Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ] 

Post subject: Re: Strange Dreams
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
In my dream, I got a rock.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:43 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Jorodryn wrote:
In my dream, I got a rock.

Was it a nice rock?

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
The Tour de France was on, and president Obama made a remark praising a particular Indian-American bicyclist.

The next day, the cyclist died in an extremely stupid accident on a mountain.

I heard about this obliquely from my father. I decided to google the event. I accidentally image-searched. It turned out that a lot of comics had dealt with this. The second hit was Garfield (which doesn't make sense due to his buffer), but the first was a (nonexistent) popular print comic which decided that this was the right day to introduce a recurring cameo character: Cheerilee.

As I puzzled over this, I was distracted by the TV (which I never have on IRL), where Newt Gingrich was blasting the president for his lack of judgement. They were about to cut away to a snappy comeback when I woke up.

(edited to clarify who died, since it seems it wasn't clear)

Last edited by drachefly on Tue May 08, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:54 am 
drachefly wrote:
The Tour de France was on, and president Obama made a remark praising a particular Indian-American bicyclist.

The next day, he died in an extremely stupid accident on a mountain.

That's ambiguous - was it the President or the cyclist who died on the mountain?

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 am 
I dreamed I was teaching one of my parrots to play a Loco Roco-like collect-the-fruit game which she could somehow control the game by licking the console's screen. She's my really stupid OCD feather plucking parrot, and I was trying to train her to play the game by getting her to lick the juice off my fingers, which I was dribbing on the screen to get her to follow the trail. I don't know, it made sense in the dream!

And then she turned into a middle-aged man, who hit on me. The man was bald.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I dreamed that I was selected to be the baby daddy for a lesbian couple because I looked like a bearded lady. Not sure if that's offensive or not but the self deprecation is pretty funny.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 pm 
Here's one I had a few nights ago:

I was a terran marine from Starcraft. My platoon and I were fighting the Zerg when one of the zerglings managed to slice my forearms off, one at the wrist and the other in the mid-forearm. I managed to kill it (somehow) and a buddy ran up and jammed them back into place. To my surprise I could still use my hands, but they felt like they had pins and needles all over. I ran back to base, afraid at any moment that they would fall back off again. I didn't feel any pain; n the dream I attributed it to being in shock from the injury. I made it to the hospital, and was shown into a sterile white waiting room. I sat there, staring at my hands. It was at this point that I realized that this was all a dream, and that there was no possible way my hands could still work after being severed. I pulled my armored gauntlets off apprehensively and found no evidence of my injuries beyond a pair of pale scars. At this point the relief flooding me made me wake up and ended the dream.

Anyone care to analyze this? I have no idea what it means...

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
Galaxy Hunter wrote:
Here's one I had a few nights ago:

I was a terran marine from Starcraft. My platoon and I were fighting the Zerg when one of the zerglings managed to slice my forearms off, one at the wrist and the other in the mid-forearm. I managed to kill it (somehow) and a buddy ran up and jammed them back into place. To my surprise I could still use my hands, but they felt like they had pins and needles all over. I ran back to base, afraid at any moment that they would fall back off again. I didn't feel any pain; n the dream I attributed it to being in shock from the injury. I made it to the hospital, and was shown into a sterile white waiting room. I sat there, staring at my hands. It was at this point that I realized that this was all a dream, and that there was no possible way my hands could still work after being severed. I pulled my armored gauntlets off apprehensively and found no evidence of my injuries beyond a pair of pale scars. At this point the relief flooding me made me wake up and ended the dream.

Anyone care to analyze this? I have no idea what it means...

You've played quite a lot of Starcraft, and you've imagined what it would be like to be a marine in the game, and you started to dream about it. The dream stayed true to the game up to the point where you would have been killed (in accordance with the marine's average life expectancy of 6.4 seconds in combat), at which point you exercised authorial override and refused to die. Things became stranger from that point, until finally you realized you were dreaming.

Oh, you mean analyze analyze?
Hmm, let me see.

Ahem, yes: The zergling is a personification of the times you have been rejected or put down a romantically, the loss of your forearms (and you gun) obviously symbolizes castration or removal of the phallus (metaphorically speaking), the buddy who jammed them back on reflects that you rely on your friends to help you recover from life's disappointments, and your lingering anxiety and the pins and needles reflects your fear you may have been permanently beaten or damaged by life. However when you realized it was a dream and pulled off your gauntlets to see only faded scars, you realized that you can recover from your disappointments, which made you so happy that you woke up.

There, does that do it?

Last edited by OrzBrain on Thu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:50 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
It's also possible you were sleeping on your arms, and they fell asleep.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:08 pm 
And numerologically speaking, that fact that three things were cut off of you (both forearms and your gun) while in battle naturally suggests a link to the triple goddess Morrígan, which may mean that you feel a need to get in touch with your Irish ancestry (or if you are unaware of your Irish ancestry that you feel a need to find out about it). I can set you up with a travel agent I know who can give you a great discount on a trip to the old country.

Oh, and I charge $95 per hour, and working out these detailed dream analyses and researching the symbolism took, shall we say, two and a half hours. I can give you my email address if you prefer to use Paypal, or you can just send me cash. Happy doing business with you!

(And now you know what it would be like to visit an analyst.)

Vote for Sluggy Freelance on Top Web Comics. You can vote once every 24 hours. No registration required!

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:18 pm 
Thanks... I think. I could mention the one I had immediately afterward where everyone around me were things from the movie 'The Thing', but I already know what that means...

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:18 pm 
Galaxy Hunter wrote:
Thanks... I think. I could mention the one I had immediately afterward where everyone around me were things from the movie 'The Thing', but I already know what that means...

In my professional opinion that probably relates to the time you spent in Antarctica when you were the only survivor of that research station. There is a possibility you might be suffering from some PTSD, survivor's guilt, and/or an uncontrollable urge to consume the human race. Feel free to contact me any time for a complete examination*.

*Treatment may involve a flamethrower.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:34 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
This thread is starting to sound suspiciously like it belongs in WGARS... not that there's anything wrong with that. :sasha:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:37 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I was playing a weird game that felt like a cross between Unreal Tournament and Team Fortress 2. The team's bases were two giant jungle gyms made of wood, and you played by climbing the jungle gyms and swinging from place to place like a chimpanzee. The bases were separated by a twenty foot wide chasm. You crossed the chasm by two different foot bridges. Walking along them was faster, but left you at the mercy of players travelling along the rafters from above, who had to traverse much more slowly but had a perfect shot at taking you out if you took the foot bridge.

I was on team red and I didn't know what I was doing. For the most part I just ran around defending red base from the blue team. I was ambushed by Tahno, that waterbending jackass from the Legend of Korra, and I was thrown into the chasm. Apparently my defending our base was the only thing keeping our team from losing because the enemy scored three times in rapid succession and we lost by the time I respawned.

Sad and dejected after my defeat, I wandered the streets for a while. Eventually I was found by Misaka Mikoto, the level 5 Railgun. She hugged me to cheer me up and it felt warm.

It was raining heavily while I slept, and at that exact moment a lightning strike landed somewhere nearby and the resulting thunderclap woke me up. Apparently the Railgun knows when you're dreaming about her and doesn't take too kindly to that. I think I should take a break from anime for a while and just focus on Dwarf Fortress.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 pm 
My brother and I were flying F-35's across the country for some really stupid reason... I accidentally flew too low and somehow wound up stuck in my ejector seat in a tree...

Don't bother analyzing this one, I know what it means: I played way too much Ace Combat: Assault Horizon before bed.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 156 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat