Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:51 pm 
sepp2k wrote:

Uhmm, you realize that there was no actual riddle in that entire stripp. All Bun Bun had to do was just show up.

Tough riddle. I suppose he could have defeated an ancient evil by blowing on it, or maybe Pete should have had Bun Bun unlock a mystical puzzle by touching it. It would have all had the same climatic effect.

Quote:
Can't you solve a riddle by accident?

In real life, maybe.

In story, that makes things terribly uninteresting and unlikely. The whole things comes off as Uncle Time coming along and saving Bun Bun, just because, and not because of any actual accomplishment on the part of Bun Bun.

I mean, we don't even feel like Bun Bun actually earned the right to escape Timeless Space, since he only made it out through the intervention of Uncle Time.

Quote:
So he was lucky. Still doesn't make the escape half-assed.

It does since Uncle Time was the one that let Bun Bun out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:55 pm 
*raises hand*

*drops gun*

where did that go? must fire randomly to find it!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:56 pm 
AOL: EagleScout8414
You may not have noticed my post on the last page.

Intervention of a god does not make it half-assed.

The question of Uncle Time was more for us.

Maybe the bunny doesn't DESERVE it, but since when was it about getting what one deserved? The bunny's conflict with himself led him to the hidden Uncle Time. Fortunate happenstance does not mean half-assed, even if you don't think the character "earned" it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:37 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
*raises hand* I'm enjoying the storyline, and have enjoyed it pretty consistently (though at the beginning I was wondering when we'd get back to Torg). Now that we're pretty much at the end of the story, I can wait 1-2 weeks for it to finish... Calix is too interesting to just drop and forget about.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm 
T-1000 wrote:
And it still doesn't explain why Uncle Time gave Bun Bun such special treatment, but everyone else has to fend for themselves with Tekkon One.

It wasn't special treatment - http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=060203

"That was the neatest drop in a long time" implying that there were other cases of him returning other people. and this isn't the only reference he makes to other returns.

It's simple - find uncle time and escape. It's just quite hard to find him. Just think of him as a door.

oh, and *raises hand too*

The story has obviously been well thought out and it all fits together. Been enjoying it for ages.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:14 pm 
*drops hand*

Bah this could easaly be resolved later, right now I just want to find out what is in the Gorram box

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:50 pm 
I would like to see OU end in a cliff-hanger, then in a year or two have Bun Bun return to bail out his old crew.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:21 pm 
RCG wrote:
I would like to see OU end in a cliff-hanger, then in a year or two have Bun Bun return to bail out his old crew.

Why would Bun Bun ever return to that dump to bail out anyone? That would be totally out of character for him.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 pm 
DaveT wrote:

It wasn't special treatment - http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=060203

"That was the neatest drop in a long time" implying that there were other cases of him returning other people. and this isn't the only reference he makes to other returns.

It's simple - find uncle time and escape. It's just quite hard to find him. Just think of him as a door.

oh, and *raises hand too*

The story has obviously been well thought out and it all fits together. Been enjoying it for ages.

Bun Bun didn't find Uncle Time, Uncle Time found him. Both of them were just there, lifeless, until Uncle Time came along and saved them.

Bun Bun didn't follow any clues or use any planning or thinking in this process, he just got lucky. He fell down after getting bombed by himself. And the only reason he is not still frozen in timeless space is because a deific being came along and saved him.

That is Deus Ex Machina right there, and a really half assed one for all you at home keeping score.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:29 pm 
spudman wrote:
You may not have noticed my post on the last page.

Intervention of a god does not make it half-assed.

Yes, it really does. It's an admission by the writter that he cannot otherwise resolve the plot without the interferance of some all powerful, rule defying being.

Quote:
The question of Uncle Time was more for us.

What question? There was no question? Just a weak legend about him, among dozens of other timeless space legends. Bun Bun wasn't even looking for Uncle Time, he was looking for Tekkon One.

Quote:
Maybe the bunny doesn't DESERVE it, but since when was it about getting what one deserved? The bunny's conflict with himself led him to the hidden Uncle Time. Fortunate happenstance does not mean half-assed, even if you don't think the character "earned" it.

So basically, its clever writting because the main character got stupidly lucky, and just happened to stumble on the one god in all of timeless space that can send him straight home where he wants, even though he wasn't looking for said god in the first place, and all after nearly getting killed by fighting himself?

I call that a hopeless bunch of coincidences that the writter sewed together at the last second in a desperate effort to resolve a plot spinning horribly out of control.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:29 pm 
Uncle Time didn't come along, he was there beneath the Oceans Unmoving the whole time.

The rest I've responded to before.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:30 pm 
Yes, but Pete had it planned out that Uncle Time would save Bun-Bun once Bun-Bun had fallen into the ocean. So, instead of writing himself into a corner (which would have been the product of bad planning), Pete pulled together an ending that explains a lot while leaving stuff open. I thought it was a great ending.

EDIT: This was in response to T-1000. Confusion bad.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:59 pm 
spudman wrote:
I think we need a clarification of what you mean by Deus ex Machina.

A Deus Ex Machina is when a plot point is resolved by a previously unknown influence.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:19 pm 
T-1000 wrote:
sepp2k wrote:
He didn't just let him out. He let him out for solving the riddle of whatever.

What riddle? Bun Bun wasn't even looking for Uncle Time specifically, he was looking for Tekkon One! And the only reason he found Uncle Time was cause he got blasted off the side of his ship... by himself! What riddle did Bun Bun solve? Someone? I apparently missed a very crucial plot point.

Uncle Time stated that the riddle Bunbun accidentally solved was the key to getting sent home.
Patience. We will likely find out what the riddle was before the storyline ends. When we know, then we'll have all the facts.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:53 pm 
Maybe, but I consider it more likely that the "riddle" of Uncle Time was basically finding him and the way out. His own cosmic joke, that of all the places in Timeless Space he (and therefore the way out) are is below the Oceans Unmoving.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat