Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ] 

Post subject: Re: Strange Dreams
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Reminds me of a nightmare I was having, in which terrible clawed, furry demon things kept popping out at me. I believe they were after my soul, and had to burrow into my chest to get to it. I screamed and batted them away as I ran through the woods.

Apparently, I was muttering and tossing in my sleep during this dream. My sister woke up from the tossing, and threw her head over the side of the bunk bed and loudly asked "What's wrong, WW?" My eyes popped open, I screamed and I batted her on the nose. Then I dropped back to sleep while my sister cursed my name loudly.

The next morning I got a lot of flack from her as I shared my freaky dream. I have no memory of smacking her.

Not the first or last time my nightmares came to life in the real world. Siblings, parents and Ridcully have all reported that I talk, scream, and flail in my sleep sometimes.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
I still remember one dream... where if I just focused my mind just right, and allowed a kind of euphoria to come over me, I could levitate my body a few feet off of the floor. What makes it interesting is that even now I feel like I could do it again if I really wanted to.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:13 pm 
As a kid, I dreamt once that I was climbing way up into the nosebleed seats of a huge empty stadium. As I climbed, the air got thinner and thinner until I couldn't breathe at all. I woke up, terrified, to find my quilt wrapped tightly around my head.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:10 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
I used to have falling dreams a lot as a kid, but haven't had one in years. I also had regular driving dreams until I actually learned to drive.

Lately, I've found that dreaming about eating is a surprisingly good indication that my blood sugar is dropping and I need to chow down some Smarties before I doze back off.

In particularly strange dreams news, the other night I had a dream wherein I argued with great fervor and conviction that Fisher Stevens is Matthew Perry's doppelganger, albeit slightly older.

Image Image

... yeah.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:28 pm 
Hah!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I once dreamt I could fly. I had big black leathery wings and had to run a few meters up a wall to launch myself. The next day my shoulder blades ached as if missing those wonderful wings.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 am 
AOL: nightflyer87
Okay, correction to my prediction. The dream wasn't predicting WWIII (though it still may be), but was instead predicting my grandpa's death.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
Are you saying....your grandfather wasn't dead, but is now? I'm so sorry.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:10 pm 
AOL: nightflyer87
Silly Green Monkey wrote:
Are you saying....your grandfather wasn't dead, but is now? I'm so sorry.

Yeah, he passed over night. I found out this morning on the way to drop my son off at daycare. And thank you. I'm just lucky I found a guy who was willing to leave work to make sure I was alright and take care of everything with the installers even if his job made it impossible for him to leave.

As far as dreams go, I had a recurring one when I was pregnant that I had caught a break and became a famous singer. I came up with an entire song in my head specifically for my grandpa. I really wish I could remember it now.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:12 pm 
Pinching yourself to check if you are dreaming, does not work. I had one of thoose repeatedly waking up, and then finding out you are still dreaming, to wake up again dreams, and in one iteration i pinched myself to check, but all i got was some sensation, but i could not remember how it felt, when i had last pinched myself while awake, to compare.

An other time i dreamed that that some sort of mental illness befell many people, so they mixed up things and used the wrong items ect. (In the dream, that was a quite normal thing to happen, nothing out of the ordinary). In the park i did see an old woman, who was "walking" a towel on a leash, and for some reason, i wanted to know, what sort of dog, she thinks she is walking. I asked here what race the dog was, and she answered with some race i did not know. So i asked her, how dogs of that race look like, but she only telling me "like my dog here" and would not describe how it looked, which was very frustrating.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:07 pm 
Ah, the only really unique and epic dream I can remember. Let's see how good my storytelling skills are. Here goes.

Warning: Extremely nightmarish stuff ahead, including death, blood, and aliens (the Xenomorph kind)! You were warned.

It is raining.

Clad in my hospital scrubs I stood by my fellow doctor, staring out the window into the dark night. The occasional flash of lightning illuminated the barest hints of the landscape around the building. We stood there and look out for a long while, until suddenly there is a noise and we turn around as one.

In the long low room in which we found ourselves there are tables and stretchers covered with all manner of colorful, bright stuffed animals, of every shape and size imaginable. Hidden beneath this cornucopia of stuffing and fabric lie cadavers, all withered and preserved in their shriveled glory. As the two of us searched for the source of the odd thumping noise one of the cadavers jerked, the dessicated chest cavity bulging and coming off of the stretcher repeatedly until the dry skin under the solar plexus burst apart in a spray of congealed blood. Poking out of the hole in the chest was what appeared to be an eyeless snake, off-white in color and smooth-skinned. It's head was rounded and smooth with the only discernible feature being a mouth full of jagged, metallic-looking teeth. The head of the monster turned toward where we stood, rooted to the spot in terror. Somehow we both knew that this thing knew exactly where we were, even though it lacked eyes. With a high-pitched screech it seemed to fly out of the dead man's chest and latched its jaws around the tender throat of my colleague. He staggered and choked out a scream as blood began to run from his mouth and neck while the thing wriggled and tried to sink its teeth deeper into his flesh. He reached out an arm towards me, begging me for help. I looked at him as he mouthed out words to me, already paling from the blood loss. He was dead, I knew that even before the thing, now revealed to have a long, thin body ending in a pointed tail with no limbs, wrenched its head around and tore his throat out, spraying the area with blood.

So I ran.

I ran through the room even as the dozens of corpses began twitching just as the first did. I ran through the double doors as I heard the screeching wails behind me, sounding for all the world like the chorus of the dammed. I ran down a stark empty hallway, feet squeaking against the tiled floor, until I reached the staircase. I leapt down the stairs, desperate to get away from the horrors behind me, no matter what lay ahead. Whatever I was expecting when I reached the bottom of the stairs and flew past the doors, I certainly wasn't expecting the sight that greeted me.

It was a long huge hallway, interspersed with large red pillars that stretched towards the flat, uneven ceiling. One side was taken up almost entirely by windows, which showed the storm to still be raging outside, the other an almost solid brick wall, with a few alcoves cut into it. I knew this place, it was like a larger than life version of my high school's main hallway, what was I doing here?

My shock wore off seconds later as I remembered what I was fleeing from and turned to run, but was cut short by a shriek from up ahead. Pouring out of doors were hundreds of people, none of whom I recognized, and they were running from...

The mind-numbing horror of the creatures surpassed that of the previous monsters by a longshot. They were two meters in height, bipedal, although several of them ran on all fours or scaled the walls like giant demonic spiders. They were pitch-black, covered in some sort of iridescent, chitinous armor. They possessed long prehensile tails, ribbed along the length and ending in short stinger-like structures. Their heads were in the shapes of large dark bananas and possessed a large mouth filled with translucent teeth that dripped with some sort of clear slobber. Within the first mouth lurked a second, smaller set of jaws on a retractable rod. The monsters screamed, a hideous, high-pitched hissing that seemed likely to drive one mad.

As I stared they leapt from the walls or from further behind the ground and pounced on an unfortunate victim. They did... unspeakable things to them before killing them and going after a new victim.

I was paralyzed, terrified beyond all rational thought as the clamoring mob drew closer. One of the monsters spotted me and scuttled along the wall towards where I stood, still as stone. As it were my reflexes were the only thing that saved me. Acting at the last minute, I jumped forward into an open door sealed in an alcove and with the last of my will kicked the heavy iron door shut. Then I promptly fainted.

When I awoke things were different. My vision was filled with a sort of heads-up display, with soft glowing readouts feeding me data that I didn't understand. I brought my hands up to my face to wipe my eyes but was surprised to see that they were encased in metallic gloves. Looking down at myself I realized that my whole body was encased in a solid, dark-green casing of powered armor, made up of overlapping plates of dark-green metal. I glanced around the surprisingly empty concrete room and spotted a mirror. The armor looked fairly standard, not a lot of glowing parts, segmented metal providing total protection for my body and all that. However instead of a faceless helmet the front was done up in an ornate style, with the metal having been shaped to provide a fierce mask, something that wouldn't have looked out of place on an ancient hunter stalking prey. Another interesting thing was that from the helmet sprouted long black strands of pointed hair, much like dreadlocks. I also noticed that my wrist-guards bulged considerably, perhaps concealing weapons or computers. At the thought there was a metallic ringing and four long blades erupted from the back of my wrists, two on each arm. I stared, and after a moment wondered how I would make them go away. In response to this they retracted. I practiced this for a few moments, extending and retracting the blades until it became almost instinctive. I then took stock of everything else. There was a long thin rifle strapped to my back, and a shotgun lay on the ground nearby. At my waist were two purple-ish devices with grips like a weapon, that glowed with a soft white-blue light.

Feeling a lot safer with my new armor and now heavily armed, I picked up the shotgun and walked over to the closed door. With one booted foot I kicked it open and observed the scene.

I must not have been out for too long, for there were still people outside, screaming and running every which way though their numbers were greatly diminished. Some of them had decided to fight back, as many now sported rifles and shotguns, and the cracks of gunfire could be heard above the screaming and roaring of the monsters. With no time left as several of the abominations charged, I lifted my shotgun and entered the fray.

The battle was long and intense, I can barely remember it after the fact. Vague recollections of automatic shotgun fire blasting a horde of the monsters apart; gutting one of them with the wrist-blades of my right hand while my other held the shotgun rock-steady, keeping the aliens at bay from a group of terrified survivors; fighting hand-to-claw while leaping from rafter to rafter while the other armed members, who had rallied to me once I started carving up the opposition, laid down suppressing fire; and a few other memories are all I have left from that slaughter. At last however, it was over, and the ragged survivors and I surveyed the corpse-strewn, blood-soaked battlefield and cheered. The nightmare was over.

At least that's what we thought.

As we rounded the corner we saw one last creature at the end of a long hallway. This one was different, it was taller, and more heavily built than the others, possessing a much shorter head (without eyes) that sprouted several tendrils from the back of it, much like my own. Around it's mouth were four finger-like projections, that clawed at the air as if to draw prey into the small, fang-filled mouth. It stared at us and uttered a low, guttural growl that shook up several of the already shell-shocked survivors. I needed no invitation, dropping to one knee my shotgun fell to the ground with a clatter as I brought my sniper rifle to bear. The thing turned and bolted out of the door even as I snapped off three rounds in quick succession, each impacting ever-so-slightly behind the thing's trailing dreadlocks. With a curse I re-slung the rifle and ran after it, leaving my shotgun behind. The others followed suit, albeit at a slower pace. My blood was boiling, here was a challenge, a worthy enemy to destroy. I ran past openings in the wall, which showed a large gymnasium. Oddly enough there were several rings of five or six people each in there, all sitting down and playing cards, seemingly oblivious to the battle that had just taken place. Without pausing to give that thought I turned the corner and ran through the door the thing had gone through...

Into a farmyard filled with blazing sunlight. The school/hospital was in the middle of a farm. As I briefly contemplated this the other survivors split up in twos and threes and began looking for the last creature, checking in containers and under vehicles. I ignored them, my gaze drawn to a lone barn, several hundred yards away in a field. I knew that's where I would find it. I ran over to the entrance, leaving the others behind. Sure enough there at the far end of the truly vast barn was the alien. It looked at me for half a second before bellowing and racing at me. With no time to draw and aim my sniper I grabbed the twin weapons on my hips and brought them to bear on the quickly closing alien. I pulled the triggers and with a high-pitched whine brilliant bolts of white-blue plasma raced down range, splattering against the thing's torso and gouging out large holes from which crimson blood streamed. It kept coming, but I moved the streams of projectiles along its body until they sliced off both of its arms at the shoulder, and then I did the same with the legs right as the alien was about to reach me. Its mutilated stump, gushing red blood, lay at my feet, still twitching. I raised my weapons and fired a double-burst into the thing's head, evaporating it.

As I heard the cheers of my fellow survivors, one thought kept racing through my head, even as all faded to white and I woke up that thought remained. Why was the blood red and not green?

/End Story

So yeah, oddly enough that wasn't a nightmare for me, seeing as I was kickin' arse and chewing bubblegum through the second half of it. However, I'm a little afraid of what this says about my psyche (what's left of it). Could anybody tell me what this could possibly mean? Oh, and I hadn't watched Aliens, Predator, Iron Man, or played Halo for about a month when I had this dream...

Boom-De-Ah-Da. The World Is Just Awesome.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Last night I dreamed I was trying to play a bassoon, but when I put the long, hollow reed in my mouth, it was broken and floppy and I couldn't get it to work.

Freud would have a field day.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
That made me laugh.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:53 am 
arcosh wrote:
.I had one of thoose repeatedly waking up, and then finding out you are still dreaming, to wake up again dreams...

I only used to have those as a student, when I was particularly nervous about an exam. I'd wake up, go and sit the exam, then wake up, realise the exam had just been a dream, go and sit it again, then wake up........

By the time the real exam came round I was exhausted, having already done the bugger several times in my head.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:25 am 
A friend of mine, did wake up, needing to go to the loo, so he climbed down (he did sleep in a loft bed back then), only to find out that someone had removed the toilet. He did wake up again, and had to climb down again.

I have waking up repeatedly dreams quite often. Too bad i could not take the extra room my apartment had back to reality, i could use the space. An other night, i woke up, and going out of my bedroom, i did slip, but managed to grab the doorframe and prevent to fall. I was hanging on the doorframe, not being able to get any tracktion with my feet. Until i realized, that my arms are not strong enough to hold myself in that position for such a long time, then i woke up again. An other night i woke up on my couch and various relatives were in my apartment, because i had left the door open, and they had come for some reason, that never was explained. They were pretty unconcerned about that.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat