Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions

Post subject: Greetings
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:02 pm 
Fellow mortals,

First, happy Groundhog day! Here, let me see if ol' Pux Phil sees his shadow. Let me reach down here. Uh... Oh my.

Does this mean six more weeks of. um. Can I get a ruling on this?

Second, I began reading Sluggy back in '98 or so, then stopped in 2002 (because of a job believe it or not). I was pleased to discover Sluggy was alive and healthy a few months ago. I just finished catching up. Great story lines. Plodding towards resolution (in reading it all at once, the only storyline I got impatient with was Worlds of Yarncraft. Sorry, but it dragged). Then Torg got reinvented ("That Which Redeems"). Then Zoe had a revelation (Yaayyy!), then died (Nooooooo!), and was returned to us in a Masterful storyline ("4U City"). Lots of side roads, yes. I'd mention them all but I expect you don't need another cheerleader. They're entertaining and, I know there are those who will disagree, they're drawing the story together like the threads of the fate spider (I can see it, I think).

Ok, it's clear I like this comic and I'm rooting for Torg and Zoe, Riff and... well I thought Sasha, but maybe Iggy after all. And Crushy and... Slaw?

To those who think resolving this romantic tension spells the end of the comic, I disagree. I want to see Torg and Zoe taking their kids trick or treating and making an unintended side trip or two. I want to see that female version of Torg from the dimension of gender-swap turn into their daughter (ok, it might take a while to get to the teenage phase). I want to see Riff misunderstanding the purpose of a vaporizer.

I'm happy to join the community, and thanks for listenin'.

l'z'k (These are not the demons you're looking for)

Post subject: Re: Greetings
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Hello and welcome to the forum l'z'k.

I will tell you that there is a super secret tradition that we do to newcomers, but...it's super secret, so... Though there's probably somebody who can't keep their lips sealed and will blab it all to you. They just can't stop picking at their staples or stitches for some reason.

Anyway... We can always use more cheerleaders. And why would you torture their daughter by having her look like that?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:40 pm 
Oh? What sort of traditions? Make the new-guy-buy-the-donuts traditions? Force-him-onstage-during-open-mike-night at Crystals? I think I have some preemptive poetry in my emergency pants...

Come gather my children, and you shall hear
Of Riff's DFA's :riff: , and Bun-bun-fear :bunbun:
T'was twenty-fifth of August, in Ninty-Seven
Who'd have thought it was Sluggy heaven?

And who's Sluggy Freelance? (my wife keeps askin')
Is he there 'tween the switch-blades and lasers blastin'?
Torg, :torg: giving a necklace to Zoe :zoe: was rash,
When just sayin' "schupid" would show off her.. camel.

Dang. I'm no good at this. :bert:

I only saw the teaser strip from a few months ago where Pete said drawing that DFA adventure in the gender-swap dimension was a lot of fun. The idea of Torg and Zoe having a bubble-headed blond daughter just appeals for some reason. Nothing to do with my own daughter, nosiree. No. Uh uh. Nada.

(Seems to me Pete is likely to have some real-life inspiration there himself one of these days)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:36 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Nicely done sir. I feel oddly compelled to give you a gift. I have this Torg doll here. It was mine from when I was younger. It's a bit old though. If you want it, it's yours.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 pm 
Alright, who blabbed? I have the needle and thread with me right now to fix the leak.

Fine...

I guess I'll give you a gift then. Here's a doll of Zoe...as a camel.

Everybody knows Torg only loved Zoe because she could turn into a camel. But now... He'll have to settle for red-headed children instead.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:55 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
*hiding needle nosed pliers*

Welcome Lizkey!

I have a gift. It's a life sized Bun Bun toy with fully functional murderous switchblade action. Look at the glint on that razor sharp edge. I should warn you though that once it's turned on it can be a bit tricky to get close enough to turn it off again.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:40 am 
A Torg doll, a Zoe camel, and a plush, if somewhat jagged-looking Bun-bun! I am overwhelmed! I shall treasure them. I'll treasure them right over HERE, next to my model of e'ville. See the model train? I particularly like the model downtown. See,there's Le Snootier, and the exotic pet shop, and those tiny prisoners, tied to the railroad tracks. Over by the boarded-up government lab, you can see the papers and computers and phone-book of e'ville in the abandoned office! Such detail!

Over here is a model of my house, just outside of town, along a dark and twisty lane, in that little farmhouse there, where I live with my kittens. I used to have neighbors, but the house disappeared one night a few years ago, all that's left is some old outbuildings, a mailbox, and their old silo, leaning drunklenly over my property line, right over my house.

Ouch! Hey, I didn't see those needles in those dolls. Do you guys need them back? Funny, I feel... dizzy.

L'z'k

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:13 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
I have for a you a pe... crap that was poetry wasn't it? I guess instead I will give you this blank peice of paper that is ready for you to start writing your own web comic. I am not sure how you are going to post paper online, but if anyone can do it I suppose you could... couldn't you?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 am 
I need to turn on some lights. Been here only a few days and I'm already attracting grues.

Grues bearing paper. Well, one anyway, and he seems rather agitated, gesturing at my toy train set and village and gnashing his teeth.

Very well, I promise to not mention my model 'ville until next time.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:41 am 
Like the name Hmm... I wonder, though how a voweless demon would fare against a barn of kittens spawned by the Prince of Hell?

Nice poem, and very nice to see a VERY longtime fan hitting this place with glee (you beat me by 2 years, I am humbled).

For what its worth, I've always sort of grumbled about the poetry tradition and never actually pestered folks myself. That said, I have decided I will break tradition just this once, and point out a question to the Admins. I COULD have sworn, ages past that the poetry was specifically a Haiku. Am I tripping, or has that rule simply faded away in recent times? I say this, quite self-sacrificially on the principal of the thing because if I am right, it could open up renewed pestering to half, if not more of our membership due to invalid entry poetry.

Oh, and while pestering has never been my thing, a gift-giving style that can only be described as combining the sadism of Bun Bun and the strangeness if Crazy Uncle Time HAS been my thing. So, just in case the initial foreshadowing wasn't enough, I hereby give you...

A MILK SHORTAGE. Enjoy!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 am 
Actually, it has always been poetry of any type. The misconception that it had to a haiku, came about because...a lot of people would write haiku.

Haiku are a little easier to write than some of the other forms of poetry. Which is attractive to new members. And if enough people keep doing the same thing over and over, they tend to think that's the tradition.

The only real tradition around here is the pestering of newcomers for poetry.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm 
Goatlord42 wrote:
Like the name Hmm... I wonder, though how a voweless demon would fare against a barn of kittens spawned by the Prince of Hell?

Yes, I come from a vowel-impoverished culture. I was constantly laughed at by the other daemons as a kid (I'm part goat).

Goatlord42 wrote:
I hereby give you...

A MILK SHORTAGE. Enjoy!

HA! I'm in no danger, as long as there's a constant supply of bad puns around... to milk.

'course, if the quality of discourse around here goes up, I'm in trouble.

Zillatain wrote:
Actually, it has always been poetry of any type. The misconception that it had to a haiku, came about because...a lot of people would write haiku.

Haiku are a little easier to write than some of the other forms of poetry. Which is attractive to new members. And if enough people keep doing the same thing over and over, they tend to think that's the tradition.

The only real tradition around here is the pestering of newcomers for poetry.

Oh oh....

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions