Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:14 am 
I've not been a fan of OU, but Pete couldn't just leave it all hanging.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 am 
TX2 wrote:
No, there is something up about Calix Kada and Riff's Aparatus (mentioned in 1 sluggy freelance comic prior to OU, and mentioned twice during living conditions)

I agree there has to be a connection between Kada and Riff's Aparatus (especially since someone named Jansen bought the Aparatus on eBay IIRC).
But it doesn't have to be after OU. Maybe it's as simple as:
Kada's grandfather (or whatever) bought the Aparatus, worked on it ever sind, and Kada finished it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:37 am 
personally, i'm loving OU. but then, its hard to think of a major storyarc that i didnt like :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:06 pm 
I didn't care up until about a month or two ago. The ending has been phenomenal though and now I'm enjoying every strip.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 pm 
I'm raising my hand for this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:22 pm 
OU actually caused me to give up on Sluggy a couple months ago. I walked away for a few weeks, because it just got so confused and seemed to be going nowhere. Then I decided to come back and see if it was FINALLY over yet. It wasn't. But I got myself caught up on the month I missed, and realized it not only was making more sense, but that I also cared about what was happening.

I think the whole thing will work far better in book form than the daily format.

The Bun Bun return home was not, IMO, a case of dues ex machina, simply because this was clearly all plotted from the beginning. It explains a lot and all makes sense. Rereading the whole arc with the ending in mind makes it a much different story.

That said, Uncle Time was a little too goofy for the overall seriousness of the rest of the story.

I care a lot about what happens to Kada and Calix. But again, my pet theory is that they will turn out to be Torg's parents.

I also found that I really like the grays. B.A.'s attitude when he revealed that he tastes like chocolate was one of the funniest and best-captured moments I've seen in a long time. The voice, expression and situation meshed perfectly.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 pm 
*raises hand*

OU is what got me reading Sluggy in the first place. I've done a complete archives crawl, and I think it holds up pretty well next to the other long storylines, and I want to see how it all ends up.

That said, I hope it finishes soon, because as we lose characters, it becomes less interesting. B.A. in particular has been a lot of fun lately, but it's a sinking feeling to know (at least we think we know) that he won't make it out.

Ale wrote:
Noga is the only thing that keeps me reading, seeing as I'm one of only like, two people who don't want to kill her.

I gotta say I love Lady Noga, too. She is pure, delicious evil. But I think I'd love to see her get her comuppance, too. That would add a lot of interest to the end of OU.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:05 pm 
sepp2k wrote:
Also, I don't think Bun Bun's return was a half-assed deus ex machina.

Oh yes it was. I mean, Uncle Time just decides to let Bun Bun out. Just like that. Special treatment for the bunny but everyone else in timeless space is stuck there.

Plot resolve by means of a deific being. Think that's pretty much the whole point of deus Ex Machina

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:12 pm 
AOL: EagleScout8414
In a world where god-like beings are 'normal' it isn't really out of place. Deus ex machina does not equate half-assed.

Uncle Time was referred to by Father Time. What better place to have him and the way out of Timeless Space be than beneath the Oceans Unmoving, the exact spot that everyone is scared to death of? Good riddle.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:19 pm 
I thought the concept of Oceans Unmoving was nifty from the beginning, but it definitely did start out slow. Fortunately, it picked up momentum rapidly. I think as characters got eliminated, it was easier for the remaining characters to have their personalities brought out to make them interesting. Therefore, I do want to see what happens to Kada and Calix (and Stu!). I think that Stu would be an excellent addition to Sluggy Prime if he were to show up as an occasional character, and Pete obviously has "plans" for Calix and Kada. I'd also hope for the Greys to go to Sluggy Prime, but the Sluggy gang already has enough aliens per capita and it seems like the Grays are stuck for the moment anyway.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:20 pm 
spudman wrote:
In a world where god-like beings are 'normal' isn't really out of place.

God like beings are not normal in Sluggy verse. The main characters have encountered them before, but that does not make them normal.

Quote:
Deus ex machina does not equate half-assed.

Deus ex machina is half assed! The whole point of it is that the author has written themself into such a corner that the only way they can think to resolve the plot is by intervention of a godly being. It's one of the lamest writting tools of all time.

Quote:
Uncle Time was referred to by Father Time. What better place to have him and the way out of Timeless Space be than beneath the Oceans Unmoving, the exact spot that everyone is scared to death of? Good riddle.

Where do you hide the only way out of something? In the one place no one looks! That's not a riddle! And it still doesn't explain why Uncle Time gave Bun Bun such special treatment, but everyone else has to fend for themselves with Tekkon One.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:27 pm 
T-1000 wrote:
I mean, Uncle Time just decides to let Bun Bun out. Just like that. Special treatment for the bunny but everyone else in timeless space is stuck there.

He didn't just let him out. He let him out for solving the riddle of whatever. And he didn't get special treatment. He probably lets everyone out who comes to his place - it's just that noone ever does.

Last edited by sepp2k on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:33 pm 
sepp2k wrote:
He didn't just let him out. He let him out for solving the riddle of whatever.

What riddle? Bun Bun wasn't even looking for Uncle Time specifically, he was looking for Tekkon One! And the only reason he found Uncle Time was cause he got blasted off the side of his ship... by himself! What riddle did Bun Bun solve? Someone? I apparently missed a very crucial plot point.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:38 pm 
T-1000 wrote:
What riddle?

The riddle of Uncle Time!

Quote:
Bun Bun wasn't even looking for Uncle Time specifically

Can't you solve a riddle by accident?

Quote:
And the only reason he found Uncle Time was cause he got blasted off the side of his ship... by himself!

So he was lucky. Still doesn't make the escape half-assed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:49 pm 
AOL: EagleScout8414
Ok, notice that I put normal in those two apostrophes? Gods arn't exactly normal, but they arn't a completely random and inconsistent occurence.

It's not half-assed because it's clear Pete was aiming for Bun-Bun to find Uncle Time beneath the Oceans Unmoving. Rather than writing himself into a corner he steered the plot toward that point, planning it out. He probably determined even before he was first mentioned that Blacksoul was Bun-Bun.

Remember when Patches mentioned the Oceans Unmoving and how terrible it was? This was planned ahead of time.

I think we need a clarification of what you mean by Deus ex Machina. If it is merely the involvement of a god-like being then yes it is, but that does not necessarily make it half-assed. If a Dues ex Machina is the use of a god as a half-assed plot device to get out of a corner, then no this is not an example of one because this seems to have been planned ahead of time leading to this point, when Pete could have merely done something else, like having both of the bunnies reach Technokon One and worked it out in some other way.

In Uncle Time's own words it was "The Riddle of Uncle Time!" his own little cosmic joke in a sense. Bun-Bun solved it without even being aware of it. But for us, the audience, there was the question since Uncle Time was mentioned in the Crazy Carver story, "Where is Uncle Time?". If he runs the place, he must be SOMEWHERE. Why, beneath the Oceans Unmoving of course. Ah Ha!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat