Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:54 pm 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
I need a handful of people who have extra emails they can use for registration to test out some things for me.

*DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER YET -PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST!*

I have implemented a new registration method that requires an answer to a sluggy related question. I have had a couple people register since who seem to have made it through as well as my own test account and I have had NO SPAMMERS WHATSOEVER! :kiki: I did find an issue when registering a test account that I thought had been fixed so I want to do further testing. So I want to get a group of testers together and have you test some registration things for me. You will need an email account aside from the account connected to your current account. The test accounts you create will eventually be deleted since we do not want everyone to have multiple accounts. I can delete each account after you test registration so you can re-register with that same email, so only one spare email is actually necessary. I will set up a private group with more details about what I want tested once I have a small group of willing vict..testers.

I am currently cleaning out all the old active and inactive spammers and it feels so good because they are not getting replaced in larger numbers than the ones I removed which made all my previous efforts feel like tinkling on a forest fire. We were getting multiple hundreds on a daily basis, half of which never activated and stayed in the inactive list as little time bombs to pop up later when they got around to activating. None of the anti-spam mods were working. I haven't been active on the boards since I spend all my time tackling the deluge of spammers. I was even about a year behind on the comic (I've caught up now). Some of you are probably thinking "Is that Wile E! We didn't think she really existed!", well, I do, even though I can't seem to get my old avatar to work.

Again, do not try to register yet. I want to have a set list of things I want tested. If you are interested in helping please post here and say so. I will give it a few days to get my summer spammer cleaning done and prep a behind the scenes test area. If you do not already have a custom title or rank, I will probably pay you for your help with one of those. If you do have one, then you will just have to accept my gratitude and maybe some *checks pockets* ... lint.

You can post here and comment even if you don't want to help, just please make it clear you are not interested in being a tester in the first line of your post so I don't add you to the group.

THANKS!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 pm 
Sure, I've got nothing better to do. Sign me up.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:22 pm 
I will do it, FOR SCIENCE!

In other words, I'm in.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:55 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Well, since I'm not having to delete a hundred (or more) spammer posts per day now, I have a little extra time to help.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:50 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Since Zil is a mod does that mean he'll get a really embarrassing rank? I hope so.

Might I suggest mailinator.com for all your email needs? Mailinator provides a domain for non-password protected email addresses so nothing is private but it allows fast account creation because you can make up emails on the spot without having to register them. Also, inboxes are wiped clean like every few hours or so so nothing lingers.

Also, LINT?!? count me in!

Also, is this what you're looking for? Just edit my post and copy the link (minus the img and url tags) and then use that on your control panel. Should work...

I took it from LJ. For some reason LJ does not allow hotlinking of userpics you have to upload them to a different site like flickr or photobucket...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 pm 
I'm sorry -no, not really- to disappoint you Dodger. You could give me a rank of "Disciple of Poopy Pants", but "Moderator" overrides the other ranks.

Hey! Wile, I think I have the perfect rank for all of the testers...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
Sure, count me in. I could use a new hobby! :)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:22 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I consider myself ashamed for not being as active with my Gatekeeper duties as I should otherwise have been, so consider me in on the testing.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:41 am 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
Dodger77 wrote:
Since Zil is a mod does that mean he'll get a really embarrassing rank? I hope so.

Might I suggest mailinator.com for all your email needs? Mailinator provides a domain for non-password protected email addresses so nothing is private but it allows fast account creation because you can make up emails on the spot without having to register them. Also, inboxes are wiped clean like every few hours or so so nothing lingers.

Also, LINT?!? count me in!

Also, is this what you're looking for? Just edit my post and copy the link (minus the img and url tags) and then use that on your control panel. Should work...

I took it from LJ. For some reason LJ does not allow hotlinking of userpics you have to upload them to a different site like flickr or photobucket...

Why do you have my avatar? I know I had it on my LJ but I haven't logged into that thing in forever. I also use it in gravatar but linking that url didn't work.

Part of what I want to test is if there are issues with certain domains, i.e gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc., so I'd rather everyone not use mailinator.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:14 am 
Nifty Admin of Doom
Nifty Admin of Doom
I'll be glad to help, Wile.

And Dodger has your avatar because he is a stalker ;)

oooh, I should go put on my Skullx summer avatar if I can find it!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:12 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Wile E wrote:
Why do you have my avatar?

Er. well, you said you were having trouble getting it to work,so I thought I'd help you out. I will absolutely take it down if you aren't using the link I provided. Also I think gravatar has to be specifically implemented if we want to use it here.

dotwarner wrote:
Hopefully, I'm less annoying and creepy than Kahzmick...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:26 pm 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
Dodger77 wrote:
Wile E wrote:
Why do you have my avatar?

Er. well, you said you were having trouble getting it to work,so I thought I'd help you out. I will absolutely take it down if you aren't using the link I provided. Also I think gravatar has to be specifically implemented if we want to use it here.

dotwarner wrote:
Hopefully, I'm less annoying and creepy than Kahzmick...

No, that's fine. I'm using it and I appreciate it but it did seem a little stalkery :oasis: but you are indeed less creepy than Kahzmick.

I'm going to try to get this going either later in the week or early next week. I have to set some stuff up and I'll notify you all when it's ready to go.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:32 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Sure, I'm game. About the only thing that I have coming up is recruiting authors for BFC at Dragon Con.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Is that a Skullx (Aaron Wood) avatar? Looks like it.

Somewhere in the bowels of the internet is a page with most/all of them. I haven't seen it in years, but since it's the Internet it's SOMEWHERE... so I guess it's not unreasonable to think someone found it.

Or hey, you have a stalker. The new furniture looks great from your lawn.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 am 
Celadon wrote:
Is that a Skullx (Aaron Wood) avatar? Looks like it.

Somewhere in the bowels of the internet is a page with most/all of them. I haven't seen it in years, but since it's the Internet it's SOMEWHERE... so I guess it's not unreasonable to think someone found it.

Or hey, you have a stalker. The new furniture looks great from your lawn.
Here be the Bowels

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat