt-Riff tells about how he built a device (taking years and years) to send him back, saying goodbye to Vealronica and possibly opening a portal to Timeless Space (holding out for OUIII) ... He has to battle his way into the city due to the whole genetic terminate order thing ...
Two parts confirmed. (+3)

Jormungandr wrote:
Thursday shotgun ... It is revealed it didn't used to rain as much before the annihilation event ... It is revealed the Central Tower mounted DFA was *not* used to cause the annihilation event.
Two points awarded ironically just as the rain in RL is stopping. (+2) Can't give you points for what *didn't* happen though.
Jormungandr wrote:
... DoR Riff hits DoN Riff with his cane out of frustration ...
That was successfully renewed for when it happened, but only worth (+1) since it was originally part of a shotgun that you already got the first two points for.

the_quark wrote:
Actually, you know what? I retract that. Looking at the timeline, the Event happens right after the R&D Wars Go Hot, so I think the Event is R&D Wars-related. I'm further speculating it's Nofun-mutant-related. I still think Schlock saved 4U by DFAing the attackers at the gate.
Good call on two counts. (+3) I'm not going to treat R&D Wars and Nofun mutants as separate specs though, since the mutants are one of the main factions in the war.

Jorodryn wrote:
Ok, still in the high standings and haven't made an actual guess in months. So here is a slightly long term guess. Our DoN Riff will ask the Old 4U City Riff why he didn't just time travel to before the catastrophic event and stop it.
Explained without being asked, close but no cigar. (+1)

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:11 pm 
woot! lots of points! Good to know I'm not melting my brain for no reason. (I've had like 5 more epiphanys since my last edit to my previous post.)

While I am at it... I have a question for Ijustwanttofly: let's say I have made a long term multispec and part of it has already proven true... but the other half has not been explicitly proven or disproven yet. Then lets say I personally decide the second half of my spec *is* in fact wrong. Can I start a new long term spec without forfeiting the point I would have earned from from the first part (basically accepting defeat on the second part, even if it later turns out to be true, but still getting the point for the successful first part of the spec)? I did not see this circumstance mentioned in the rules and was afraid to start a new long term spec for fear of getting no points at all for my previous (partially correct) one. The rules do not seem to mention this...

In any case... I'd like to reiterate how much I (and I'm sure others) appreciate you running this game for us :-)

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:08 pm 
Jormungandr wrote:
Can I start a new long term spec without forfeiting the point I would have earned from from the first part (basically accepting defeat on the second part, even if it later turns out to be true, but still getting the point for the successful first part of the spec)?
Yes, once I award points I won't take them away. In this case the only thing you would forfeit is the chance to earn a fourth point later if you abandon the second part and it *happens* later to *be* spot-on instead of the close-but-no-cigar I called it at this time. (As opposed to, "it *is discovered* later to *have been* spot-on," in which case you would still get the fourth point.)

I try to retroactively award points for things that happened "in comic time" during the comic-time-frame that the specs were targeted at, but which we the audience don't find out about till later in the real-life-time-frame. It's getting more confusing to try to do that when comic time travel is introduced!

I was afraid of putting complex scenarios such as this one into the rules in the first post, due to those rules already approaching book-length.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:47 pm 
Ijustwanttofly wrote:
It's getting more confusing to try to do that when comic time travel is introduced!

Dude! I hear yah. Time travel always makes my head hurt.

Ijustwanttofly wrote:
I was afraid of putting complex scenarios such as this one into the rules in the first post, due to those rules already approaching book-length.

They honestly don't seem that bad... well... I suppose they might be for a forum game (I don't frequent forums much)... and also I'm an avid D&D and WoD player who has memorized most of the books for D&D 3.5. So yeah... I'm kinda not a good indicator for how complex the rules should be. They could be 70 pages long and I'd still be saying, "they don't seem that bad."

To be honest as I play I keep discovering new strategies and techniques. I love that... the rules are just specific enough to clearly define how you earn points and keep people from constantly going for the easy wins (I honestly thought I read at some point that I could spec something didn't happen if it had been repeatedly suggested in-comic that it did... re-read the rules a minute ago and realized my mistake), but also vague enough to allow for a lot of different styles of play... I've said it some where here before but... well... for a forum game it seems rather impressively thought out. And that's coming from the master of over-thinking things. :-D

Any way. Thanks for the answer.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:33 am 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
Final blow: Grab Zoe and Evac.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat