Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ] 

Post subject: Re: Strange Dreams
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Whenever I begin thinking I'm dreaming, I enter a sequence of dreams that I'm waking up that very rapidly result in my actually waking up. I never get stuck or left wondering for more than a few subjective seconds.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:33 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
No specific dreams to recount, just an observation; I'd always thought the idea of a dream being brought on by something you ate to be just an old wives' tale (generic sitcom scene: husband is seducing unattractive neighbor; wakes up to find it was just a dream; says, "I need to stop eating chili cheese nachos before bed"; cue laugh track). But over the past couple weeks I've been trying a new food plan to see if it gives me better blood sugar control (results so far: ehh) and I've been having REALLY vivid and weird dreams every night. Could just be a coincidence of course, but I wonder if changing up my diet really did rattle my subconscious somehow.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:57 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
THAT is pretty nifty, inspiration. I never heard of just straight diet giving vivid dreams. Any interesting stuff in those dreams?

Also: anyone try lucid dreaming? I'm tempted to try after an excellent Radiolab short.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Last night I had a dream about a game show where participants are supposed to navigate an obstacle course in their evening wear. The game show host who was narrating the action called it Fancy Falls.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:17 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Last night, I dreamed that I had accidentally entered an international woolly goat competition as a member of a team of 4 representing the USA. I got the impression the competition was held in England or Wales. It was spectacularly badly managed. We only discovered that the (timed) event had started by noticing the other participants had begun without objections, and we hadn't been assigned a goat yet (though we got one promptly upon demanding it). The instructions were shouted at us through a very distorting public address system, and the large monitors that you'd expect to be showing something related to the event were instead showing google maps with 'pins' pointing to the realtime-updated locations of cars belonging to Google members who had signed up to have their locations tracked and published (taxis and buses, I guess?). These maps were each showing a several-block region near the center of a different minor city in continental Europe.

One event was getting the goat to jump in the pool and swim a lap, then retrieve something from the bottom. We also needed to hold them by the neck to the side of the pool for a short time, without getting in the pool. For this purpose, we were handed crooks (six or so of them for the four of us; we passed the extras on to the next team). Some of our competitors had to work with pool noodles, and another team was handed tire irons or something equally inappropriate (but indeterminate - the dream impression was literally 'tire irons or something equally inappropriate').

Another was the 'grooming' event, and at the end of the dream I discovered that we were scored based on how much the goat objected to the grooming at the time!

The final event (aside from getting to the judge to stop the timer) was the 'cramming the goat into a top-loading washing machine' challenge. Our washing machine was normal sized on the outside, but the clothes compartment was the size of a salad spinner (and it had two of them - it was also a front-loader with that compartment in the bottom right corner, but we weren't supposed to use that part), so I went hunting for a judge. I ended up in someone's home, where I tried to borrow their laundry machine, but gave up and returned. There, I accosted a judge. He spoke very poor english, so instead I tried to piece together what another judge was saying in German to one of the other teams with a similar problem. That team was the Iranian team, and they demanded (and got) a judge that spoke Farsi.

Fortunately, one of the other team members had gotten a straight answer. Due to the impossibility of the final challenge, any team that complained enough was allowed to substitute the relatively easy 'getting the goat into a jumpsuit' challenge, at which point they were to present the goat to the judges.

We ended up right behind the Iranian team, and one screen was changed over from its map to show a score-report. A huge number of badges were shown, then those which did not apply fell away. The Iranians had done pretty well, and as they trotted off, the Czech team began complaining that we had cut in line (though they had just finished and we'd been waiting). The judges ignored them, but they continued complaining, and because of it, we didn't get a very clear explanation of the scoring system at all - only finding out what was noted earlier - but I'm pretty sure we did very badly, but better than one would expect given that we had never even tried it before and didn't know each other. Also, the Czechs were annoyed that they had managed to do even worse than us despite being a professional, nationally sponsored team.

~~~~

This, bar none, is the WEIRDEST dream I have ever had. I did not embellish this in the least after waking up.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
The military set up a bunch of explosives to destroy the plot macguffin and end the simulation. I have no idea what that meant, but as soon as the explosives went off, so too did my alarm clock. That was so damn weird.

Also, at some point in the middle of the night, I woke up because there was a woman in my dream that was screaming. It took me a second or two to realize it, but when I woke up I could still hear the woman screaming. Eventually I figured out that it was the way air was passing through my nose that was creating a scream-like sound and that had somehow filtered into my dreams.

@drachefly
That might possibly be one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
I need to get in the habit of recording my dreams, as I tend to have very weird ones. The last one I vaguely remember was something about whales attacking a ship I was on, something to do with going into space to repair a satellite, alien manipulations behind the scenes, and... yeah. All that together in one dream.

I tend to have the 'best' dreams if I've had caffeine before I sleep - that generally keeps me such that I'm right in the zone for having dreams - usually very strange dreams.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 am 
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
I kept a dream journal once. After I started recording them, my dreams started getting weirder and weirder and scarier and scarier, so eventually I had to stop.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 pm 
Cram the goat into a washing machine! Bwahahaha! Yegads!

On one or two occasions, I dreamed that Ngau was being a royal jerkface, and then I woke up actually angry with him. He was very confused. Dream Ngau is a dick.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:56 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Last night I dreamed I was trying to get into the men's bathroom but Turk and J.D. from Scrubs were hogging the urinal, so I threw a hissy fit, and then I woke up and I really did desperately need to empty my bladder.

I told my husband and he said, "Boy, you're lucky the bathroom wasn't free."

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 pm 
All I can remember about last night's dream was that me and a bunch of college students SCUBA dived down to the wreck of the RMS Titanic, and they were giving us all this stuff about pressurizing our bodies and space allocations, it was bizarre...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 am 
Have you ever tried copying text in a dream? Or text and numbers? I did that once. I think it was supposed to a password. For some reason it was very important that I get it right. Important and time sensitive. Life and death.
Needless to say, the text changed. Not only what I was copying from, but the text I had just entered. And then the letters on the keyboard started changing.

Now if I had just remembered that being unable to read the same thing twice is a classic indicator of the dream state, I could have had a really cool lucid dream rather than a trapped in amber nightmare.

Then there was the time I watched a little too much Star Trek and had a dream about Romeo and Juliet... Only in this version Juliet was the Borg Queen and Romeo was the man she had loved before she was assimilated. When they next met, some Federation scientists had implanted (without his knowledge) some kind of virus thingy in his head that was supposed to destroy the Collective. She assimilated him, then killed him before it could take full effect when she realized what was happening. I woke up shortly after that, just as she was arriving at Earth with a fleet of cubes and a desire for revenge.
That was cool...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:02 pm 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
Last night, I dreamed I was at a house party with my family and a bunch of my coworkers, past and present. There was tons of drinking and debauchery going on, but at eight o'clock precisely, a very fancy tea service was brought out, and everyone was expected to stop whatever they were doing, have a cup of tea, and watch Downton Abbey.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
That's pretty awesome.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:04 am 
I had a nice, filled-with-obvious-symbolism dream last night. Yay!

I was in front of a group of publishers who told me, in very blunt language, that I was a terrible writer and to please not submit work to any of them again. I had a breakdown in front of them, and begged them to consider me again. One of the publishers scrunched up her nose and said, "You know, I really don't like you, Ms. Weatherwax. I don't think I could work with you again."

"Am I really that bad?" I asked, blubbering.

The publishers all calmly replied with variations of, "Oh, yes, pretty terrible," while nodding.

I slunk out of the office, paging through my manuscript. Here's the kicker: my novel was a drippy, obvious ripoff of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It read like a terrible fanfic. So, in my dream, I really was a terrible writer.

It didn't help that the publishers were represented by the Cracked.com team featured in After Hours. Next time I watch one of their videos, I'll feel nothing but shame.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat