Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:01 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Yahoo Messenger: kdsorceress
AOL: kdsorceress
HEY GUYS! DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!!?
IT'S TIME TO READ THIS AWESOME COMIC!!!

So, I mean, I don't know if anyone's heard, but I just learned about this great new comic called Sluggy Freelance! It's only been going for about a month, but so far it's really funny! I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I'd love to talk about all the great jokes it's got! You can find the first comic here and the most recent comic here.

((For those who've missed the original discussion on the topic, a bunch of sluggites have decided to reread the entire comic, one chapter a week (or so) until we're all caught up. For some of us, this is a chance to keep track of the [SPOILERS] about [SPOILER], for others, another try at reading everything that's been written, despite wandering away from the comic years ago. Please join us!

Because lots of us have stopped reading at different points, please don't directly discuss spoilers in this thread. So that means, anything from The Sci-Fi Adventure onwards is verboten!

Happy reading!))

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:47 pm 
Ah, simpler times, when demons were summoned for 20 bucks and a case of beer, and PETA was annoying enough to be worthy of mauling.

Good to see Zoe for the first time, though. I guess shiny black spandex pants never go out of style.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:11 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I'm not sure about this new comic, seems awfully violent in the five weeks (35 days) it's been around...

Torg: beaten-up (x3), wants to crush a rabbit's head with hammer (x1), wants to sacrifice rabbit (x1)

Riff: beaten-up (x1), wants to kill a rabbit with an axe (x1)

PETA Guy: beaten-up (x1), eaten alive (presumably)

Zoe: beaten-up (x1), trampled (x2), hit in the head with a Frisbee (x1)

Teddy-Weddy: large chunk of skin torn off (x1), chipped Mr. Wood (x1)

Innocent Demon: run over by a car (x1)

Bun-Bun: pulls a knife on someone (x4), stabbingly cute (x39)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:48 am 
Ahh it mostly looks like it's all in good fun! I'm sure it won't get so over-the-top that we won't be able to keep track of every time someone gets smacked in the face through its entire run...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:26 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
As my brother (who introduced me to The Comic) once pointed out years ago, the motto that for years ran under each strip was "This here is my comic. Is it not nifty? Worship the comic." So the first chapter (and by extension, the first book) should have been titled "This here is my comic." I wonder why Pete skipped to "Is it not nifty?"

Oh well, that's all I got for this chapter.

Last edited by Dodger77 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:27 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: kdsorceress
AOL: kdsorceress
Oh hey, I should actually read the comic in addition to starting the thread!

Thoughts:

Oh man, this Riff guy is totally cute! I wonder if he'll be my friend. :3

I laughed way too hard at the "isn't it ironic?" joke, which somehow actually *has* aged well.

The idea of a bear literally knocking over stores is hilarious. I'm pretty sure I've giggled aloud every time I've read that line.

Oh goodness! This strip is _soooooo_ sexist! One chapter in, and we haven't even passed the Bechdel Test? I don't mind the violence, but that's just egregious. ;)

~Sor
MOOP!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Hmm... Now that I think on it, maybe we could try and talk to Pete about having this thread moved to reactions? It makes sense. To me, anyway. Maybe not, though... I dunno.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm 
Sorceress wrote:
I laughed way too hard at the "isn't it ironic?" joke, which somehow actually *has* aged well.
Haha, I don't think I even understood that joke until years later when I read an explanation on these here forums.
Sorceress wrote:
The idea of a bear literally knocking over stores is hilarious. I'm pretty sure I've giggled aloud every time I've read that line.
Teddy-Weddy's string of "Do I get the *&%$ing job or what?"s did make me laugh.
Sorceress wrote:
Oh goodness! This strip is _soooooo_ sexist! One chapter in, and we haven't even passed the Bechdel Test? I don't mind the violence, but that's just egregious. ;)
I know you're being sarcastic... but honestly, the first chapter has a lot worse problems then failing the Bechdel test what with a typical damsel in distress, bikini-clad women playing frisbee in front of two gawking males, and of course the violence that befalls poor Zoe, but then you did say you didn't mind that.

That reminds me, I've never heard of 'Suicide Frisbee' outside of Sluggy. Is that just an alternate name for Ultimate Frisbee? Seems fairly likely.

Kajin, I think the threads are fine where they are.

Last edited by Dodger77 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 am 
I always assumed Pete invented Suicide Frisbee for Sluggy. That it's some unspecified, ultra-violent version of Ultimate Frisbee.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:54 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
I always assumed Pete invented Suicide Frisbee for Sluggy. That it's some unspecified, ultra-violent version of Ultimate Frisbee.
Ah you're right. I just googled it, and the Niftypedia's article on the frisbee match was the third hit (after RealUltimatePower.Net and Urban Dictionary. Both of those links discuss literal suicide with frisbee.)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm 
All the topical references still seemed funny to me, but maybe that's because I'm getting old and my sense of what's current in pop culture calcified a decade ago! Anyway, I always forget how quickly BunBun and Zoe were introduced.

I don't have much else to add, but wanted to show that I'm up-to-date on my homework for week 1! :D

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:00 pm 
kitoba wrote:
I always forget how quickly BunBun and Zoe were introduced.

The storylines progress really fast in the early years, and keep that pace for a while. Just recently I went through fire and rain again - you can finish that entire chapter in under an hour! It only lasted for a month and a half! Crazy when you consider what a big deal that chapter was

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:36 am 
Nifty Admin of Doom
Nifty Admin of Doom
I accidentally read all the way to Dr. Lorna...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 pm 
AOL: Pug+Smasher
Dang, a bit late to the party, but I'm totally down for an archive trawl -- even if I did already re-read the whole comic a year ago.

Aaaah the Ranma shirt, I totally forgot that it was Sluggy of all things that introduced me to Ranma 1/2! Good times!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
dotwarner wrote:
I accidentally read all the way to Dr. Lorna...

You must share with us your time travel powers... Together we Sluggites can go back in time and have all sorts of awesome time travel related mishaps!

I haven't started reading yet. Between school and work I've just been too busy. But spring break is next week so I'll be able to get caught up.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat