Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 pm 
Hi, this is "Captain" 20 Plus of the Sluggy 20+ dev team. This thread is for tech support, questions, hassles and website-related emergencies.

You can also email [email protected] if you think something isn't working right or you've discovered a bug. :kzk:

We will not be answering any what's-to-come questions here, or lifting the curtain on anything before it's ready. But as things roll out, if you experience any technical issues or you don't understand how something's supposed to work, this is the place to ask somebody to look into it. The future of Sluggy is SOOOON!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 am 
Hi Captain!

Pete mentioned in the news post that the forums will mostly stay untouched
Spoiler: show
besides the quality of life stuff and various cosmetic features phpbb automatically supports out of the box, hehe

I just wanted to get some confirmation on that, since I remember when theForce.net decided to revamp their site back in I think 2011, it resulted in irretrievably truncating thousands of forum posts older than a certain date. I...seriously doubt you'd do anything that would lead to a result that severe, but it never hurts to double check :P

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 am 
Yep, these forums will stay more or less as they are. No posts lost, only spam accounts removed, same mods, same structure. Only now, your forums login will also log you into the store, Defenders, and anything else on the site. Things will be better looking and better integrated, with focus on better archives and a few new features, and ofc the new Defenders 20+ system, still under wraps.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:36 am 
I just like hearing that Pete has a team behind him now. Quite frankly, I'm just shocked he isn't using a minion master joke here.
(Unintentional request: update the available smileys. Lol)

The main point I wanted to make -- update the security on here! Everytime I login to the boards, chrome warns me that this is unsecure. Forgiveable for a simple forum. Definitely important if you link it to the store.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:51 pm 
It's in the works. One of us does risk consulting for a major app security firm, and we know about the expired cert messages in the forums, etc. It would have been a pain to fix the cert warnings in here before rollout, but you won't see those after we move everything to the same host and put the store and main website (and single login) under SSL. Forums will remain http, but will not warn on security because no users will have to log in here. No "secure" fields will be used by the forums module at all (nothing to protect means nothing to warn about).

We did actually find a major security flaw in the existing site architecture and fix it though, just a couple of weeks before practically every site on the web with an older version of Mongo DB got hit and compromised. So that was a bullet we were proud to help Sluggy dodge. But we don't think there have been any other potential threats worth a fret.

Also, the store (since you mentioned it) has been upgraded to XCart 5 from XCart 4, which we did in part for the new security features. The new Sluggy store will roll out with the site, but won't be open for business until sometime in September.

More forum smilies are planned, yep. And Pete as Minion Master, eh? Hmm. Image

...Yeah, I could see it.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:02 pm 
Nicely done! I didn't realize Pete's team had gotten so large. That would definitely explain why everything is taking so long and why he's so excited!

I've got nothing to add then, and will rest easy knowing that Pete is in your hands. Or you're in his hands. Just don't get handsy. He's a married man!
(Yes, we're protective of our little Pete. All grown up now! *sobs*)

Looking forward to seeing all the hard work!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:55 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Trying to post a new topic in Reactions but I keep getting this error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Unknown column 'attached_page_id' in 'field list' [1054]

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:58 am 
Where's "|< first < prev next > last >|" buttons on main site? Any sane web comic should have them.

On forum, smiles don't work:
Code:
No route found for "GET /images/smilies/lilkiki.gif"

This error when I tried to post this post:
Code:
504 Gateway Timeout

Also code blocks are too big/too high.

Last edited by VcSaJen on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:00 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Trying to post a new topic in Reactions but I keep getting this error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Unknown column 'attached_page_id' in 'field list' [1054]

Yep, we're on it. Pete's even helping test as we speak.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:44 am 
So, I presume that the web team working on the new site is the same one that works on Erfworld (and not just because of the similar pledging structure and overall site design) since it litterally says 'Erfworld Login' as a page title if you click 'Account Settings' in your profile. I'll send this to the [email protected] email too

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:14 am 
Hey, the little Pawnz guys are 3D, that's cute!

Quality of life: the forum threads are missing page numbers to click on. Probably turned off by default in this theme

General Comic Layout Question: while the new archive is nice and all, the lack of navigation buttons under the front page comic makes it feel a little isolated. With Pete updating less frequently, going back a couple updates to refresh what's going on will be necessary now more than ever. Even just a link that dumps you straight into the archive stack on the latest update would be enough, I think.

On that note, is there still a way to navigate by date, or does it only go by book-chapter-subchapter now?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
General Comic Layout Question: while the new archive is nice and all, the lack of navigation buttons under the front page comic makes it feel a little isolated...
On that note, is there still a way to navigate by date, or does it only go by book-chapter-subchapter now?

I have the same question.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 am 
Hi there

I still had 10 months left on my Defenders subscription on the old site before it went down. I remember Pete made a post on the old Defenders area saying that he would be working on a way to make the old sub carry forward in some way, so it wasn't lost.

Just checking if there are still plans for that, as we haven't heard anything, not even a "hey we're working on it, hold tight".

(Small disclaimer: just because I'm pointing out a problem doesn't mean that I don't like the new site and all of the effort you all put into it ^_^;;)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
General Comic Layout Question: while the new archive is nice and all, the lack of navigation buttons under the front page comic makes it feel a little isolated...

Posting for the first time in I don't know how long (definitely years) to add another loud cry for navigation buttons. Also should mention that while the whole "virtual book" nav system for the archives looks all shiny, it's very sluggish and slow to respond on my ~4 year old tablet. I don't think I missed a comic, but ther was no practical way to go check the most recent few. :( Considering that Sluggy was one of the first comic I read to offer a weekly view of the archives (a very handy feature for playing catch-up), I was a bit surprised by the lack of even a basic "back" button.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:56 pm 
pooga wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

Posting for the first time in I don't know how long (definitely years) to add another loud cry for navigation buttons. Also should mention that while the whole "virtual book" nav system for the archives looks all shiny, it's very sluggish and slow to respond on my ~4 year old tablet. I don't think I missed a comic, but ther was no practical way to go check the most recent few. :( Considering that Sluggy was one of the first comic I read to offer a weekly view of the archives (a very handy feature for playing catch-up), I was a bit surprised by the lack of even a basic "back" button.

Same on the PLEASE BRING IN NAVIGATION BUTTONS!!!! (or calendar, or SOMETHING)
I did figure out that you could click through the archive pages (which are horribly slow even on a laptop) to the beginning of a chapter and then change the date in the navigation bar to being a date a comic did appear on you could get to one. But if you typed in a date when there was not a new update it would take you back to the first page of the chapter.

Please please please bring back simpler methods for navigation from one page to the next.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat