Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Love and in love
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 am 
I just thought: What if the orders from Steven Hereti really did make Oasis fall in love with Torg?
So Oasis isn't brainwashed to think she is in love - she actually is.

What I get this from is that falling in love is basically a chemical reaction in the brain, a non-rational desire, a compulsion.
Not that the mind doesn't try to justify the emotion it certainly does ("he gave me flowers...") - with a very rosy and unrealistic picture of the beloved and the life you could have together.

So as I see it, the only difference between Oasis and everyone else was that someone chose who she should fall in love with. The emotions are just as authentic as any other young girl in love.

And btw. loving someone is different - choosing to stay in a relationship even after the first emotional rush have dissipated, because you rationally realise that you are good for each other, and decided to put in the effort to continuously improving the relationship.

Post subject: Re: Love and in love
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:10 am 
migB wrote:
I just thought: What if the orders from Steven Hereti really did make Oasis fall in love with Torg?
So Oasis isn't brainwashed to think she is in love - she actually is.

You'd never be able to tell. She's been assigned an emotion, basically. And it'll forever be true, unless she can change over time. It's as real to her as it is to anyone else. Except she doesn't have the freedom to fall out of love, or to have those feelings decline. Or take a break. It's always set to high, and it must be killing her on the inside.

What is love but a neuro-chemical con job (if you ask a neuroscientist)?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:16 am 
She might still be obeying orders. Maybe someone will tell her to stop loving Torg before this section ends?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:49 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
It's as real to her as it is to anyone else. Except she doesn't have the freedom to fall out of love, or to have those feelings decline. Or take a break. It's always set to high, and it must be killing her on the inside.

What is love but a neuro-chemical con job (if you ask a neuroscientist)?

For ordinary people, being in love will fade within a few months (maybe 6? can't remember exactly) of being in a relationship with the beloved. However, if the relationship never happens, it varies how long the state of being in love continues - with no upper limit...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:56 am 
Torg I think is not just some random person Herenti tol dOasis to love. The family thing, the way she developed love of the free will but still that overriding Torg love.... plus she obviously heals like Sasha, Kurasi ... or Torg.

My guess is that Trog is family in some way to her.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:53 am 
Marcus wrote:
Torg I think is not just some random person Dr. Steve told Oasis to love. The family thing, the way she developed love of the free will but still that overriding Torg love… plus she obviously heals like Sasha, Kurasi … or Torg.

My guess is that Torg is family in some way to her.

Wait, where do Sasha and Torg demonstrate such healing abilities? And, er… Oasis doesn't have gigantic eyes. Sasha does seem to have eyes that big though.

But I would LOL if Sasha actually was Torg's sister.

(Edit: given this comic, where we get a nice side-by-side close-up of Torg and Sasha: eye size, hair color, approx. height, and general facial layout all MATCH! Let me go draft up a post about this.)

And yes, this is, in fact, one of the many theories in W.O.H.P.A.O.H.

Last edited by Pied Typer on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:13 pm 
Pied Typer wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Torg I think is not just some random person Dr. Steve told Oasis to love. The family thing, the way she developed love of the free will but still that overriding Torg love… plus she obviously heals like Sasha, Kurasi … or Torg.

My guess is that Trog is family in some way to her.

Wait, where do Sasha and Torg demonstrate such healing abilities? And, er… Oasis doesn't have gigantic eyes. Sasha does seem to have eyes that big though.

(Edit: given this comic, where we get a nice side-by-side close-up of Torg and Sasha: eye size, hair color, approx. height, and general facial layout all MATCH! Let me go draft up a post about this.)

Back when Torg and Sasha blew up I think NoFun, Torg copped a lot of shrapnel in the back from the EMP, Sasha was shot. Both said it wasnt that bad. Both were back on their feet suspciously fast tho - Pete kinda lampshaded it, it's all subtle enough to be missed (an dalso I can be wrong) but it's still something to think about.

I think that particular episode will return as a reference if Torg and Sasha are revealed to be more than human. I mean, I've thought for a while Torg is even more than what he seemed (and we get glimpses of it, and we know he not just a goofy idiot witht he way he can paln and strategize - there's a lot more lurking under the surface and clearly more purpose as well, what being wanted to finish the Triangle along with Oassis and also the Spiders being especially keen on what he does in relation to Oasis)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:23 pm 
Marcus wrote:
Pied Typer wrote:
Marcus wrote:

My guess is that Torg is family in some way to her.

Back when Torg and Sasha blew up I think NoFun, Torg copped a lot of shrapnel in the back from the EMP, Sasha was shot. Both said it wasn't that bad. Both were back on their feet suspciously fast though - Pete kinda lampshaded it, it's all subtle enough to be missed (and also I can be wrong) but it's still something to think about.

I think that particular episode will return as a reference if Torg and Sasha are revealed to be more than human. I mean, I've thought for a while Torg is even more than what he seemed (and we get glimpses of it, and we know he not just a goofy idiot with the way he can plan and strategize - there's a lot more lurking under the surface and clearly more purpose as well, what being wanted to finish the Triangle along with Oasis and also the Spiders being especially keen on what he does in relation to Oasis)

Let me just link those for you. Though the EMP was designed to minimize damage, it was albeit with not very good results. Though Sasha claims it was just a graze, if it was bleeding profusely enough to coat Sam's hands with blood as well as cause her to faint within seconds, it was almost definitely not.

Side note: I notice you're making a lot of random typos (which, for the record, I am fixing when I quote). Are you by chance on a phone?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:58 am 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
The EMP isn't about shrapnel, Torg got a good zapping is all. He does tend to get injured a lot and still show them panels later, Sasha is the one who recovers at lightning speed and knows more than she should.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:21 pm 
The main problem isn't the love, it's her insane and violent reactions to that love, possibly caused by the "giddy as a schoolgirl" command. The one that she interprets differently in every incarnation because she was never a schoolgirl and seems to have no idea what it means beyond that she should act irrationally.
Torg might be able to make some real difference in her personality by exposing her to lots of schoolgirls, so she could learn to follow the order better.

And, yeah, I thought Sasha died there and then came back to life. Something's screwy, IMO.

It's hard to tell about Torg. Like Riff, he has main character plot armor and rapid gag healing/Loony Toons style status recovery to deal with Bunbun. He seems to take increased and more permanent damage from other sources. We can't really tell if he's something other than human or not.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:19 am 
Silly Green Monkey wrote:
The EMP isn't about shrapnel, Torg got a good zapping is all. He does tend to get injured a lot and still show them panels later, Sasha is the one who recovers at lightning speed and knows more than she should.

Humans are relatively immune to EMP pulses - the bomb in question DID have a lot of shrapnel however and is striking Torg's back

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:47 pm 
OrzBrain wrote:
Torg might be able to make some real difference in her personality by exposing her to lots of schoolgirls, so she could learn to follow the order better.

Hah, I like this. Don't change the order, change the meaning of the order. Do you do any statistical modeling? ;)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:08 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
Marcus wrote:
Silly Green Monkey wrote:

Humans are relatively immune to EMP pulses - the bomb in question DID have a lot of shrapnel however and is striking Torg's back

Torg doesn't act like he's being stabbed, however, which is what shrapnel would do. He acts like he suffered a strong electrical shock.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat