Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:23 am 
Old Riff expected something like this - and manipulated the time controls (showing the time from entry-point +two or three years). So if Riff changes the entry point two years back, he may expect to enter before the explosion - but wil be too later, nevertheless.

I'm really wondering how Pete will handle time-travel this time. Easiest approach might be Oceans Unmoving 3 - Riff getting lost in the rifts of time. On the other hand - maybe Dr. Schlock was already acting on Riff's order when doing the scan.

TCC

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:53 am 
TCCPhreak wrote:
On the other hand - maybe Dr. Schlock was already acting on Riff's order when doing the scan.

TCC

I suspect it's something like that - Riff is not able to change the past (that might be a hard and fast limitation, and a reason why Old Riff planned to drop him off where he couldn't cross his own timeline), but he is responsible for or learns of Schlock doing the scan that preserves a record of Zoe's mind (and possibly a path back to 4U City...or maybe that's for Torg and Sasha).

Real life is often gratuitously cruel, but I hope Pete is not - and the least cruel end for Zoe would be to simply have died in the fire. So I hold out hope that there is a way back for her, however long it takes.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:14 am 
Ummmm.... spec..... ummm...

I got nuthin.

(Riff eventually meets Izzy?)

(Going back in time changes Sluggy Prime so much that we actually saw Sluggy Prime's future?)

(Zoe gets played by Denise Milani in the forthcoming all action thriller Sluggy Freelance : The Movie?)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:23 am 
Kusari is... wait for it... Riff.

No, but really, there is very little basis for informed spec at the moment.
I'll put it out there that in the long term Zoe is saved and somehow the events (or at least the characters' knowledge of the events) in DoN over the last two years will be preserved, but I really don't have any well developed theories as to how either of those will be accomplished.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:41 am 
Piggybacking TCCPhreak's spec that the time machine is rigged.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 am 
I predict Doctor Who will also show up and help set things right with Timey-Wimey stuff. (not really, but if it happens I'm totally claiming it :kiki: )

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:34 am 
Riff goes to the past, saves Zoe, lets himself be DFA'd to the Dimension of 4U, and takes his own place.

This Alt-Prime-Riff goes on to save 4U, though perhaps not as effectively as Zoe isn't actually present with him (Unless, of course, Riff somehow replaces Zoe with her 4U equivalent, fooling everyone into thinking she was always that way and basically making that alt-Riff have the exact same story as he did, but it doesn't look like he's doing that), and the Riffs cross the bridge of what happens when that Riff finds his home dimension when they comes to it.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am 
New Long Term: Riff goes back in time and kills Schlock.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:03 pm 
My theory: Riff smuggled some of the 3.0 nanites. He attempts to stop events from happening, but when that clearly isn't working he exposes Zoe to the nanites. Likely he dies soon after (maybe not, though, maybe he just retires and moves next door to the Prime version of 6 Pack). Events go exactly as they did before: they fight Oasis, Oasis gets paralyzed and freaks out, Riff activates the DFA. Then Riff wakes up in his 4U bedroom on the anniversary of the their little civil war. Things go pretty much the same as before, with vague references to visiting Zoe and 6 Pack pestering him about his RECAP, but Zoe is no longer in the hospital. The nanites the first Riff smuggled were enough to give Zoe a snapshot, and so she came back whole rather than as a vegetable. This time when Old Riff finds the Prime universe, are more than willing to work with him and save the day. End result: everything except this last week remains canon, we get Zoe back, and a storyline in Sluggy Freelance gets a happy ending for the first time in who knows how long.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:29 pm 
My theory: The laws of Sluggy physics prevent Riff from doing what he is trying to do. And he lands where Old Riff was going to send him.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:03 pm 
Tuesday spec: some kind of filler that is hinting that Riff's plan fails.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 am 
At first I thought, "boy, that was a waste of a comic."
Then, since I know Pete doesn't waste comics, I began to think of why he possibly would have had this little episode.

Spec:
Riff planted Med nanites on Zoe so that when she woke up in 4U, she would have been built back up from a snapshot, not from nothing,

Boo-yah!
Nice one, Pete! Never saw that coming! Well, I did, technically, but WOW!You're pretty genius.

P.S. We might not find out tomorrow, but before the end of the week.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 am 
... should I have added a "spoiler's warning"?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:21 am 
Either that or Riff just managed to get the snapshot right now. We're not really sure how that process works. Either way it should be good.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:34 am 
Coming out of long-term lurking to post a slight change to your spec, jmpuglia, which seems to also be thought of by Cow_k (although I hadn't seen that post before writing the remainder of mine). I think he just used nanites to take a snapshot, without really implanting her. That way, he can return to DOR with Alt-Riff and reboot Zoë from her vegetative state there without altering the existing timelines in either dimension. Giving her nanites in this strip would mean he could screw up the revolution and any chance of him actually getting Zoë back anyway.

In fact, I think this is also why he waited for Alt-Riff to show up. Without alt-Riff, he has no way back to vegetable Zoë, so I think he was waiting for that. If Alt-Riff had not shown up, he'd have given her a full dose of 3.0 nanites, risking the timelines. If his plan always was to give her the full dose, then he never would have waited.

In any case, whichever one of us is correct (and given he touched Zoë very purposefully, one of us is almost certainly right) we're going to get back a necklace-tattooed Zoë without knowledge of her realisation that she loves Torg and the original necklace still in the DoN. Pete has truly come up with an amazing solution that ties up all the loose ends. Great stuff Pete (despite you never seeing this due to spec)!

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat