Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:50 pm 
Hello! I am the Pied Typer! I would put a reference link here but I am seemingly forbidden from BBCode so… wtf

My accomplishments for today:
  • I wiped out on my bike! What fun. Now I look like I was attacked by a zombie.
  • I finished the archives. 'Tis the Ceremony of Sluggitehood, taking 2 months to read through the entire archives.
  • I made this cool rainbow flag. I like SVGs.

The things I noticed about this board, because I will always compare new phpBB forums I join to other ones:
  • This one has sub-par administration, apparently not knowing about that Newly Registered Users group that can be used, or that post approval can be applied to any forum, in addition to having no obvious rules.
  • I happen to notice that Defenders of the Nifty does not have its own group. It would be pretty cool if they got to brag about it on the forums with some colorful name.
  • You know what? I like the default smilies.
  • Seriously? No BBCode? Why? I'm going to defy this notion by posting this as raw code.

Finally, some ideas that I had:
  • In theory, Zoë still has that biochip thing from 4U City, right? I shudder to imagine what might happen if Riff figured out how to decode the files on them. Like, y'know, cloning.
  • I want to see Oasis finding out that Zoë and Riff are both still alive. The exchange of dialogue would be hilarious.
  • Wouldn't the D.F.A. counter be the return-remote?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:08 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Welcome to the forum Pied Typer...though you seem to dislike things about it. So I'm going to do the "mirror method"

I've made you a full member now since you don't appear to be a spammer, so you can ref link and BBCode all you want now.

Accomplishments:
  • No, you were attacked by a zombie. Don't give us this "wiped out on your bike" nonsense! Be proud of your accomplishments.
  • Two months?! A true Sluggite would of done that in half that time!
  • Cool.

Noticed:
  • Yes, post approval could be for any forum, but it is deliberately set to only be for Introductions. It is part of the a spam prevention method. I'm not sure exactly what your Newly Registered Users group complaint is. Yes the rules are somewhat hard to find. Here's the Community Standards.
  • Yes it would be interesting if the the defenders had their own group, but I can think of some problems that could come about.
  • That's nice to hear that you like the smilies. Though people wish Pete would add more.
  • Sorry, your defiance no longer works.

Ideas:
  • It would be odd for Old Riff to leave it intact. If I remember, he zapped Riff so that anything he was trying to smuggle back to Sluggy Prime would be destroyed.
  • Her finding out that they are alive would be interesting. But does she know that she "killed" them? She was in bad shape when she used her power. If I am remembering correctly.
  • I think the DFA remote only worked with a particular DFA.

Pesterers:
  • They will bug you for original poetry written and created by you. Usually a haiku is fine.
  • If you give them poetry, they may give you a gift in return. It may only be mildly fatal.
  • The tradition is the pestering of newcomers, not the poetry. Poetry is not required. Unless you want a gift.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:58 am 
Zillatain wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what your Newly Registered Users group complaint is.

The Newly Registered Users group is an optional group that all new users are added to and automatically leave once an arbitrary post count is reached. It seems to be exactly what you're trying to do here.
Quote:
That's nice to hear that you like the smilies. Though people wish Pete would add more.

I actually meant, er... the default phpBB smilies, but whatever.
Quote:
It would be odd for Old Riff to leave it intact. If I remember, he zapped Riff so that anything he was trying to smuggle back to Sluggy Prime would be destroyed.

Just Riff though. It was never mentioned what they did with Zoë before bringing her back; they could have done anything. Because it's never shown and Old Riff's D.F.A. can go to any point in a dimension's timeline after the last observed point. Hell, it could have been the next city-wide reboot for all we know. Anyway, you also just gave me an idea of how to refer to the "main dimension".
Quote:
Her finding out that they are alive would be interesting. But does she know that she "killed" them? She was in bad shape when she used her power. If I am remembering correctly.

Ah, yes… she had just been hit with Riff's "sleep-chaf". She probably didn't see the robot exploding, but she might have heard the explosion. That's kind of easy to do with explosions.
Quote:
I think the DFA remote only worked with a particular DFA.

In theory, though, it could be connected to any DFA; for example, if Riff created a few for the Black Ops Elves, and distributed the remotes to them, made them sensitive to dimensional travel (so that stuff like this doesn't happen), and automatically bring them back… that would render Hereti-Corp.'s DFAs pretty ineffective.
Quote:
Pesterers:
  • They will bug you for original poetry written and created by you. Usually a haiku is fine.
  • If you give them poetry, they may give you a gift in return. It may only be mildly fatal.
  • The tradition is the pestering of newcomers, not the poetry. Poetry is not required. Unless you want a gift.

I'll have to read through some of the other intro threads to get an idea of what they're typically like, and then decide if it's worth it. I'm not very good at writing poetry.

Anyway, now that I can see the list of BBCodes, I have a few suggestions:
  • [ref={NUMBER}]{TEXT}[/ref] => <a href="/comics/archives/daily/{NUMBER}" target="_blank">{TEXT}</a>
  • A [spoiler] tag. The implementation of this varies between boards, but the general concept is that it creates a button to show and hide enclosed text. Useful for posting large images without cluttering the page.
  • [s]{TEXT}[/s] => <s>{TEXT}</s>
  • [anchor]{IDENTIFIER}[/anchor] => <a name="{IDENTIFIER}"/>

Edit: here's my own [spoiler] implementation (using [spoiler="{TEXT1}"]{TEXT2}[/spoiler]):
Code:
<div style="margin:5px; margin-top:5px">
<button class="button2 btnlite" type="button" style="text-align:center;width:100px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onclick="var spoilered=this.parentNode.querySelector('div');spoilered.style.display=spoilered.style.display==''?'none':''">{TEXT1}</button>
<div style="display:none">{TEXT2}</div>
</div>

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:20 am 
Oh, I usually don't mess with the smilies all that much, so I didn't give it much thought that regular ones were still around.

It would be odd that he didn't do something about Zoe's biochip. But you never know. Yeah the main one in the forum is usually called Sluggy Prime, and the other one was referred to as Dimension of Rain (DoR). There are other ones, like Dimension of Lame (DoL), Dimension of Ghouls (DoG), and I think there were others but I can't think of them right now.

As for the DFAs... Only Pete knows for sure.

As for the BBCode... I've wanted Strikethrough for as long as I can remember and lots of people wish we had Spoiler. At this point, about the only way we would get those is if the forum was updated to a newer version. Maybe. Who knows, when Pete "retires" something might happen.

As for the Pesterers... Most of them are dead, undead, zombies (Zesters?), vapor, or playing hooky. I wouldn't worry about it. Though haiku are not that hard...though that is my opinion.

Pester new people
Newbies ignore the weird spiel
This haiku does suck

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:42 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
As for the BBCode... I've wanted Strikethrough for as long as I can remember and lots of people wish we had Spoiler. At this point, about the only way we would get those is if the forum was updated to a newer version. Maybe. Who knows, when Pete "retires" something might happen.

Actually, phpBB 3.0 allows custom BBCodes to be added through the ACP. It's in the phpBB Admin Guide as well as the BBCode guide that this can be done.

As for dimensions, in order of first appearance/mention from my recollection:
  1. Sluggy Prime
  2. Sci-fi dimension
  3. Gender-Swap Dimension (from Zombies Want Our Women)
  4. Dimension of Pain
  5. Dimension of Lame
  6. Portugese Dimension
  7. Dimension of Grief
  8. Punyverse
  9. Dimension of Sham-Pain
  10. Dimension of Ghouls
  11. Dimension of Lambada-Dancing Cheerleaders (where DoG Torg and Riff ended up)
  12. Dimension of Rain
  13. High-Tech Dimension (where DoR Riff went after the Mk-19 explosion)
  14. Fantasy Dimension (from The Fate of Blinky and Clyde)
  15. ??? Dimension (from The Fate of Thawtypopo)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:39 am 
OK, here's some haiku:

phpBB
allows custom BBCodes
could you add them please

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 am 
Hello.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:06 pm 
Uh oh, I see you put up some poetry... That demands a gift!

Well, I can't give you any of your true wishes, nor due to the current Admin situation, shall we say...um...uncertainty, can she. Hmm, yeah, that would probably be an apt descriptor.

So instead, I'll give what's been stuck in a space in my boot tread for the last few weeks. It's a...I'm not sure. It does growl a bit when you poke it and it seems to eat copper, iron, and things made of carbon for sustenance. Oddly, it will only eat copper and iron in mostly large concentrations, but for the carbon it will voraciously eat anything that only contains 17 to 19 percent carbon. So feeding it might be a problem since it is so picky.

Don't know much else about it. It can take extreme pressure and complete vacuum for days on end. Though it does seem to enjoy being "petted" with an arc-welder.

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions